Juniors - Pathways General Discussion

Here is my attempt at our best 17 in each age group from 21yos down to 16yos. I'm pretty confident of the ages but if anyone finds a mistake, let me know and I'll update my list.

No real purpose for these except to help us keep the faith with the quality. I've kept them in their age group (even though someone like a 19yo Heath Mason would be a best fullback up to 21yos).

Enjoy!
Need to pin this!

Good luck Wests Tigers City Country reps​

Wests Tigers Thu 16 May 2024, 11:05 PM

Share on social media​

Good luck to all Wests Tigers players who are in action at Leichhardt Oval this weekend at the NSW City v NSW Country carnival.

Seven of the club’s women’s pathways players will line up for the NSW City and NSW Country teams, with a further 14 Wests Tigers pathways players on show in the junior men's City & Country teams.

Also representing the club this weekend is Wests Tigers Football Program Coordinator (Wests/Macarthur), Bryce Crane who will line up for City in the physical disability rugby league match on Sunday morning.

Several players from Wests Magpies Harold Matthews team are in the City U16s including hooker Ashton Large, five-eighth Jhevon Lele, winger Thomas Goodfield and forward Siotame Havea Jr.

Ashton Large against the Warriors in the Harold Matthews Cup Grand Final
Ashton Large against the Warriors in the Harold Matthews Cup Grand Final
Also gaining selection from Wests Harold Matthews team is talented centre Heamasi Makasini, who will play up an
age, in the City U18s.

Harold Matthew Cup Player of the Year Heamasi Makasini
Harold Matthew Cup Player of the Year Heamasi Makasini
Former Magpies premiership winning Harold Matthews player Luke Laulilii, who has played SG Ball and NSW Cup
this season, is also in the City U18s team.

74439538_lauliliil-240427_bc_17554_2024427154753.jpg

Macarthur Wests Tigers Andrew Johns Cup team has supplied several players to teh been rewarded for its strong season,
after making it to the grand final.

Andrew Sio in action in the Andrew Johns Cup Grand Final
Andrew Sio in action in the Andrew Johns Cup Grand Final
Three players from that team are in the Country U16s, including forwards Jake Gaffney, Andrew Sio, Kye Penfold.

Macarthur Wests Tigers are also well represented in the Country U18s squad, after making it through to this year's semi-finals in the Laurie Daley Cup.

Captain Archie Duncombe is joined by prop Kohan Lewis, hooker Dylan Smith, and speedy outside back, Saint Fuatimau.

The boys line up: Wests Tigers City v Country Under 16s & Under 18s
The boys line up: Wests Tigers City v Country Under 16s & Under 18s
Five players from the Wests Tigers Lisa
Fiaola Cup will be in action for the NSW City Under 17s, including second row and captain Lucyannah Luamanu-Leiataua.

Wests Tigers Lisa Fiaola Cup co-captain Lucyannah Luamanu-Leiataua
Wests Tigers Lisa Fiaola Cup co-captain Lucyannah Luamanu-Leiataua
She is joined in the squad by middle forwards Angel Schaafhausen-Mino and
May Fuimaono, hooker Paige Attard, and fullback Rhiannon Bonner.

Tarsha Gale Cup vice-captain Claudia Brown will line up for NSW City Under 19s up against her Wests Tigers teammate Cheyenne Baker, who has
been picked for the NSW Country team.

Tarsha Gale Cup vice-captain Claudia Brown
Tarsha Gale Cup vice-captain Claudia Brown
Wests Tigers wish to congratulate all
pathways players who have been chosen to represent City and Country later in the month.

Such strong representation in these squads is consistent with Wests Tigers strategic priority of being a ‘development’ club.

Some of these players are also currently involved in Wests Tigers CUBS Tour to Tamworth which will culminate in a game against Newcastle U18s Development at Scully Park on Saturday.

NSW COUNTRY V NSW CITY SCHEDULE

Saturday 18 May at Leichardt Oval

11:00am – Under 16s NSW Country v NSW City
12.35pm – Under 18s NSW Country v NSW City
2.20pm – Men’s Open Age NSW Country v NSW City

Saturday 18 May at Whitlam Leisure Centre
4:00pm – Wheelchair Rugby League NSW Country v NSW City

Sunday 19 May at Leichhardt Oval
10:00am – Physical Disability Rugby League
11.15am – Under 17s Girls NSW Country v NSW City
12.50pm – Under 19s Women NSW Country v NSW City
2.25pm – Women’s Police NSW Country v NSW City
4:00pm – Men’s Police NSW Country v NSW City

Full squads can be found on the NSWRL website

Does anyone know when our junior rep presentation night is? A few clubs have had their awards over the past week.

A number of WT pathways players have been selected for the National Schoolboy Carnival.

NSWCCC 18s
Jared Haywood (hooker - Balmain SG Ball)
Lucas Rossi (prop - Macarthur WT Laurie Daley Cup)

NSWCIS 18s
Onitoni Large (5/8 - Wests HM)
Heamasi Makasini (centre - Wests HM)

NSWCHS 18s
Aaron Keppie (hooker - Macarthur WT Laurie Daley Cup)
Phoenix Godinet (2nd row - Wests HM)
Peter Ta'ai (lock - Wests HM)

Apologies if I've missed anyone.

A number of WT pathways players have been selected for the National Schoolboy Carnival.

NSWCCC 18s

NSWCIS 18s

NSWCHS 18s

Jared Haywood played an absolute blinder for Blacktown Pats in the halves today in Peter Mulholland Schoolboys Cup the kid is very special. In my opinion he is a more complete 9 than TDS.

I know its not totally related and some may be bit tired of me going on about it but Mikey Nasser was picked at Fullback for the CHS side ahead of Wests Tiger Ali Karnib. I was also told by my son that Bronson Harrison has been in constant communication with Nasser's family and has got Mikey Nasser registered with Ryde Eastwood Hawks which is a collection of Wests Tigers SG Ball team players for next year which is very promising for us getting him back. He ran for over 300m in both CHS NSW trials at fullback this kid is gun and our junior. I just saw this in the Telegraph today re schoolboys cup.

An early finals exit in 2023 for Hills Sports High School has only strengthened the ambition to go even further in the Peter Mulholland Cup this season, according to coach Scott Jones.
And with most of last year’s squad, which exited at the quarter-final stage to St Dominic’s, still intact, Jones is confident their strong foundation will produce results.

“We have a really strong squad and I think we’re strong every year,” Jones said.

“That’s something we always pride ourselves on.”

Hills kick off their 2024 campaign against Hunter High School on Wednesday at Eric Tweedale Stadium in Merrylands from 11am.

The Hills squad features plenty of junior reps experience, but Jones said one player has really stood out.

“Mikey Nassar is a superstar,” Jones said.

“He’s a real high quality, elite rugby league player.”

Nassar missed the whole 2023 season with a shattered kneecap but has been impressive on his return to SG Ball with the Roosters.

With Nassar now in year 12 and on his final try for NRL Schoolboys glory, Jones said he was itching to get on the pitch.

“I just know he’s dying to put on that Hills Sports High jersey,” Jones said.

“It’s something he’s been looking forward to do at that level for a really long time.

“So he’s one without a doubt I’m really keen to watch and just get the best out of him.”

Jones admitted fitness and nursing some niggling injuries may be a concern for the opening round, with many of the boys involved in the NSW CHS championships.

“I know a few of the boys will be bashed and battered,” Jones said.

“I’m hoping there’s nothing too serious, just a few corks here and there, and that we can put our best team on the field.”

Jared Haywood played an absolute blinder for Blacktown Pats in the halves today in Peter Mulholland Schoolboys Cup the kid is very special. In my opinion he is a more complete 9 than TDS.

I know its not totally related and some may be bit tired of me going on about it but Mikey Nasser was picked at Fullback for the CHS side ahead of Wests Tiger Ali Karnib. I was also told by my son that Bronson Harrison has been in constant communication with Nasser's family and has got Mikey Nasser registered with Ryde Eastwood Hawks which is a collection of Wests Tigers SG Ball team players for next year which is very promising for us getting him back. He ran for over 300m in both CHS NSW trials at fullback this kid is gun and our junior. I just saw this in the Telegraph today re schoolboys cup.

An early finals exit in 2023 for Hills Sports High School has only strengthened the ambition to go even further in the Peter Mulholland Cup this season, according to coach Scott Jones.
And with most of last year’s squad, which exited at the quarter-final stage to St Dominic’s, still intact, Jones is confident their strong foundation will produce results.

“We have a really strong squad and I think we’re strong every year,” Jones said.

Hills kick off their 2024 campaign against Hunter High School on Wednesday at Eric Tweedale Stadium in Merrylands from 11am.

The Hills squad features plenty of junior reps experience, but Jones said one player has really stood out.

Nassar missed the whole 2023 season with a shattered kneecap but has been impressive on his return to SG Ball with the Roosters.

With Nassar now in year 12 and on his final try for NRL Schoolboys glory, Jones said he was itching to get on the pitch.

“It’s something he’s been looking forward to do at that level for a really long time.

“So he’s one without a doubt I’m really keen to watch and just get the best out of him.”

Jones admitted fitness and nursing some niggling injuries may be a concern for the opening round, with many of the boys involved in the NSW CHS championships.

“I’m hoping there’s nothing too serious, just a few corks here and there, and that we can put our best team on the field.”
Thanks for the update @ROZELLE.O.G

Great to know Haywood excels in the halves too. Our hooker, halves depth is looking good right down to Harold Matts.

Be great if we can get Mikey back under this new regime. Someone of his x-factor is what we lack in pathways despite the quality at Wests Magpies (aside from Makasini).

I know there is a lot of great backs out there including figures like Heamasi and will craig, but can we acknowledge the consistency Callum McMenemy is showing. Hes playing a year above his age bracket and is showing other teams up with 9 tries in 7 games. Crazy how hes not talked about as a up and coming prodigy at this club, no wonder tigers fan are sooking about the lack of juniors coming through when you have the likes of Callum McMenemy flying under the radar.
1st post on Our Walkley Award level Forum (y), congratulations shannongallant06 :giggle:.

I know there is a lot of great backs out there including figures like Heamasi and will craig, but can we acknowledge the consistency Callum McMenemy is showing. Hes playing a year above his age bracket and is showing other teams up with 9 tries in 7 games. Crazy how hes not talked about as a up and coming prodigy at this club, no wonder tigers fan are sooking about the lack of juniors coming through when you have the likes of Callum McMenemy flying under the radar.

1st post on Our Walkley Award level Forum (y), congratulations shannongallant06 :giggle:.
100% Callum McMenemy is a fast hard running back that knows his way to the try line. In my opinion he is one of the best kids coming through our junior ranks, I hope he is signed he has much more upside than a Josh Feledy. Looking forward to seeing him progress through the grades.

Thanks for the update @ROZELLE.O.G

Great to know Haywood excels in the halves too. Our hooker, halves depth is looking good right down to Harold Matts.

Be great if we can get Mikey back under this new regime. Someone of his x-factor is what we lack in pathways despite the quality at Wests Magpies (aside from Makasini).
I think from memory, Haywood and Herman Tofaeono [ who is a wrecking ball prop. now in the Jersey Flegg side] came at the same time a few years ago from NZ?
Is that correct?

Great news if true but hard to believe he would leave the Roosters to return to our club.

Great news if true but hard to believe he would leave the Roosters to return to our club.
I don't believe he has been getting too many opportunities at the Roosters. Had a couple of SG Ball games at centre I think...but otherwise been stuck behind in the queue. If he sees greater opportunity here and feels wanted again, I think he would make the move.

NSWCCC 18s

NSWCIS 18s

NSWCHS 18s

NSW CIS very strong in the halves with Woods, Rodwell and Conti so Large may be in outside backs.

Aaron Keppie I believe moved to Sharks mid season.

Good on you Bronson. That’s the sort of work that needs to be happening in our juniors.

NSW CIS very strong in the halves with Woods, Rodwell and Conti so Large may be in outside backs.

Aaron Keppie I believe moved to Sharks mid season.
Hope large is healthy enough to feature. Missed the remaining junior reps season with an ankle injury.

For all our talk of being a club building from juniors we don't have a single player picked in the extended NSW u19 squad. Not great ... Though obviously Galvin would have been there if not in first grade.

For all our talk of being a club building from juniors we don't have a single player picked in the extended NSW u19 squad. Not great ... Though obviously Galvin would have been there if not in first grade.

Can’t argue with that list. Who from our mob would you suggest be called in? I’m not certain around the ages of our stars but some might be over 19.
Miller probably unlucky, Galvin and TDS might of got on the bench. Think the backline is really decent and Laulili would be pushing to get in there.

Does anyone know when our junior reps presentation night is for SG Ball U19s down to Andrew Johns U16?

It seems most other clubs have held theirs by now since the season finished 6 or 7 weeks ago.

Can’t argue with that list. Who from our mob would you suggest be called in? I’m not certain around the ages of our stars but some might be over 19.
Miller probably unlucky, Galvin and TDS might of got on the bench. Think the backline is really decent and Laulili would be pushing to get in there.
Our SG Ball Magpies team came back to the pack this year and didn't make the semis of the Ball, it probably hurt their chances. The NSW pack that has been picked for the 19s is next level especially the Newcastle boys McQuwen and Hopgood. I saw Tom-Learoyd Lahrs son playing Q-Cup last week in the firsts and he is only 18, the kid is a freak forward.

Back