Klemmer

hammertime

With the talk of signing Klemmer for next year, looks like the dogs might have gotten in early.

Although, it is a telegraph article…....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/bulldogs/summer-buzz-bulldogs-to-announce-trio-of-bigname-signatures/news-story/43a4a67db673b004562be66eafe4cf9c

THE Bulldogs will begin 2016 buoyed by officially landing a trio of big-name signatures in the Belmore kennel with young guns Josh Jackson, **David Klemmer** and Moses Mbye all poised to ink long-term contracts.
>
NSW Origin forwards Jackson and Klemmer are expected to have extensions with the Bulldogs rubber-stamped at the club’s football Annual General Meeting at Canterbury Leagues club on February 14.
>
The Bulldogs and Blues young guns have attracted numerous offers from rival NRL clubs but the duo have never seriously contemplated leaving Canterbury-Bankstown, where coach Des Hasler enjoys strong support among his playing group.
>
The Bulldogs are also tipped to officially announce Mbye’s signature at the AGM, hopeful his pairing with No. 6 Josh Reynolds can take the club to a new level this season.
>
Melbourne Storm had made a serious approach to Mbye well before Christmas but he is believed to have been persuaded by the lure of continuing his football education under ex-champion playmaker Hasler.
>
The Bulldogs are expected to part company with Tony “T-Rex” Williams at the end of the year, following on from the departure of
>
Frank Pritchard at the end of last season.

Damn … We were so close , wonder why Klemmer wussed out ??
What's not to like here at Wests Tigers ??

Asking price would be high for Klemmer, the signing of these 3 players may result in others leaving (in addition to T-Rex) that Tigers could target.

We were never going to get Klemmer, but I don't think another high priced prop is what we need anyway. If we're going to go after a big money recruit I'd rather we look a little wider (i.e. backrow or centre).

@stevetiger said:
@magpiecol said:
$700K a year. No thanks.

You have to be careful with signing players on these dollars don't you.

Yeah - I dont think it has anything to do with being careful you either pay that much or you dont get them - and someone else will.

There needs to be an element of value for money. There is no way Klem is anywhere near as good as Woods.

Woods is a consistant warrior, a true legend in the making. Klem is at present at best an impact forward.

I would have liked him here at the club for the right contract not 700K

Lets wait and see what happens. This is a bulldogs team with Tolman (2017), Graham(2018) and Kasiano (2018) all signed up so Klemmer is in effect the number 4 prop plus they have Llyod Perrett (2018) on the books for decent coin so if we can't offer him a fortune then the dogs would offer less.

I can't see Klemmer staying at the dogs to be honest even if just on the basis that he will want to be a starting prop and he just isn't at the dogs given how Dessie has them play. I'm not saying he will be at the Tigers just can't see him staying at the Dogs.

As for 700K. What you have to remember is the salary cap is expected to be $10 million from 2018 I believe plus with 3rd parties of up to $2 million for some clubs then the average NRL player will be on $480k a year so all of a sudden $700k is a reasonable price for an Origin player esp given the bottom few in each squad aren't on much money and given Klemmer is a marketable figure and had a great Origin series

@Spartan117 said:
There needs to be an element of value for money. There is no way Klem is anywhere near as good as Woods.

Woods is a consistant warrior, a true legend in the making. Klem is at present at best an impact forward.

I would have liked him here at the club for the right contract not 700K

x2
IMHO, only Woods, Bromwich and Scott can claim $600-700k. I agree also that Klammer is different type of prop, more like 20-30 minutes per game, impact player. Because of that, he cannot be paid the top 'prop' money', like props that can play 60' + per game.

Contracts seem to be for players convenience nowadays. Possibly ensuring he ups the ante by already being on considerable coin when the time comes.

@Telltails said:
@stevetiger said:
@magpiecol said:
$700K a year. No thanks.

Yeah - I dont think it has anything to do with being careful you either pay that much or you dont get them - and someone else will.

I agree but I think that is okay. Getting the right squad means not overpaying for certain players.

If the Bulldogs are prepared to pay Klemmer $700 to secure him then I trust that they knew if they didnt another club would. You either have to meet the market, or you continue to recruit like we did this year. Time will tell who comes off better.

@stevetiger said:
@Telltails said:
@stevetiger said:
@magpiecol said:
$700K a year. No thanks.

I agree but I think that is okay. Getting the right squad means not overpaying for certain players.

I think it's been mentioned about the cap changes and how TPA's factor into a deal like this. I don't think $700k is overpaying TBH. You take a TPA out of that and you're probably talking $400k on a much higher cap in 2017.

We lack a quality player with any real consistent aggression to drive us now after Taupau has left. Sure, the QLD boys or Edwards could fill that mold, but it sounds like they aren't near firsts.

A player like that is so important when the chips are down and the boys are lacking in morale. I still remember Keithy's rampage in the Canberra semi final.

He would be a good signing in my opinion. For me, our backline is fine. We've got points in us. We need someone who the opposition is going to fear and is going to bruise them up a bit.

I thought I saw something on Facebook the other day with a photo and a caption Dogs for Life. Anyway if the NRL gets serious about the salary cap and the TPA'S there will be plenty of quality players on the market for the 2017 season. Anyway a lot can happen in six months,you never know what position might need fixing. Also a contract means nothing these days

Get them to spend all their money on forwards then pinch one of their backs?

Much as I would love to have him - he is not worth that type of money IMHO.

TPA's would cover the extra from about what he is worth (450k in my opinion) but we don't have someone prepared to pay the extra 250-300k. Harry wouldn't want to know about that and there is no one else.

If he wants to stay at the "Dogs" or he wants 700-750k good luck to him.
Would be good in Tiger's colours but we could get 2 pretty good "Mongrels" for that instead of just one.

Good not great. Nowhere near as good as Woods nor as valuable. No thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Back