Latrell : Exposed

Winston, how can someone 'disappear into the annals of history'? You do understand that your statement makes no sense? Not to put too fine a point on it, but you either go down in history, or you can be forgotten by it, particularly when referring to to the 'the annals of history', which in a metaphorical case describes the concise annual record of the most important things that happened during a calendar year in ancient Rome. Maybe you went to Hogwarts, or perhaps you have access to disappearing ink.

Furthermore, I thought you were an historian AND an orator mate. Forget about Latrell, it seems like you're losing your rhetorical touch in your dotage. What happened to "We shall fight them on the beaches?". What happened to "Their finest hour"? Have a cigar and cognac and go to bed. You're finished.

Once rested, perhaps you could describe Anthony Mundine's lack of character in greater detail and how it is is related to the topic of Latrell Mitchell? From my perspective, Mundine was an amazing rugby league player and an even better Boxer. Didn't drink and never sexually assaulted anyone. Never took drugs. The same can't be said of some of his contemporaries. A friendly, funny man in private, and was a dedicated and successful athlete well into his 40s. I don't think you have adequately explained how that kind of record amounts to a lack of character. If you could convince President Roosevelt to join the Allies in WW2, I'm sure you can convince our forum colleagues of how Mundine's record amounts to a lack of character. If you mention that Mundine has said some foolish things I'll remind you that Tony Abbott was Prime Minister and Pauline Hanson remains a senator.

Apologies, maybe the boxing thing is a touchy subject for you Winston? After all, in 1911, as the UK's home secretary, you banned interracial boxing matches in the United Kingdom and its colonies. I wonder, what kind of perspective or underlying views of other cultures motivated you to implement a law like like that?

Latrell Mitchell is out of form, and is under intense public and private scrutiny. More so than his team mates and even his coach. Where is your comparison to Todd Carney? To Darius Boyd? or Mitchell Pearce? Sam Burgess? to the other HUNDREDs of (at times) wayward NRL stars who aren't black yet can be prone to controversy and violence both on and off the pitch.

Why do black players only get to be compared to other black players?? There have been plenty of wayward and controversial footy players who aren't black who have been forgiven, and even exalted for their - ahem, redemption arcs. Even beyond controversy, Eric Grothe Jr largely wasted his immense talent in preference to playing music in Shinobi and chilling out. Latrell Mitchell has won two Premierships and a World Cup already. Take your pills Winston

You use the term "Future Inglis'. But GI had his depression, his benders, and would need extra time off with mob up north and extra cultural awareness around him all throughout his most of his career. Joey Johns did the same thing in his own self medicating fashion. Jeez Winston, your double standards have double standards.

He's just a footy player. And if he continues to suck he won't get picked, just like everyone else and he'll likely leave the club and take the classic traditional route down parramatta road and end up at Wests Tigers. So careful what you wish for Winston.
A rather long winded way to stick up for Mitchell (and Mundine by association).
The paragraph highlighted shows you don't really grasp what's at play here...
Latrell is under intense public scrutiny because he chooses to be.
He seeks it out and thrives on it.
Similar to Mundine.
Comparisons to the other players you mention have no relevance... neither for their actions or the colour of their skin.
It's quite simple why Latrell and Anthony are polarising.
Latrell is outspoken but a grub on the field.
Mundine is outspoken but short of a few (a lot of) kangaroos in the paddock.

Last edited:
I think Gould is right. Latrell looks like he'd rather be on the farm or doing community work, but he's hanging on for the money. He doesn't look like he's enjoying playing.

When he gets the ball at the back, he takes a few lazy steps and casually shuffles the ball off to a weaker player to take it to the line. Compare that with Edwards, Teddy, Gutho, Walsh (or his replacement, Sailor), Ponga, Bula, Taffe and Kennedy, who are all prepared to challenge the line, or at least eat up maximum metres.

Also, when Souths' line is crossed, it's rare to see LM anywhere near the frame. He's usually some distance away, easily jogging over. If Billy Slater was dead, he'd be turning in his grave.

Latest posts

Members online

Back