TEAM LIST Pre-season Challenge Round 2 vs. Raiders

Team List
i don’t even like the guy but not sure what you’re on about he’s 10x better than Wakeham lol
Lets give Wakehan 10 or 11 years to prove himself. Last weekend he didnt have a good forward pack to help him play better. Seen Brooks have plenty of worse games than Wakemans game the other night.

When have you ever seen Simpkins play dummy half
Sorry my bad, missed the extra s - was referring to his brother from another mother - Simpkin!

Props shouldn't be allowed anywhere dummy half anyways - so his passing technique outa there is probably of a similar standard! ;)

Why are you thinking they'll play the 2nd half?
I simply don't think that what is on the team sheet number on the back wise is the first string side (injuries to Joffa, Api and Brooks taken into account).

Sheens in not one to be held back by conventional thinking; I expect that he is still experimenting and will want to see what pans out in the first session and then pull the stings together to see how it all works.

Nothing more than a gut feel on my part. I expected to see Stefano off the bench behind Twal/Pole for impact and Blore in front of Seyfarth at second row full stop. I also don't think (personally) that TT is a strike centre at this point in his comeback and is out there to get some game time under his belt.

Maybe I am wrong and Twal has absolutely trained the house down at lock, Seyfarth is ahead of Blore in the second row stakes and TT is considered to be the best centre after Naden.

What I want to see is Naden and AD in the centres with Daino at 6, Staines at Fullback, Blore and Twal in the second row (until Bateman arrives) and Papalii at lock. I trust we will get a look at that, or something similar, in the second half as I think that this is probably our best side on paper (although Daino is unproven as a FG 5/8).

The other thing I think we all need to keep in mind is that the number on the back of our forwards under Sheens probably only gives us an idea of where they will line up in defence. I'm expecting to see a much more fluid attack without the limitations of players being stuck in pigeon holes. Sheens, and Benji to a lesser extent, will want to flood a gap with runners as they occur as opposed to playing with too much structure.

Like everyone else here - I'm just a mug on the sideline with an opinion.

Last edited:
Who cares if he plays Origin or not, just want him to run for over 120m per game and makes over 35 tackles each week for us, which he generally does.
Have a look at all the team lists for the upcoming weekend, the majority of teams lack quality depth in the front row. It looks to be one position where we have better overall quality of depth than most others.
Our front row depth appears to be Simpkins and James. Doesn't look any better than anyone else?

Not good

It looks bare without Brooks I must admit.

However Laurie at 1 and Doueihi at 6 behind a stronger pack should see something created. Wakeham just needs to take good options.

Talau in the centres is concerning. They are seeing something we all aren't. AJ is faster, better footwork, more mobile and better hands.
Better hands?! Agree, I'd currently pick AJ over TT, but better hands is pushing the friendship

I simply don't think that what is on the team sheet number on the back wise is the first string side (injuries to Joffa, Api and Brooks taken into account).

Sheens in not one to be held back by conventional thinking; I expect that he is still experimenting and will want to see what pans out in the first session and then pull the stings together to see how it all works.

Nothing more than a gut feel on my part. I expected to see Stefano off the bench behind Twal/Pole for impact and Blore in front of Seyfarth at second row full stop. I also don't think (personally) that TT is not a strike centre at this point in his comeback and is out there to get some game time under his belt.

Maybe I am wrong and Twal has absolutely trained the house down at lock, Seyfarth is ahead of Blore in the second row stakes and TT is considered to be the best centre after Naden.

What I want to see is Naden and AD in the centres with Daino at 6, Staines at Fullback, Blore and Twal in the second row (until Bateman arrives) and Papalii at lock. I trust we will get a look at that, or something similar, in the second half as I think that this is probable or best side on paper (although Daino is unproven as a FG 5/8).

The other thing I think we all need to keep in mind is that the number on the back of our forwards under Sheens probably only gives us an idea of where they will line up in defence. I'm expecting to see a much more fluid attack without the limitations of players being stuck in pigeon holes. Sheens, and Benji to a lesser extent, will want to flood a gap with runners as they occur as to play with structure.

Like everyone else here - I'm just a mug on the sideline with an opinion.
I’ve got no idea how this will pan out. 😂
Similar to last game maybe?

Better hands?! Agree, I'd currently pick AJ over TT, but better hands is pushing the friendship

AJ had handling problems early on, but hasn't shown any issues for a while now, while Talau struggles catching under pressure. Also, AJ has a great pass on him and good ability to suck a defender in to put his outside man away, that's why I think he has better hands. Time will tell if Keapoa does get decent time in the centres this year. I actually think he has very good fullback qualities, but centre will do.

Last edited:
AJ had handling problems early on, but hasn't shown any issues for a while now, while Talau struggles catching under pressure. Also, AJ has a great pass on him and good ability to suck a defender in to put his outside man away, that's why I think he has better hands. Time will tell if Keapoa does get decent time in the centres this year. I actually think he has very good fullback qualities, but centre will do.
I believe Kepaoa has such a great passing game and mix of power, pace and improved defence that he could slot into the 6 jumper if required.

I'm interested to see how tumeth goes with an eye on 2024.. as much as I want to win alot of games this year and I think we can.. 2024/25 was always the plan wasn't it.. also think junior tupou might be in the mix as a Smokey.. especially if there's an early injury

AJ, Talau or To'a are never going to be in the Top 10-15 centres in the game. All we can hope for is they perform like a Brad Parker, Morgan Harper type role.

AJ, Talau or To'a are never going to be in the Top 10-15 centres in the game. All we can hope for is they perform like a Brad Parker, Morgan Harper type role.
All 3 have a lot of potential, To'a can beat defenders easily, good step and has a strong fend, defence has been bad but so is those beside him, Talau lacks confidence big time, has the size and skill, if he can stay healthy, focus and bring the aggression he can be anything, AJ ..i really thought would of come on by now, hoping with a better forward pack, more attacking opportunities he can build his game.

I hope you are wrong but you made some interesting points here. Lock is one of those positions where people have a lot of different opinions on how they should play.
Depends on how many options your side can create in attack ...you don't necessarily need a ball playing lock ...but it wouldn't hurt if you can

Everyone still focussing on attack ...lets focus on limiting the opposition's attack ...or isn't that exciting enough

Depends on how many options your side can create in attack ...you don't necessarily need a ball playing lock ...but it wouldn't hurt if you can

Everyone still focussing on attack ...lets focus on limiting the opposition's attack ...or isn't that exciting enough

My take is we need to attack mainly because if you don't offer any attack the opposition just goes all out every set when they have the ball, compress their line in defense and smash you.

In stating that you need players who can attack and defend and if we hold our middle it's going to make it a lot easier to win.

Actually yes, it’s not exciting enough for the players that is, so as strange as it may sound, the increased ability to score tries creates confidence which in turn promotes bonding, which fosters more urgency in defence. It’s often said that a team’s ability to defend their line is a measure of its morale. As you know this only works if the team have the skills to defend.
Sheens is backing this theory. Hence the 200 passes at training and not 200 tackles.

Latest posts

Back