Onitoni Large

I swear the players that actually develop into first graders are the ones you don’t hear much about when they are 16 bula came out of know where Galvin was talked about but not as an exceptional 5/8
Fonua pole came out of know where Justin matamua was talked up for years
But hasn’t shown a great deal yet

Nrl is a different beast just getting through a pre season can be insanely difficult some people just arnt cut out for it

You can’t tell if some 1 is going to make till after a few nrl pre seasons
Jordan Rankin debuted at 16 I’m pretty sure……How’s that turn out??????

I might add that the rumour isn't that he's left the club, merely that the Large family are unhappy with something at the club and that his future might lay elsewhere. If what they are unhappy about can be rectified then there's no drama.
He's not due to play another league match for another 9 months or so in any case so there's still plenty of time for things to unfold.

Last edited:
I might add that the rumour isn't that he's left the club, merely that the Large family are unhappy with something at the club and that his future might lay elsewhere. If what they are unhappy can be rectified then there's no drama.
He's not due to play another league match for another 9 months or so in any case so there's still plenty of time for things to unfold.
What position is he?

If he’s a half I can understand him being peeved but he’s only 16.

And what about Big Mak? What’s his go?

What position is he?

Onitoni Large has played 5/8 for Wests Harold Matthews over the last 2 seasons, but had a season ending injury earlier this season.
He’s made a big impression and dominating playing as a centre in GPS rugby union last season.
Highlights reel show him scoring plenty of tries and plenty of line breaks with his electric speed and powerful balanced ball running.
As Balmain Boy has alluded to, he barely ran the ball in his couple of games for Wests Harold Matthews earlier this season, therefore it’s highly likely he’d be wasted as a playmaker and would be more suited to in my opinion fullback, if not centre.
The reason why most believe he can transition from a schoolboy rugby star into an NRL star is purely based on him being a freak athlete with a good strong physical presence and game intelligence to go with it.
Makasini is a big, strong, powerful left sided centre or winger who is very hard to
handle one on one and scores plenty of tries because if it,

We have Richardson, Marshall, Morris and co at the club, It is in very good hands and if there is an issue, it will be sorted. We all know managers and other clubs are trying to get top dollar and the best young players to their respective clubs. Interestingly, this has emerged after Galvin said he wanted to stay a WT. There is no reason at all that Large cannot be a WT for life and I'm sure he would be renumerated well by WTls.

Onitoni Large has played 5/8 for Wests Harold Matthews over the last 2 seasons, but had a season ending injury earlier this season.
He’s made a big impression and dominating playing as a centre in GPS rugby union last season.
Highlights reel show him scoring plenty of tries and plenty of line breaks with his electric speed and powerful balanced ball running.
As Balmain Boy has alluded to, he barely ran the ball in his couple of games for Wests Harold Matthews earlier this season, therefore it’s highly likely he’d be wasted as a playmaker and would be more suited to in my opinion fullback, if not centre.
The reason why most believe he can transition from a schoolboy rugby star into an NRL star is purely based on him being a freak athlete with a good strong physical presence and game intelligence to go with it.
Makasini is a big, strong, powerful left sided centre or winger who is very hard to
handle one on one and scores plenty of tries because if it,
Put me down for a Large Mak at the Luao (as Richo calls him),

What position is he?

Supposedly his family is of the opinion that his ONLY position in league is 5/8. Yet in union he doesn't even play as a playmaker at all, he's a centre, purely a runner out wide and they're happy with that.

So they may see Galvin as a threat, but players move positions all the time. Fittler and Daley played 5/8, centre, lock. There are no guarantees that anyone stays in a particular position their whole careers.

It's not as if fullback isn't a celebrous position either, many of the biggest names in the game play at the back.

Last edited:
Supposedly his family is of the opinion that his ONLY position in league is 5/8. Yet in union he doesn't even play as a playmaker at all, he's purely a runner out wide and they're happy with that.

So they may see Galvin as a threat, but players move positions all the time. Fittler and Daley played 5/8, centre, lock. There are no guarantees that anyone stays in a particular position their whole careers.

It's not as if fullback isn't a celebrous position either, many of the biggest names in the game play at the back.
And get the big coin to go with it.

And get the big coin to go with it.
There is nobody currently blocking his path if he was to play 5/8at a young age for the Roosters.
Obviously once we have Luai, Galvin and Fainu there will be no room for him to play in the halves at Wests Tigers, hence why we should be floating the idea of what a good fullback he could potentially become.

Supposedly his family is of the opinion that his ONLY position in league is 5/8. Yet in union he doesn't even play as a playmaker at all, he's purely a runner out wide and they're happy with that.

Does he have the legs for fullback , and the work ethic ? Most modern day fullbacks could go alright playing AFL midfield ,Such is the distances they cover . Look at lattrell . Teams are just swinging the ball left to right and back again early , and just making him run , knowing there will chances galore later in the half/game .
Teddy, Edward’s , Walsh, Bula , they’re all going close to winning the beep test if not outright winning it for each of thier clubs .
Is onitoni that player ? I always had him pegged with Maksini as our centres of the future , especially once Fainu signed . No one expected Galvin to hit the ground running like he has .

There is nobody currently blocking his path if he was to play 5/8at a young age for the Roosters.
Obviously once we have Luai, Galvin and Fainu there will be no room for him to play in the halves at Wests Tigers, hence why we should be floating the idea of what a good fullback he could potentially become.

He is 16 years old … how bout he knuckles down a couple of years and learn how to play the fricken game … at any position …

I don't think he's played there but he plays as centre in union and 5/8 in league. He barely runs the ball though at 5/8 so i'm not sure that's his best position. He tries to play halfback which is actually quite annoying. But if he were to play fullback he'd need to work on his voice, work under the high ball, organising defence etc but it would free him to have a crack at broken play on kick returns.
Agree with your 5/8 assessment. Watched him last year, City - Country game. He played 5/8 and didn't impress me with all the hype about him. Didn't see the speed you mentioned. Maybe slower out of the blocks or defence can nail him before he hits the after burners?
Did set up Makasini try that day.
Maybe at full back or centre that speed could be better used.

Penrith have lost a few young halves from memory - Isaiya Katoa was a Penrith junior wasnt he?

Penrith have lost a few young halves from memory - Isaiya Katoa was a Penrith junior wasnt he?
Yes, and they've lost plenty from their top team too. My point is that those players are NRL ready when they go for an opportunity. They don't leave at 16 because Nathan Cleary is there. Look at Sua Faalogo at the Storm. Happy to resign and play backup when he could walk into a number of teams.

I worry we are becoming a club where if
we aren't putting Harold Matt's players on NRL deals they leave. Have we created that expectation?

Latest posts

Members online

Back