Loving the Bunker....but

Brett Thurbon

47 Looks at Louis Browns try, no evidence to say it was or wasnt a try, refs call stands…fair enough
47 looks at our try (Cherrington i think). no evidence to say it was or wasnt a try, refs call over turned...Total BS

Yeah, failed on those ones.
Not impressed.

Happy with the win though,
we looked brilliant.

@Magpie69 said:
47 Looks at Louis Browns try, no evidence to say it was or wasnt a try, refs call stands…fair enough
47 looks at our try (Cherrington i think). no evidence to say it was or wasnt a try, refs call over turned...Total BS

They said the Manly player got there first to ground the ball, so that was why it was not awarded.

@sheer64 said:
@Magpie69 said:

They said the Manly player got there first to ground the ball, so that was why it was not awarded.

That one was okay. The one where they Manly scored and there was no friggin idea they had scored was a sham,…. Perenara is pretty dodgy ref when it comes to the Tigers IMO-always seems to go the other way, that should if been sent up as a "no-idea". Gotta get rid of that initial ref's call decision, its a balls up.

I thought some penalties were harsh but I felt he was consistent. The touchie told him it was a try to Brown so it's not really his fault as he was unsighted. I couldn't see evidence but will back the bloke who was right there. The call was right on cherrington. Lyon beat him to the ball….just.

Ìts the same as it always was, the ref sends it upstairs and makes a call with zero friggen idea what actually happened, sometimes the bunker will have a clear view and there's no problem, other times it will still be ambiguous and controversial

@Fade To Black said:
Gotta get rid of that initial ref's call decision, its a balls up.

The ref having to make a call before sending it upstairs is one of the things I love about our game. It so simple that anyone can follow it. It adds drama and tension and takes responsibility away from the video ref.

@Fade To Black said:
@sheer64 said:
@Magpie69 said:

That one was okay. The one where they Manly scored and there was no friggin idea they had scored was a sham,…. Perenara is pretty dodgy ref when it comes to the Tigers IMO-always seems to go the other way, that should if been sent up as a "no-idea". Gotta get rid of that initial ref's call decision, its a balls up.

I get what you guys are saying but at some point someone has to make a call. If they send it up and say "im not sure, have a look" what happens when the video cant prove one way or the other? Paper scissors rock?

At some point someone has to make a call based on their best judgement.

I thought Brown's try was a try , you could see from the behind view I thought

You just couldn't get that view of Cherrington's try that you probably needed

Refs were pretty ordinary , was like they checked the count at HT and were worried whether they would get out of Leichhardt alive if it continued

@Fordy20 said:
@Fade To Black said:
Gotta get rid of that initial ref's call decision, its a balls up.

The ref having to make a call before sending it upstairs is one of the things I love about our game. It so simple that anyone can follow it. It adds drama and tension and takes responsibility away from the video ref.

But if the responsibility is taken away from the video ref then why send it to him in the first place? The ref had no idea, the touchy couldn't of seen what had happened because even 20 looks from 4 different camera angles didn't show whether the ball was down or not. I'm not a huge fan of video refs deciding try or no-try off their own bat but they are the ones with all the technology so give them the whip hand IMO. A shonky -as decision like that one will cost some poor bastards a premiership in the very near future, hope its not us.

@happy tiger said:
I thought Brown's try was a try , you could see from the behind view I thought

Really? I don't think any of the replays showed the ball touching the ground at all TBH, the touchie who made the call only comes into view late on the video refs' replays, he was in no position to see what the hell went on there. It is a massive grey area that the ultimate call of try or no-try falls back on an initial inkling of the ref who has no idea whether it was grounded or not- hence him calling for a video ref ruling in the first instance. Send it up as "I don't know" , let whatever video evidence is available decide the decision- it would HAVE to be more accurate doing it that way, surely?

The bunker is the video ref but slightly quicker (it wasn't that quick last night). I cannot understand why everyone's queuing up to ballwash it.

They couldn't over turn the Manly knock on off the kickoff that led to a try?

The bunkers Crap , it's like Mexican food , same garbage wrapped differently !

I wasn't too fussed with the try rulings, I thought there was enough evidence for Lyon out-touching Cherrington and the touchie definitely called Brown's try green before they went upstairs.

What I could not abide was the inconsistent way in which Perenara made his calls. His ruck penalties appeared at random, barely one of them with any consistent theme or glaring misdemeanor. He has no control over the match and his involvement punctuates the play.

He went to the video ref twice for Manly no-tries that were not within a bull's roar of a touchdown. He gifted Manly first-half field position only to pass on clear penalties like Woods slapping down Koroisau's arm from an offside position.

He managed to level the penalty count late (it was 8-3 at one point?) with flurry of dubious offences against Manly when we were finishing the match off.

How he and the entire on-field team missed the Tom Trbojevic knock on absolutely defies belief. Even the seagulls perched on the grandstand, one eye closed and half asleep, knew it was a classic knock-on, that footballs are not magically propelled forward from the arms by occult powers.

Perenara referees football the way someone like Ben Roberts used to play football - off-cuff, inconsistent, unsighted, bewildered, with frailty and timidity. It's almost like he has no natural feel for the game, unable to catch standard fare like knock-ons and head-high tackles. Every time he refs, not just against us, I get this continuous and fervent impression that he doesn't actually know what he is doing, almost as if he is some imposter who has managed to swindle his way into a ref's jumper, sweating on his cover being blown.

He is a very poor referee and I imagine if he wasn't an ex-player, he'd be riding the touchline rather than being given match control duties.

Last night was a classic example of how an imperfect game can't be made perfect by technology. I'd be more happy with referees making decisions on the field.

If anyone on the field had the best view it would have been the touchie….in a way its good them actually making a call. I didn't see cherringtons try so I will go off the MMM call from sterlo that said Lyon got to the ball first.

Back