Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
@diedpretty said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099628) said:
@hsvjones said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099463) said:
Apart from the fact I hate Souths... I don't understand why the big attraction to playing under Bennett is :man-shrugging:
He is like 70 years old and will be retiring soon , has not done anything in the last 6 years with some good teams , Turned England into a laughing stock for International games.... I cannot believe the NRL are approving this as **he has to be getting brown bags from somewhere.**.. NRL is becoming a joke ( My Rant over ) ..

Anyway just another off season of excitement with all our money and nothing :man-gesturing-no:

A truckload of bulging brown paper bags arrived at Redfern having been shipped from Nana Glen.

It will be a federally funded 3rd party deal much like Inglis was getting

@supercoach said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099623) said:
Well now the Trell saga looks like it has finally come to the end, we must find at least one back that can actually motor if we have a remote chance of making the 8. I doubt the Fox thing will get off the ground especially for the 2020 season.

Anyway although not his biggest fan, I would be signing Alex Johnson. He ticks two boxes, he is fast and has played no1.

Regardless of which Sydney club he ends at, it seems very unfair for the storm to force JAC to stay there for another season and the type of issue that the Players Association should be taking up.

@ElleryHanley said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099631) said:
@Glenn5150 said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099629) said:
@formerguest said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099627) said:
@Glenn5150 said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099572) said:
@Moh said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099537) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099525) said:
@Earl said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099522) said:
@wokesmoke said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099517) said:
@willow said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099510) said:
@wokesmoke said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099503) said:
@OldMagpie said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099501) said:
Had we have signed old man Bennett maybe we would of had Arrow & Mitchell.
I get the feeling people don’t like Madge, he comes across as being hard and not a people’s person. Just my opion.!

Won’t see the best of madge until reynolds packer and Mbye are all off the books. Some real hinderance for him there. He has that little faith in reynolds he brought Old man Benji back.

I don't disagree with this comment. Can't forget Madge inherited some overpaid contracts that definitely don't fit in with his plans.

I like the forward pack he’s trying to assemble, still think tigers are one high level prop or back tower away from having a really high level pack.

Outside backs the big issue. Anyone thinking AJ wouldn’t be an upgrade are out of their mind

I agree with this. One quality forward and a couple of outside backs. Hopefully Seyfarth or the kid from Parra develop into a quality forward.

We need AJ but we need more and better than just him.

But if AJ is all we can get then AJ will have to do. He's a good player who had a pretty poor 2019. Only young still.

Imagine if we don't even get AJ....

Id be very happy. We already have Thompson who IMO is equivalent. we are not going to improve by continuing to fill our roster on multiple year contracts that dont improve our roster.

Yet the same could apply with WT upgrading Thompson for another two years and as good as he gives, sadly it is not enough for him to regularly wear the one jersey. For mine, whilst he is nearly always at his ceiling, in important areas it is feet below that of AJ.

That is where it comes down to speculative conjecture. I Dont think AJ is better than Thompson in anything other than maybe outright speed. Thompson has it over him in effort and courage.

A player like Thompson or AJ is valuable to the club in that they can play in a number of positions pretty well but IMO in a successful team there is only room for one, particularly while we are carrying Jennings.

IMO all of this points to CT over AJ, particularly when you consider he will also be considerably cheaper.
**> Cory had one assist last year. One.**

He runs hard and busts his guts, but he has no passing game, is too small under the high ball, and is hit and miss in key moments.

He is not a FB.

There is a reason Madge has pursued DWZ....Moylan....Latrell....Johnson.......

And it was a bloody ripper..

On another note we WON 7 of the 11 games Thompson played Fullback...

@ElleryHanley said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099631) said:
@formerguest said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099627) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099525) said:
I get the feeling people don’t like Madge, he comes across as being hard and not a people’s person. Just my opion.!

Won’t see the best of madge until reynolds packer and Mbye are all off the books. Some real hinderance for him there. He has that little faith in reynolds he brought Old man Benji back.

I don't disagree with this comment. Can't forget Madge inherited some overpaid contracts that definitely don't fit in with his plans.

I like the forward pack he’s trying to assemble, still think tigers are one high level prop or back tower away from having a really high level pack.

Outside backs the big issue. Anyone thinking AJ wouldn’t be an upgrade are out of their mind

I agree with this. One quality forward and a couple of outside backs. Hopefully Seyfarth or the kid from Parra develop into a quality forward.

But if AJ is all we can get then AJ will have to do. He's a good player who had a pretty poor 2019. Only young still.

Id be very happy. We already have Thompson who IMO is equivalent. we are not going to improve by continuing to fill our roster on multiple year contracts that dont improve our roster.

Yet the same could apply with WT upgrading Thompson for another two years and as good as he gives, sadly it is not enough for him to regularly wear the one jersey. For mine, whilst he is nearly always at his ceiling, in important areas it is feet below that of AJ.

That is where it comes down to speculative conjecture. I Dont think AJ is better than Thompson in anything other than maybe outright speed. Thompson has it over him in effort and courage.

A player like Thompson or AJ is valuable to the club in that they can play in a number of positions pretty well but IMO in a successful team there is only room for one, particularly while we are carrying Jennings.

IMO all of this points to CT over AJ, particularly when you consider he will also be considerably cheaper.

Cory had one assist last year. One.

He runs hard and busts his guts, but he has no passing game, is too small under the high ball, and is hit and miss in key moments.

He is not a FB.

Agree with you 100%

There is also a reason Bennett moved Johnston to the wing last year. He is not a fullback either.

So why pay extra money and take up a valuable roster slot for a number of years with no improvement?

If we do end up landing AJ, whilst he is certainly no bust your guts superstar, he is ahead of a few of our first graders. He will create competition for spots amongst our backs, and has the experience of playing finals football recently.
I can't see harm from him being in our squad at the right price. He would probably also come here with a chip on his shoulder and be looking to prove some things.

@Glenn5150 said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099636) said:

He is not a FB.

Agree with you 100%

There is also a reason Bennett moved Johnston to the wing last year. He is not a fullback either.

So why pay extra money and take up a valuable roster slot for a number of years with no improvement?

Not sure Bennett moved AJ, he was injured most of the year

@Harvey said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099639) said:
@Glenn5150 said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099636) said:

He is not a FB.

Agree with you 100%

Not sure Bennett moved AJ, he was injured most of the year

Played last two rounds and 3 finals on wing

I was just pointing out that he perfectly fits the criteria by which you stated the club cannot improve.

We can all argue over the finer points of each player, though the big difference is like that of my generally disinterested in attack young son playing footy, get it in his hands with any semblance of space and the next contact is the whistle to the ref's lips.

@cochise said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099541) said:
@Telltails said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099532) said:
It's not "the club" -, it's the current position of the club and the personel, that is not attractive. If you swapped what is at South's to WTs then we secure Latrell.
Maguire was the coach that got South's their first premiership in 40 years, but before that they had a period of trying to attract quality talent much like we are going through now.If we have the money it will turn around. So please save all the smart a comments about our financial position being insignificant when it is the first vital step in moving forward.

South's relied heavily on Crowe's celebrity status to attract that talent, we don't have that so we need to find a way to make a statement to the rest of the competition! Signing Latrell was one way to make that statement, making a deep run in the finals is another. What do we have to quickly turn that perception and our unattractiveness around?

We don't have the success, resources, history, status, location to use those to turn us around. That leaves us in a position where we have to make a slow and steady rebuild, which it appears the club is attempting, but after the past decade that is not a scenario that a large number of our supporter base have the patience for!

Maybe we should get the blue awesome gale to buy us and help promote the club ??‍♂️

@formerguest said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099643) said:

I was just pointing out that he perfectly fits the criteria by which you stated the club cannot improve.

We can all argue over the finer points of each player, though the big difference is like that of my generally disinterested in attack young son playing footy, get it in his hands with any semblance of space and the next contact is the whistle to the ref's lips.

Im not 100% sure that I am understanding your point formerguest, but my take on it is that IMO the club can afford to take up one roster spot on a player like CT or AJ and CT would be a lot cheaper.

@Glenn5150 said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099647) said:
@formerguest said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099643) said:

Im not 100% sure that I am understanding your point formerguest, but my take on it is that IMO the club can afford to take up one roster spot on a player like CT or AJ and CT would be a lot cheaper.

Pace, pace, some more pace, along with impact and long range try scoring ability. We need to improve those areas of our squad more than any other.

CT as some other have said is full of effort but he is no where near AJ at fullback or wing.

@formerguest said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099619) said:
@Chaos said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099550) said:
He was a fill in

And that is in your own words and I don't recall anyone here saying that he doesn't fill that role well, nor give his all to it. Surely all supporters don't want a fill in playing at the back, unless of course he is doing just that, filling in.

Mbye was meant to be the fullback, Thomo filled in and then replaced Mbye at the role For the remainder of the season, how is someone saying he is an awful fullback NOT saying he didn’t fill the fullback role well?
Saying he is an awful fullback implies that he filled the role terribly.
IMO, he played well, added some X-Factor and showed his pure class as a footballer.
Yes I said he was a fill in, that is because he was, by all means, I’m not saying he should be our long term fullback, just saying that he filled the position when asked in a pretty decent fashion, now ppl want to compare him to other specialist fullbacks, and label him the worst fullback in the NRL, it’s Disrespectful, immature and just ridiculous.

Thing is with CT you know what you get everytime he runs on for us....
with LM you never can be sure of 100% everytime...

@TrueTiger said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099660) said:
Thing is with CT you know what you get everytime he runs on for us....
with LM you never can be sure of 100% everytime...

This is true, but LM’s bad days are better than CT’s best days.

How about moving this fullback conversation to the fullback thread. No offence to anyone, it's a good discussion but who wants 500 pages on a rejected cock with bunny ears

@Chaos said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099656) said:
@formerguest said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099619) said:
He was a fill in

And that is in your own words and I don't recall anyone here saying that he doesn't fill that role well, nor give his all to it. Surely all supporters don't want a fill in playing at the back, unless of course he is doing just that, filling in.

Mbye was meant to be the fullback, Thomo filled in and then replaced Mbye at the role For the remainder of the season, how is someone saying he is an awful fullback NOT saying he didn’t fill the fullback role well?
IMO, he played well, added some X-Factor and showed his pure class as a footballer.
Yes I said he was a fill in, that is because he was, by all means, I’m not saying he should be our long term fullback, just saying that he filled the position when asked in a pretty decent fashion, now ppl want to compare him to other specialist fullbacks, and label him the worst fullback in the NRL, it’s Disrespectful, immature and just ridiculous.

@Chaos said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099656) said:
He was a fill in

Yes he is a fill in! Going into a season with 50% of your spine players being fill ins shows poor planning and is a recipe for a wooden spoon!

Someone just let go on Pascoe on Twitter

MadMudgeeTiger

@MadMudgeeTiger
·
4h

@JustinPascoeWT
.. I hope this makes you realise how undesirable
@WestsTigers
is as a destination for top NRL talent. Enough with the lip service. Fans deserve better.! Fix it or we need someone who can.!

Justin Pascoe

@JustinPascoeWT

Replying to
@MadMudgeeTiger
and
@WestsTigers
As I have stated before , we pulled the offer off the table some time ago. Fans deserve to have players playing for the club that they love and want to Play for and will do anything for and we have 27 signed in the top 30 of them at the club at the moment with 3 more to go

@Don_Kershane said in [Latrell Mitchell Contract Discussion](/post/1099565) said:
Crowe probably met LM half way in negotiating deal. Kempsey I would imagine.

I am sure that Crowe wouldn't have driven to Kempsey and back like the WT's guys were reported to have done.

This conversation should now move to the AJ thread.

I think AJ would add pace to the backline something we have all spotted we lack. Maybe he is only a slight improvement skill wise over Thompson but he can sure leg it better. So that's a tick from me and also we should recognise Souths will have to put in some $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Back