My BENJI 2024 Expectations!

Broncos hadn't been run like shit for 10 years previously & like I said in my post they had a stack more talent already than we currently do.
That stack more talent is why we should not be compared to the Broncos. They had 3 middles on the verge of representing Australia and an all star back line. We've got 1 over rated forward who might make the NSW side and the worst back line in the comp.

I liken this team to the Broncos of a couple of years ago. Had a stack of talent in the side but ended up finishing last. It wasn't until they added guys like Reynolds, Capewell & Walsh where they really started to see results & actually turned in to a winning side. Not saying we have that level of talent but ultimately these sorts of things don't happen overnight & we are 5 months into a rebuild that needs at least 3 years before we can see results. One thing is clear that the players are buying into what Benji's doing which is the most important thing.
I really wish we took Reynolds on board. His 2 years at the broncos so far have been invaluable

Not gonna lie though, Brisbane had some freakish players to work with … not sure we match them in talent like you said, but Bula / Fainu / Galvin have shown they have a promising future in the NRL as long as they get proper guidance

That stack more talent is why we should not be compared to the Broncos. They had 3 middles on the verge of representing Australia and an all star back line. We've got 1 over rated forward who might make the NSW side and the worst back line in the comp.
Not comparing the talent but merely we are in a similar rebuild albeit it'll take longer for us than it did for them.

Haas, Carrigan, Riki and Flegler
Had rep written all over them

Fainu, Stef (has been given a taste) and Pole maybe have the ability sometime down the track, but definitely aren’t banging down the door right now

My only issue atm is we aren't scoring points. I'm glad we're basing everything on defence, which has improved as well as the teams ability to fight for the full 80 minutes. But I just wish we could get Farah to go somewhere else in the club and bring in a new attacking coach. The attack the last 2 years has been Jason Taylorish. It's been shocking. Just side to side ball movement with no support players pushing up with the ball carrier.
I reckon Potter would get our attack firing. Him as our attack coach and Morris as our defensive coach and we would really start scaring a few teams.

I liken this team to the Broncos of a couple of years ago. Had a stack of talent in the side but ended up finishing last. It wasn't until they added guys like Reynolds, Capewell & Walsh where they really started to see results & actually turned in to a winning side. Not saying we have that level of talent but ultimately these sorts of things don't happen overnight & we are 5 months into a rebuild that needs at least 3 years before we can see results. One thing is clear that the players are buying into what Benji's doing which is the most important thing.
We arent 5 months into a rebuild. We started the rebuild at the end of 2022.

We arent 5 months into a rebuild. We started the rebuild at the end of 2022.
A rebuild that was started & changed by the old admin multiple times... we finally have a settled front office & coaching staff with a clear direction of where we want to go as a club but it's going to take time to see results.

A rebuild that was started & changed by the old admin multiple times... we finally have a settled front office & coaching staff with a clear direction of where we want to go as a club but it's going to take time to see results.
The rebuild of onfield talent is 18 months old.
We cant blame administration forever. Past regimes brought Klemmer, Api, Papali'i, Bateman, Staines, Naden and the Fainus to the club. They also unearthed Pole, Bula, TDS and others. That was the beginning of this current rebuild. Year 2 of the rebuild brought Olam, Sezer, Sullivan and unearthed Galvin. It has also secured the services of Luai and Turuva.
Year 1 of the rebuild delivered the spoon.
Year 2 of the rebuild is heading towards another.
How long should we be patient again?

I'd love to know when they will start to work on the attack.
Continuing on this track were on this season for the whole year seems pointless.
Even if the seasons gone we would use the back end of this year in real game situations to work to improve the attaxk
Bloody hell all the other teams are doing this week in week out since last Xmas.
Is mind numbingly boring some of the 'attack' we play... It's been described on here ad nauseam by many.. we pass the ball.just for the sake of it. We ask no questions of the opposition... Support play is abysmal etc etc etc
12- 16.points is our limit
Two possibly three tries per game
Just the way we make it so easy for the opposition... It's extremely embarrassing and I can only imagine what's going thru our players minds if they think.back to teams the used to play in.

Some things serious wrong it just continues year in year out.
This is when I get a bit conspiratorial when I can't find logical. Answers to questions that have plagues us for years despite massive staff turnovers.
My support for this team - if you could call it that is near exhausted. They'll always be my team while they exist but caring any more if that occurs or not doesn't really register

I find myself preferring
to watch teams like Easts Melbourne Penrith even the Dolphins who play an attractive brand of footy-fast exciting and end to end stuff
Mate the vast majority of NRL tries are scored through sheer individual brilliance, brute force or a poor defensive read. Watch how many tries this weekend are through a coaches tactics/attacking structure. It won’t be many. Our best hope is probably getting early ball to Olam or Bula.

Is it working? At the same point last year we were only 8 points better off. Given this year we arguably have started from a better base is 1 point a game defensive improvement enough to suggest the defence is improving?
I was probably more comparing to our overall average points against over the last few years, where conceding 30 was standard.

The rebuild of onfield talent is 18 months old.
We cant blame administration forever. Past regimes brought Klemmer, Api, Papali'i, Bateman, Staines, Naden and the Fainus to the club. They also unearthed Pole, Bula, TDS and others. That was the beginning of this current rebuild. Year 2 of the rebuild brought Olam, Sezer, Sullivan and unearthed Galvin. It has also secured the services of Luai and Turuva.
Year 1 of the rebuild delivered the spoon.
Year 2 of the rebuild is heading towards another.
How long should we be patient again?
Look at how our top 30 roster has been built over the next 2 seasons... how is that not the previous administrations fault?

I was probably more comparing to our overall average points against over the last few years, where conceding 30 was standard.
Theres still plenty of time for us to have some blowouts and reach that standard.

Look at how our top 30 roster has been built over the next 2 seasons... how is that not the previous administrations fault?
Exactly. Giving top 30 spots to undeserving players who are simply not ready was wrong. Benji is stuck with that. Richo has conceded that. Give him 3 years at least to fix it.

Theres still plenty of time for us to have some blowouts and reach that standard.
And I expect that when the injuries set in and some of our depth has to step up. I’m not judging this regime till next year personally.

Its a rebuild. Its a work in progress. It started 18 months ago.
Also, if we get the spoon this year, it will be Benji's second. How long should he be given again?

Exactly. Giving top 30 spots to undeserving players who are simply not ready was wrong. Benji is stuck with that. Richo has conceded that. Give him 3 years at least to fix it.
No. He hasnt earned that.

And I expect that when the injuries set in and some of our depth has to step up. I’m not judging this regime till next year personally.
Its a squad with poor depth. No doubt.
It is also a squad with enough experience to win a few games. 2 and 6 is a shit start.

Its a rebuild. Its a work in progress. It started 18 months ago.
Also, if we get the spoon this year, it will be Benji's second. How long should he be given again?
Chopping & changing coaches is how we ended up here in the first place.

No. He hasnt earned that.
Obviously there’s metrics you can use to judge him along the way. I like his communication with media, I like his honesty, I like most of his selections.

Key to his success will be recruitment and adding some more game changers, while retaining the best of the youth.

I’m still pretty positive despite being 2-6.

Last edited:
Back