OFFICIAL Pathways - KOE General Discussion

Absolutely.

Mason would be the smallest player in the NRL if he were to play anytime soon. Size isn't everything, and the kid has fight in him, but we'd need to be careful throwing him in against men in the nrl. Don't want him getting concussed or injured, and there's no need to rush him either.

Given Mason and Laulilii are the same age and Luke is bigger, stronger and more versatile i can definitely seem him getting the nod ahead of Mason. He can play anywhere from 1-5 which is what we need.

Both still have a lot of development in them and hopefully we're not in the position where we need to throw either to the wolves before they're standing out and enduring the rigours of nsw cup on a weekly basis.
well said. the pair of them should be playing in Cup every week getting used to playing men and coming up against seasoned vets. Luke is behind a few players in regards to playing on the wing for first grade, but I do think if he continues in this manner that he will likely debut by the end of this year. he's my bolter for the left wing spot in 2025 irrespective of who we sign.

Mason could probably do a job if there was an injury to Bula, but I'd be very surprised if he was. he's got a little more work to do for mine, mainly under the high ball and defensively.

excited to see how each of them progress. this year's all about learning for all the youngsters in Cup. it's going to be a lean first couple months but by the end of the season I think a few of them will start banging on the door, Luke and Heath included.

He looks like a Brian To'o clone to me, do you think that's a fair assessment?
yeah I think that's fair. Luke's got a bit more growing to do but I think he probably won't be as powerful as Bizza, but he's quicker and possesses a ballplaying skillset Bizza could only dream of.

the biggest thing for Luke on the wing or in the centres is his defence. he's got a lot of work to do before we can class him as a competent defender in SG Ball, let alone first grade.

given the way he has improved his ballplaying in the last 12 months there's little doubt in my mind that if he works at it he'll mend his deficiencies.

you think so? I’m the opposite to be honest.

Luke is powerful and quick, which makes him more versatile in the backline. his ballplaying is at a point now where I believe that it is better than Mason’s from what I have seen in the last 12 months.

he’s a year younger which obviously means he’s a little behind on development, but if I had to pick who’s more likely to play more games of NRL between now and the end of next year my money is on Laulili’i every single day of the week.
You are watching something different to me if you believe Laulilli is anywhere near Mason in terms of ball playing.
Mason is much bigger and stronger than many think, I’ve heard he’s pound for pound the strongest in our entire NRL squad.

And Galvin is the lightest... missing the point here....
Come on AHX you are smarter than that.
Galvin created a big fuss amongst the coaching staff and playing group, much to do with his elite fitness along with his confidence, great attitude and obvious ability.
From what I’ve heard Mason gets similar wraps for his hard work, dedication, well above average strength, well above average speed, ball playing ability from his junior days playing in the halves along with his confidence and obvious ability.
So take that how you like, but I stated Galvin would play NRL this season long before most were convinced he would and I’m led to believe Mason is also held in very high regard.
He’s bigger in way of muscle bulk than many seem to realise and has all the required skill sets to be a long term NRL player, only it might be as a utility for the first part of his career due to blockages in his preferred positions.
Not saying young Luke Laulilli is not a very promising player in his own right, I just don’t believe he’s at the same level as Mason at this stage.

Last edited:
You are watching something different to me if you believe Laulilli is anywhere near Mason in terms of ball playing.
Mason is much bigger and stronger than many think, I’ve heard he’s pound for pound the strongest in our entire NRL squad.
I’m yet to see anything from Mason this season that shows me that he’s a better ballplayer than Laulili’i. Luke set one try up and would’ve had another if not for it being called back.

we’ve all seen the photos of Mason in the gym and he’s absolutely a monster for his size, but if you have a look at the way both he and Laulili’i cart the ball up its not a contest. Luke takes multiple defenders to bring him down very often.

to be honest with you I’m not phased either way. I hope both of them become key parts of the side and earn their place after a strong year or two in Cup. we’ll see what this season brings for both of them.

🏉
NSW Cup. + Jersey Flegg Western Suburbs Magpies vs St George Illawarra Dragons
The Roy Masters Cup

1712977298432.jpeg

1712977318349.jpeg
1712977335646.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: BZN
Magpies down 14 - 6 a few minutes before half time. Trying very hard against a team that is clearly better than us.

Feledy looks closest to first grade based on today.

Reactions: BZN
Some of the defensive efforts by Matai & Kirk very poor.
Yep, no doubt. Getting rolled through the middle though - can't stop Fegai brothers or Tuipolotu at the moment.

On a positive note - first time I've seen Jordan Miller play. Raw but certainly a lot to work with. Won't be ready this year but the club should be eyeing next year IMO to move him into first-grade contention. Easily our most potent forward with ball in hand.

Yep, no doubt. Getting rolled through the middle though - can't stop Fegai brothers or Tuipolotu at the moment.

On a positive note - first time I've seen Jordan Miller play. Raw but certainly a lot to work with. Won't be ready this year but the club should be eyeing next year IMO to move him into first-grade contention. Easily our most potent forward with ball in hand.
Agree, need to keep getting the reps into him. Luke L a bit hesitant so far but he’ll improve. I like the look of Hodges too playing as a lock today but better as hooker.

Lacking a lot of quality within this team and no direction at all.
Looked better when Valevatu went into the halves the last 10 mins. A couple of good moments for the future - Miller charge & offload to Luke Laulilii making good metres up the middle and nice pass from Luke L putting Feledy into a hole who had to do some strong work to score.

Punished up the middle & as you said a lack of quality. No one ready for first grade yet.

Good to see Jimmy Ngutlik on the sideline, hopefully is close to a return.

Looked better when Valevatu went into the halves the last 10 mins. A couple of good moments for the future - Miller charge & offload to Luke Laulilii making good metres up the middle and nice pass from Luke L putting Feledy into a hole who had to do some strong work to score.

Punished up the middle & as you said a lack of quality. No one ready for first grade yet.

Good to see Jimmy Ngutlik on the sideline, hopefully is close to a return.
My pet hate is so many players only ever running the ball at less than half pace, next to no genuine off the ball movement and just movement in general including defence at a snails pace.
Someone tell these blokes they are just one small step away from NRL, play with some hunger, intent and energy and it should get Benji’s attention.
Similar ti the past couple of seasons, most of the players look unmotivated and it doesn’t appear the coach has the ability to fix it.

Last edited:
My pet hate is so many players only ever running the ball at less than half pace, next to no genuine off the ball movement and just movement in general including defence at a snails pace.
Someone tell these blokes they are just one small step away from NRL, play with some hunger, intent and energy and it should get Benji’s attention.
Similar ti the past couple of seasons, most of the players look unmotivated and it doesn’t appear the coach has the ability to fix it.

I never understood why this happens as well outside the fact they just aren’t good enough.

If you want to play NRL turn up everygame and push yourself, play hard and fast.

The Knock On Effect NSW Cup - Round 7 vs. Panthers

Saturday, April 20 - 1:00 p.m. AEST
BlueBet Stadium, Penrith

WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES

1. Luke Laulilii
2. Solomon Alaimalo
3. Declan Casey
4. Solomona Faataape
5. Alex Lobb
6. Jayden Sullivan
7. James Valevatu (c)
8. Sione Fainu
9. Jake Simpkin
10. Nick Lui-Toso
11. Reuben Porter
12. Asu Kepaoa
13. Raymond Maroun

14. Tallyn Da Silva
15. Josh Feledy
16. Jordan Miller
17. Brandon Tumeth

18. Sione Vaihu
Coach: Aaron Payne

INS: Solomona Faataape, Alex Lobb, Jayden Sullivan, Sione Fainu, Jake Simpkin, Asu Kepaoa, Tallyn Da Silva

OUTS: Iverson Matai (Jersey Flegg), Bailey Hodges (Jersey Flegg), Jay Kirk, Tyler Colley, Josh Finau, Sione Vaihu, Kit Laulilii

Latest posts

Members online

Back