LIVE GAME Round 3 vs. Sharks

Live Game Discussion
It was the Jared Hayne rule implemented post the 2010 season.
Teams straight out figured that if Hayne can’t bring the ball back at a broken line the Eels are useless.
It gets worse this year. Not only are the attacking team penalised with a 7 tackle set to the opposition.
No even if that get it right. The short kick off penalty change gives the defending team even more chance to not be impacted by an attackers kick.
The league is giving it a very narrow margin for error.
They are taking controlling footy out of the game. Which can make for more exciting / inconsistent play.
What?

It was the Jared Hayne rule implemented post the 2010 season.
Teams straight out figured that if Hayne can’t bring the ball back at a broken line the Eels are useless.
It gets worse this year. Not only are the attacking team penalised with a 7 tackle set to the opposition.
No even if that get it right. The short kick off penalty change gives the defending team even more chance to not be impacted by an attackers kick.
The league is giving it a very narrow margin for error.
They are taking controlling footy out of the game. Which can make for more exciting / inconsistent play.
Not fussed how it came about and I reckon there might’ve been a couple of other handy fullbacks at the time that tactic was deployed against.
My thing is it’s a rule that penalises attacking footy and that’s what I wanna see more of. I don’t want my half to not take the attacking option bcoz he gets penalised, we should be encouraging attacking skills in players.

Not fussed how it came about and I reckon there might’ve been a couple of other handy fullbacks at the time that tactic was deployed against.
My thing is it’s a rule that penalises attacking footy and that’s what I wanna see more of. I don’t want my half to not take the attacking option bcoz he gets penalised, we should be encouraging attacking skills in players.
That’s one way to look at it.
If that play was repeated and Galvin didn’t do it on a whim but as a set play, the chase could ensure that even though the kick had a bit too much gas enough pressure is put on the opposition to make a play.
It’s not taking attacking footy out of the game; it’s almost encouraging it. It’s taking the methodical approach to footy out of the game.
Watch how many teams that have to defend a repeat set will roll the dice with a short kick off knowing that as a punishment they don’t lose any points, the worst outcome is they have to defend another set.
It’s tightening the margin for error so that play needs to be more precise. The good halves will still nail it. But it also comes down to the effort on the chases to make it work while.

I can’t find the thread but we were talking about refs and rule changes etc. The 7 tackle set when the ball goes over the dead ball line from the A team was mentioned, and this rule was bought in to stop teams nullifying the opposing FBack by booting the ball out over the dead ball line.
My problem is, that this rule also penalises good attacking play.
I point to Galvin’s first grubber into the in goal area that was supposed to be an attacking kick for the out side men to score. He didn’t want the ball to go dead and was crook at himself for doing so. A good play that he may get correct next time, and he should not be penalised for such an error.
Also Api nearly scored and during that attacking play the ball went over the dead ball line, again he didn’t want the ball to go over the dead ball line, and again he gets penalised for an attacking play that he may get correct next time.
Both these plays are not the reason the rule was introduced. I reckon an easy fix is as soon as your in the red zone it’s back to a 6 tackle set.
Anyway just my thoughts after watching the game so I thought I would post it here.
I would rather the rule scrapped because adding another clause to the rule would probably make the referees forget something else

That’s one way to look at it.
If that play was repeated and Galvin didn’t do it on a whim but as a set play, the chase could ensure that even though the kick had a bit too much gas enough pressure is put on the opposition to make a play.
It’s not taking attacking footy out of the game; it’s almost encouraging it. It’s taking the methodical approach to footy out of the game.
Watch how many teams that have to defend a repeat set will roll the dice with a short kick off knowing that as a punishment they don’t lose any points, the worst outcome is they have to defend another set.
It’s tightening the margin for error so that play needs to be more precise. The good halves will still nail it. But it also comes down to the effort on the chases to make it work while.
Too many rule changes on a whim are destroying the game. Unlimited interchange wrecked footy by swapping fitness for skill. The NRL is now backpedaling furiously attempting to reintroduce skills. Take the Mark Coyne Origin try for example, possibly the greatest ever scored. That will never be repeated in a game of rugby league under the current rules simply because that level of skill from that number of players at once has been ruled out of the game, substituting power and speed for skill.

If I was coach - and im not - and for for good reason..... I am nobody and nothing..... just saying.... in fantasy land..... if I was.... I would have Kepoa on the wing against Sivo. Breathe easy. Big and strong also Kepoa. Pity his bumbling hands let him down.

If I was coach - and im not - and for for good reason..... I am nobody and nothing..... just saying.... in fantasy land..... if I was.... I would have Kepoa on the wing against Sivo. Breathe easy. Big and strong also Kepoa. Pity his bumbling hands let him down.
Might get your wish if Staines

Caught up with a mate who was at the game. Interesting insight.
Defensively, Olam is the organiser, very vocal on left side and formation not as tight (perhaps with more experiece and stains speed to jam) as the right side in which Papalii is the organiser. Perhaps due to not as experienced Faataape & Jr outside.
Offense was predominantly called by Api & Sezer with Api directing forwards spots to get to ie right post and Sam Fainu was really good at this.
Galvin so intense and we heard Benji told him if he sees something call for the ball. Well he must see often coz he kept on asking for the ball 😅 Sezer & Api have to be selective. He was screaming for the ball play before he put Olam thru then finally got the ball and did his thing.

As many said, we won this on the back of our defense. Take Olam out Toa there then we're in trouble on the left side. Take Papalii out and Kepaoa there and we be equally poop on the right side.

Caught up with a mate who was at the game. Interesting insight.
Defensively, Olam is the organiser, very vocal on left side and formation not as tight (perhaps with more experiece and stains speed to jam) as the right side in which Papalii is the organiser. Perhaps due to not as experienced Faataape & Jr outside.
Offense was predominantly called by Api & Sezer with Api directing forwards spots to get to ie right post and Sam Fainu was really good at this.
Galvin so intense and we heard Benji told him if he sees something call for the ball. Well he must see often coz he kept on asking for the ball 😅 Sezer & Api have to be selective. He was screaming for the ball play before he put Olam thru then finally got the ball and did his thing.

As many said, we won this on the back of our defense. Take Olam out Toa there then we're in trouble on the left side. Take Papalii out and Kepaoa there and we be equally poop on the right side.
Agree.Just watched the replay(was o/s last w/e)and Sezer did a pretty good job with his kicking game too
And Bula has grown into a genuine threat
Only weak link was Staines imo

Although Junior is on the left and Staines is on the right.
It actually rewatched last night to see if i can catch his insight.. and also got confused with who is with who on each side 😅. But yea sounds like if we have the same as last week with Olam/papalii organising the defense out wide then we have better chance of stopping the edge raid

Latest posts

Staff online

Back