Robbie Rochow

Brett Thurbon

Shout out to this guy, I thought he would only be back-up when signed, but he is going great. Would love to see him hit the edges a bit harder, but very solid defender, and drives our kick pressure.#onthebus

Started off great. Has been on empty the last few weeks. Atrocious defence.

He’s not a world beater but he is solid, does his job.

I’m thinking that McQueen may replace him though in the near future. McQueen has been in the 21 for a few weeks now so he must be improving although I don’t get to see ISP Matches

Looking at his defence the last couple of weeks, I can see why Souths & Melbourne were playing him in the middle

Been solid, although I think might be time for a rest

Shouldn't be playing 80 minutes - but has been good. Excellent against the cows.

I noticd at at the game thurs that he does a lot of good things that go unnoticed and dont get notoriety for. Felt more secure with him out there in d. He does a lot of the tough stuff that dont appear on stats but helps the team.

He is certainly putting the effort in, in defence. He doesn't stop.
He doesn't make the big hits but is always there.
If he does get replaced at some stage by McQueen or Alioia and they don't get involved in the scramble as much as what Rochow is currently doing, wholes may start appearing in our defence.
Sometimes Alioia goes missing or doesn't have the motor of Rochow.
2nd row is hard position. The collision are big there and the second Rowers. So far we have played Lawrence, Rochow, ET and Alioia in the second row. Rochow has gone a lot better than I thought he would and Alioia hasn't gone as well as I thought he'd go. ET looks better at DH than in the backrow.

@ said:
He is certainly putting the effort in, in defence. He doesn't stop.
He doesn't make the big hits but is always there.
If he does get replaced at some stage by McQueen or Alioia and they don't get involved in the scramble as much as what Rochow is currently doing, wholes may start appearing in our defence.
Sometimes Alioia goes missing or doesn't have the motor of Rochow.
2nd row is hard position. The collision are big there and the second Rowers. So far we have played Lawrence, Rochow, ET and Alioia in the second row. Rochow has gone a lot better than I thought he would and Alioia hasn't gone as well as I thought he'd go. ET looks better at DH than in the backrow.

I think ET is better at lock but in terms of getting the best team on the park I think he needs to spend some time at hooker. It allows us to have a fantastic defensive middle with ET, Matulino, Packer and Eisenhuth with Rochow and Lawrence on the edges. All of those guys work hard in defense and it's not often you see them failing to make an effort. I can't say the same for Aloiai, Sue or Grant - they've all got a defensive lapse in them at times through fatigue or laziness or a combination of both.

True battler. Played well at Leichhardt but lacks speed, power and athleticism. Struggles defensively defending on the edge.
It’s one position we have to upgrade I’d hope Aloai could play there but he looks like a middle forward and hasn’t struggled when put wide with his hands.

He is ok.

He defends well but offers little in attack.

I think the issue is at times we have Taylor, Eisenhuth, Rochow and to a much lesser extent Twal on the field who all have a limited impact in attack. They all have good work rates (defensively in particular), but not much doing with the ball

@ said:
Looking forward to seeing McQueen taking over and giving him a rest.

If McQueen was a standout in ISP, then yes. I don't think he has done that much yet.
I remember last year Masters was in great form in ISP and demanded selection. Then went on to cement his place in NRL. I'd only change Rochow If another 2nd Rower is killing it in ISP and can play right side.

He looks like and moves like a prop. He doesn't seem to have the speed and agility to be an effective edge player. His lack of dynamism means he can be a bit of liability in defence however what is more concerning is that he is not an effective target in attack. He doesn't run the threatening lines of Lawrence nor does he have the tackle busting ability of Aloiai.

I think he really puts in which is great but he kind of reminds me of Adam Blair in that he is a square peg in a round hole. We will get more value from him playing in the middle third.

Definitely worth persevering with but needs to be in the right position.

@ said:

Yeah he's been ordinary for the past month, plenty of missed tackles and buggerall yardage in attack. I'd be happy to give him a spell and bring Aloiai in.

@ said:

I agree - he doesn't hit the line hard and often pulls up just as he gets to it. Not a good hole runner. Is 2nd in NRL for missed tackles ( only Maloney in front of him ) and second in ineffective tackles. I think its time McQueen was given a run.

@ said:
@ said:

I agree - he doesn't hit the line hard and often pulls up just as he gets to it. Not a good hole runner. Is 2nd in NRL for missed tackles ( only Maloney in front of him ) and second in ineffective tackles. I think its time McQueen was given a run.

Or Garner or Garlic Aoili

Back