Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to NSW Supreme Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
??? You’ve lost the plot my guy .
The reason it relates to the Tour de France is they have to put themselves through literally torture to compete and get more oxygen in thier blood.
If you arnt willing to torture yourself to compete to win …. Then what the hell is the point? If that’s what it takes to win ?
I’m not saying it does . I’m more just pointing it doesn’t not either …. Only elite nrl programs , which as been highlighted in the Titmus case , arnt always where they should be , would know this .
Yeah! I’ve lost the plot!!!
Crap comparison have a Bex and a lie down!
I’ll give u a glue, he’s not torturing himself…

Ever watched the Tour de France. Athletes torturing themselves. Sport is not life, it is extreme. Players choose it. As long as the bloke had the right to walk away, nothing to see here.
So what level of touture and humiliation should nrl players be signing up to in order to keep their job? Should they have to be OK with electrocuting, waterboarding? Bring some of that gitmo flavour. Hell, humiliation was one of them so they've got that alresdy.

No one would argue physical punishment to drive standards. Laps, hour more training. This is not that.

Its obvious that they hadn't set the punishment upfront along with the standards either.. How is a kid supposed to know what he is signing up to? He might have picked a club who use less dumb techniques.

What Topine went through, doesn't appear to be fair nor reasonable.

In most workplace policies there is always a standard that they provide a safe work environment.

This is seems a clear cut case, I am with you @Snidest 0 - reading a lot of comments saying this is his job, this is what he signed up for, he should've worked in library instead if he didn't like the hard work, etc etc - but the club has let him down here.

*Speculation*
I think there is more to this story.
From the outside, looking in, it seems like Topine has fallen out of favour with the coach, coaching staff, club in general.
Might be because of this incident, might be because this incident was made public, might be because they don't rate him as a player - who knows.
He has been at the club since a young man & with the mistreatment, I believe it would have had a prominent effect on Topine.
They essentially put him on show in front of the whole team, for being late.
Api got his hair dyed blonde for being late at Tigers.
Anyway, this alleged humiliation and seclusion would be considered workplace bullying. This case could get ugly and the Bulldogs have a lot to answer for.

So what level of touture and humiliation should nrl players be signing up to in order to keep their job? Should they have to be OK with electrocuting, waterboarding? Bring some of that gitmo flavour. Hell, humiliation was one of them so they've got that alresdy.

No one would argue physical punishment to drive standards. Laps, hour more training. This is not that.

Its obvious that they hadn't set the punishment upfront along with the standards either.. How is a kid supposed to know what he is signing up to? He might have picked a club who use less dumb techniques.
He was asked wrestle teammates. Which is in his job description .One bloke on here compared it to touching boobs and now you’ve gone all Guantanamo Bay haha you’re watching too much news people

He was asked wrestle teammates. Which is in his job description .One bloke on here compared it to touching boobs and now you’ve gone all Guantanamo Bay haha you’re watching too much news people
He was asked to wrestle his teammates one by one until the point he couldn’t stand.
Thats over 30 players.
The punishment here wasn’t only physical… it was done to break him mentally as well.
This kid was captain of the Australian schoolboys so obviously had some talent and has trained hard for many years.
The fact that his fellow players wanted it to stop or to ease up on him and were told to go harder on him by the trainer should tell you something.
It’s all good to just throw in a ‘toughen up kid’ but we’re in an age now, whether we like it or not, to have a duty of care to the people in our control.
The trainer pushed it too far and now people are ducking everywhere.

He was asked to wrestle his teammates one by one until the point he couldn’t stand.
Thats over 30 players.
The punishment here wasn’t only physical… it was done to break him mentally as well.
This kid was captain of the Australian schoolboys so obviously had some talent and has trained hard for many years.
The fact that his fellow players wanted it to stop or to ease up on him and were told to go harder on him by the trainer should tell you something.
It’s all good to just throw in a ‘toughen up kid’ but we’re in an age now, whether we like it or not, to have a duty of care to the people in our control.
The trainer pushed it too far and now people are ducking everywhere.
You were there?

Losing this legal battle has the potential to cause Jackson mental anguish as much as the Bulldogs trying to drive higher standards. Hopefully his lawyer is being motivated by duty of care and not $.

Of course not.
I am going off the reports…. which include players being unhappy with what happened.
I suppose you were there to forge your opinion?
I have an opinion based on suspicion. If my suspicions are wrong I’ll stand corrected.

They say be careful what you read.

The comparisons to Keith Titmuss' situation are a joke.

The evidence about that situation is only just coming out. There is no confirmed or verified details about Topine's situation.

Given that; reign it in with the grandstanding, holier-than-thou, gargantuan sack of assumptive flailing.

He very well could be telling the truth and not exaggerating.

Or, it could be a case of a disgruntled employee, using hyperbole to drum up a pr storm to secure a pay day after falling out of favour with his employer.

I'd rather wait until the facts ACTUALLY come out before I start throwing tomatoes.

What I'm wondering is why, at no point, Jackson didn't say something along the lines of 'Boys, I'm cooked, I need a break'. Seems as though that what most normal people would do in a situation where your employer put you through something that made you apparently 'unable to stand'.

Or do you believe that his team mates would've smashed him into the ground continually on the mats despite mentioning that he was exhausted? I know which seems more implausable to me at the moment.

Let's wait to find out.

The comparisons to Keith Titmuss' situation are a joke.

The evidence about that situation is only just coming out. There is no confirmed or verified details about Topine's situation.

Given that; reign it in with the grandstanding, holier-than-thou, gargantuan sack of assumptive flailing.

He very well could be telling the truth and not exaggerating.

Or, it could be a case of a disgruntled employee, using hyperbole to drum up a pr storm to secure a pay day after falling out of favour with his employer.

I'd rather wait until the facts ACTUALLY come out before I start throwing tomatoes.

What I'm wondering is why, at no point, Jackson didn't say something along the lines of 'Boys, I'm cooked, I need a break'. Seems as though that what most normal people would do in a situation where your employer put you through something that made you apparently 'unable to stand'.

Or do you believe that his team mates would've smashed him into the ground continually on the mats despite mentioning that he was exhausted? I know which seems more implausable to me at the moment.

Let's wait to find out.
You know what they say about common sense…

I just find it very hard to believe that they would risk that sort of punishment on all their players - quite different to having to dye your hair. No problem with setting standards around hard work they get paid well to play NRL.
Very easy to make an example of a lesser player with this type of punishment to make a point or set a standard. If this was standard punishment for all players the player has no case.

I just find it very hard to believe that they would risk that sort of punishment on all their players - quite different to having to dye your hair. No problem with setting standards around hard work they get paid well to play NRL.
Very easy to make an example of a lesser player with this type of punishment to make a point or set a standard. If this was standard punishment for all players the player has no case.
Generally in rugby league wrestling training one player starts on all fours and another player attempts to place the player on their back using wrestling techniques. I’d like to point that out, it’s turning somebody on their back. If you did this 35 times I have no doubt whatsoever you would be extremely tired and exhausted and muscles would be on fire, but permanently mentally injured??

Last edited:
Generally in rugby league wrestling training one player starts on all fours and another player attempts to place the player on their back using wrestling techniques. I’d like to point that out, it’s turning somebody on their back. If you did this 35 times I have no doubt whatsoever you would be extremely tired and exhausted and muscles would be on fire, but permanently mentally injured??
I guess it will all come out before the court. No doubt the Bulldogs will be vigorously defending their position. In the times of suing no doubt all clubs and players will be watching with interest.

This will go away quietly, Bulldogs have endless $$$ and the NRL would want this to go away just the same.
This won't reach a verdict. The more noise it creates in the media will determine how much and how fast it's settled.

Plays 2nd row where we are light on troops. Could be a good pick up for our situation, but the concern is the court case distraction amongst other things.
Why not, if he comes late to training here and he has to spin the wheel the worst he is going to get is his hair bleached :ROFLMAO:

The point wasn't gitmo. The point was where is the line? And had he agreed to that?

The "wrestle" I.e. physical part here isn't the issue. I think that's where you're stuck. It's ths mental. It was ALL his peers were made to inflict it and the trainer told them not to help. That's ostracising and just cruel. I have no idea how that would result in the desired outcome..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back