Recruitment/Retention Strategy for Fullback/Wingers/Centres

Vicious

FULLBACK - We should be ok with plenty of faith being shown in Bula to show continuous improvement and develop into an elite fullback.
Plenty of good signs shown by Heath Mason to continue developing into a very good back up fullback with the added bonus he is versatile enough to also play in the halves or as a 9.
If it comes to halfway through this season and Bula and/or Mason are not developing as well as we would like, there are plenty of recruitment options such as Tristan Sailor, Bevan French or Zac Lomax as a fullback etc
WINGERS - We are obviously hoping Charlie Staines lives up to his Forbes Ferrari nickname, scores plenty of tries and contributes well enough to become an automatic selection on one wing.
Dependant on how they play throughout 2024, but To’a and Naden may become better wing options, rather than their favoured centre position.
If any of these 3 do not play well enough throughout 2024, it would be best to try and move them on before the 2025 season commences.
As for potential recruits Nick Cotric and Semi Valemai are both in their prime age, both are big bodies who are good finishers and bring the ball out of their teams danger zone strongly.
Sam Stonestreet is a younger option with plenty of upside as he is taller and faster while having similar strengths as the other 2 .He is contracted to the Sharks, but with no clear pathway to a regular NRL spot, he could be on the lookout for a better opportunity.
Another 3 big bodied winger options are Edward Kosi, Tony Francis and Jeral Skelton.
Adam Pompey could also be looking for a change after being frozen out at the Warriors and although he favours playing centre, I’m sure he’d play as an NRL winger as opposed to not playing NRL at all.
Alex Lobb is a watch and see this season along with Alaimalo and Ngutlik while we also have Navren Willett and Luke Laulilli emerging.
CENTRES - We have pinned our hopes on Olam playing somewhere near his best as our left centre, while we have Naden, Faatape, Feledy and the emerging Heamasi Makasini as back ups to keep the pressure on him.
Kayal Iro is another potential left centre recruit, but I don’t think he’d be interested in being stuck behind Olam.
A young left centre named Mason Peut has a highly impressive highlights reel playing for the Sunshine Coast Falcons in the Hastings Deering Cup last season. Not sure where he’s got to this season, but he showed blinding speed and exceptional tackle breaking ability, he’s another we should be keeping a close eye on.
Right centre is open with To’a not doing enough to cement his position at present.
Naden can obviously play on the right also and it appears Faatape is having a crack on the right this week.
I think it’s almost unanimous that we ideally need to recruit someone who can be the point of difference for us in this position.
I’ve narrowed it down to Zac Lomax, James Schiller, Aaron Schoupp and Adam Pompey.
Lomax and Schiller the 2 standouts, I heavily favour Schiller as a value for money option who looks ready to star at NRL level on a regular basis.
As previously mentioned I’d also have a good look at Pompey as a starting winger, he’s good under the high ball and carries the ball strongly.
I’d also look at Schoupp as a utility off the bench as he’s shown glimpses that he could become a very good strike edge back rower as well as his regular position as a strong ball carrying centre.
Onitoni Large could quickly emerge as a right centre option also.

Last edited:
FULLBACK - We should be ok with plenty of faith being shown in Bula to show continuous improvement and develop into an elite fullback.
Plenty of good signs shown by Heath Mason to continue developing into a very good back up fullback with the added bonus he is versatile enough to also play in the halves or as a 9.
If it comes to halfway through this season and Bula and/or Mason are not developing as well as we would like, there are plenty of recruitment options such as Tristan Sailor, Bevan French etc
WINGERS - We are obviously hoping Charlie Staines lives up to his Forbes Ferrari nickname, scores plenty of tries and contributes well enough to become an automatic selection on one wing.
Dependant on how they play throughout 2024, but To’a Naden may become better wing options, rather than their favoured centre position.
If any of these 3 do not play well enough throughout 2024, it would be best to try and move them on before the 2025 season commences.
As for potential recruits Nick Cotric and Semi Valemai are both in their prime age, both are big bodies who are good finishers and bring the ball out of their teams danger zone strongly.
Sam Stonestreet is a younger option with plenty of upside as he is taller and faster while having similar strengths as the other 2 .He is contracted to the Sharks, but with no clear pathway to a regular NRL spot, he could be on the lookout for a better opportunity.
Another 3 big bodied winger options are Edward Kosi, Tony Francis and Jeral Skelton.
Adam Pompey could also be looking for a change after being frozen out at the Warriors and although he favours playing centre, I’m sure he’d play as an NRL winger as opposed to not playing NRL at all.
Alex Lobb is another watch and see this season along with Alaimalo and Ngutlik while we also have Navren Willett and Luke Laulilli emerging.
CENTRES - We have pinned our hopes on Olam playing somewhere near his best as our left centre, while we have Naden, Faatape, Feledy and the emerging Heamasi Makasini as back ups to keep the pressure on him.
Kayla Iro is another potential left centre recruit, but I don’t think he’d be interested in being stuck behind Olam.
Right centre is open with To’a not doing enough to cement his position at present.
Naden can obviously play on the right also and it appears Faatape is having a crack on the right this week.
I think it’s almost unanimous that we ideally need to recruit someone who can be the point of difference for us in this position.
I’ve narrowed it down to Zac Lomax, James Schiller, Aaron Schoupp and Adam Pompey.
Lomax and Schiller the 2 standouts, I heavily favour Schiller as a value for money option who looks ready to star at NRL level on a regular basis.
As previously mentioned I’d also have a good look at Pompey as a starting winger, he’s good under the high ball and carries the ball strongly.
I’d also look at Schoupp as a utility off the bench as he’s shown glimpses that he could become a very good strike edge back rower as well as his regular position as a strong ball carrying centre.
With Bula being tied down long term he’s got the FB spot for at least the next 2 years other then that both our centre & wing stocks need massive upgrading… currently the worst in the comp as it stands.

If it comes to halfway through this season and Bula and/or Mason are not developing as well as we would like, there are plenty of recruitment options such as Tristan Sailor, Bevan French etc
Dependant on how they play throughout 2024, but To’a Naden may become better wing options, rather than their favoured centre position.
Alex Lobb is another watch and see this season along with Alaimalo and Ngutlik while we also have Navren Willett and Luke Laulilli emerging.
Kayal Iro is another potential left centre recruit, but I don’t think he’d be interested in being stuck behind Olam.
It
Kayla Iro is another potential left centre recruit, but I don’t think he’d be interested in being stuck behind Olam.
Always intriges me how people on this forum seem to know who is good bad or otherwise of players from lower grades from other clubs? Do you watch players from lower grades and assess if they are NRL quality but held back by the incumbents or is it opinions of others or best guess?
I don't watch the players of other clubs lower grades even if they are playing the Tigers. Question. How do you come up with these assessments.
If they are accurate there is surely a job for you at the Tigers!

Always intriges me how people on this forum seem to know who is good bad or otherwise of players from lower grades from other clubs? Do you watch players from lower grades and assess if they are NRL quality but held back by the incumbents or is it opinions of others or best guess?
I don't watch the players of other clubs lower grades even if they are playing the Tigers. Question. How do you come up with these assessments.
If they are accurate there is surely a job for you at the Tigers!
I can only answer for myself, but I’ve long had a keen interest in seeing what players are emerging to become NRL star, therefore watch a lot of games and highlights from NSW Cup, Qld Cup, Jersey Flegg and Junior Reps.

A young left centre named Mason Peut has a highly impressive highlights reel playing for the Sunshine Coast Falcons in the Hastings Deering Cup last season. Not sure where he’s got to this season, but he showed blinding speed and exceptional tackle breaking ability, he’s another we should be keeping a close eye on.
I personally think think there is no room in our side for Toa and Naden at this point (although I hope the latter has a blinder this year and makes up for a dismal 2023). We need to shoot higher than Sailor, French, Schoupp and Cotric as new recruits. You're on the money with Schiller and Pompey would be a great addition. Lomax would be awesome but looks like Parra has somehow fit him under their sombrero.

Internally, I could see Makasini debuting in 2026 as a gun centre, Olam's last season at the club. I don't feel Feledy will make it at this stage. Mason looks like a quick Jonathon Docking to me; I have high hopes.

I've mentioned this kid before but was shot down by half of the forum - told he's just a 7s player...Now he's doing it for the Rebels and no doubt will be a Wallaby soon. Rebels are on the rocks - it might be a option to approach him. No doubt other NRL clubs will.

I've mentioned this kid before but was shot down by half of the forum - told he's just a 7s player...Now he's doing it for the Rebels and no doubt will be a Wallaby soon. Rebels are on the rocks - it might be a option to approach him. No doubt other NRL clubs will.

If he does well and crosses codes and.makes the nrl no doubt you'll remind us... But if he drifts off into obscurity will you remind us as well?

Oh yeah... Who?

Lobb was a reserve grader when we signed him, not sure why anyone expected anything more.

We’re losing one of our first choice wingers so it’s a good opportunity to replace him with someone who can contest bombs and help with yardage.

If he does well and crosses codes and.makes the nrl no doubt you'll remind us... But if he drifts off into obscurity will you remind us as well?

Oh yeah... Who?
Time will tell. Not claiming to be Nostradamus, just sick of the plodders we keep producing.

Latest posts

Members online

Back