Nostalgia

Tony Knowles, Alex Higgins , Kirk Stevens & Jimmy White... each a champion of snooker back in the 80s:

1711012286677.jpeg

LEO WANKER
🤣

View attachment 10963
Hoges is on the $100 note. Sweet.
I knew he’d make it one day.

And wait for it, it must be a time of happy ever afters, because.....

On this day in 1976 Alice Cooper and Sheryl Goddard were married. Sheryl had been a dancer on Alice’s Welcome To My Nightmare tour and she was 19 at the time of their wedding. 48 years later, they are still married!
1711056600144.jpeg

From what I can remember of the ones that used to be in the department stores, they had a pretty good knowledge of what departments and items were located on each floor, not sure about the operating skills or qualifications required to operate the actual lift.

I guess that is not unlike the greeters at Bunnings being required to have a good knowledge of what aisle various products are in these days.

Did elevator operators need a certificate of qualification to drive those?

Yes, much akin to what champion @hanks37w said, no formal qualification but certainly training was required.
These elevators didn't have modern day buttons. They didn't have safety locks that made sure you stopped exactly at the floor level. They didn't have safety interlocks that prevented the doors from opening between floors. Nothing was automated.
Even earlier elevator prototypes had gates which were to be closed before the elevator moved, and needed an elevator operator because controls were all manual.

Back