LIVE GAME Round 9 vs. Bulldogs

Live Game Discussion
The NRL'S AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PROGRAMME IS STINKING UP THE COMP.

Both females today were atrocious, and we all know why they're being given games.
But look at the games they were given,
Dogs v tigers nrl thinks dogs will win stick a female in
Storm v titans nrl thinks storm will win stick a female in
Why didn’t they get the roosters or the cowboys games , because there CEO s would maybe blow up 😏😳

Yes he's young and gets 20mins but my problem I've never seen him do anything ! Shouldn't he have a couple of dazzling blinders in lower grades before promotion ? Only claim to fame is he comes highly recommended by Scott Fulton
I really hope he ends up a star and his Brother Samuela is already showing signs of being a regular 1st grader
Yeah that’s fair too. Would be good to be a competent club that can give emerging players more time to develop in the lower grades. Hopefully we can get there over the next few years.

How the hell do the dogs manage to win the yardage and keep us parked at our own end? I thought we had the bigger pack?

How the hell do the dogs manage to win the yardage and keep us parked at our own end? I thought we had the bigger pack?
We generally struggle to make good yards on the kick return and two plus plays following.

Tigers ?!?
The roster is generally inexperienced or poor so needs a lot of coaching e.g. Galvin 18 and expected to lead the attack, Alaimalo, a rugby convert! Benji seems like he is doing a good job but its a huge mountain to climb

:D:D Have you missed all the convo? It was the ref or lack of heart/effort. Take your pick or just watch and make up your own mind

I don’t know what you watch . Playing the “ref is always right “ is absolute nonsense , and if no help to anyone . She was shit . The dogs had a clear game plan to get off thier line early and often and put pressure on her to make a decision . She crumbled under that pressure . She did not call one offside penalty that whole second half yet , the whole first 20 mins was offside penalties galore for both teams , when all the players were fresh .
Once again I’ll say it , you cannot have that line speed for 40 minutes , for 13 players to not have a high percentage of them be offside . 1 set , maybe 2 , but 40 minutes … ? Nope . Unless every player on the field is an Olympic level triathlete .

We have all the excuses in the world on why we lost. We simply got outplayed both physically and tactically. Let's be real, the dogs are definitely fitter this year, they were relentless and reminded me of Penrith.

Our squad is the worst in the league. At 2 wins and 3, 4 or 5 losses you could say we were overachieving. 2-6 is about right for our squad.

Some thoughts:

Bula continues to be up and down this season. Definitely creating more, but also more errors and strangely out of place positionally again. Still feel Bula, Galvin, Latu, Samuela provide hope and excitement and show spark.

Staines looks like a winger!

Simpkin had a good game.

Feel sorry for Olam with his huge celebration for saving a try at the end of the half I thought it would lift the team, but nah. He works really hard, all effort, must be hard to do when most of the team seems to be going half pace.

But the difference between the two teams was a poor 30 minutes from us after Simpkin went off and it was really difficult to pull momentum back. Our feet look stuck in the ground.

For all the criticism of Klemmer and Stefano, they're a lot better than our bench props, and this is the second week where they've come off, the other side has got away, and they come back with the game well in control to the other side. It's a big problem because I don't see anything better elsewhere. One thing they must do is stagger them more. Have Stefano stay on longer in the first half, and have Klemmer come on earlier than Stefano in the second. One of the props needed to be sent on when Simpkin went on 10 minutes into the second half. If he's going to play controlled football, rather than aggressive, I'd like to see Stefano evolve into a 60 minute prop.

People are too harsh on Papalii but his lack of lateral movement gets exposed out wide because he's defending on the back foot. Probably on a better team he gets to just line the opposition up. Agree with others who suggest he should go into the middle, but I'd play him as a bench prop rather than a 13, he'd stifle our attack as a 13. But who could play edge for us??? Hopefully Matamua can do it?

I also think people are harsh on Bateman. He's often making effective runs and tackles. There's no way you could drop him and I don't even mind him at 13, I just wish he'd focus on playing a really simple game. He's too desperate and emotional and it hurts us multiple times every week.

I think people are also harsh on Sezer. Did people expect a superstar? He's high involvement and does the basics well. He had a bad game last week, and he's not young anymore, but I think he plays an important role for the team.

Twal, who has always been one of my favourites, has been very poor this season. We look more vulnerable defensively and in attack when he's on the field. Don't see value in playing him, but don't think there's a better option. And I'm still probably hooking Seyfarth before him, because Seyfarth is too loose for little effect.

Finally, we've matched it for periods with every team we've played. We just get in our own way with terrible errors, relieving penalties and poor last tackle options. We're definitely a bad team, but there's a lot that looks quite promising as well, and that wasn't the case in the past.

I know it's probably against Benjiball, but I'd like to see us look to offload a little more. We don't usually get go forward but often our forwards have their arms free but we tend to play pretty conservatively. I just don't see us outmuscling other teams when we have a massive gaping hole in our forward pack as soon as stefano and Klemmer get tired.

Ref was terrible. Not about costing the game, just was really messy everywhere. I know I'm biased but there was a brief spell halfway through the first half against the Broncos, and when we played the Sharks, where the referees seemed to actually police all the flops and leg pulls and extra efforts after being called held that the other teams do to us. Again, these things I'm sure go both ways, just we've been part of some really slow clunky games where the ref seems to allow a whole lot of leniency in the ruck work. Anyway, if we stop stupidly knocking on at the worst time, and actually organise a decent backline move, I'm sure there will be less of that to focus on.

Our squad is the worst in the league. At 2 wins and 3, 4 or 5 losses you could say we were overachieving. 2-6 is about right for our squad.

Some thoughts:

Bula continues to be up and down this season. Definitely creating more, but also more errors and strangely out of place positionally again. Still feel Bula, Galvin, Latu, Samuela provide hope and excitement and show spark.

Simpkin had a good game.

Feel sorry for Olam with his huge celebration for saving a try at the end of the half I thought it would lift the team, but nah. He works really hard, all effort, must be hard to do when most of the team seems to be going half pace.

But the difference between the two teams was a poor 30 minutes from us after Simpkin went off and it was really difficult to pull momentum back. Our feet look stuck in the ground.

For all the criticism of Klemmer and Stefano, they're a lot better than our bench props, and this is the second week where they've come off, the other side has got away, and they come back with the game well in control to the other side. It's a big problem because I don't see anything better elsewhere. One thing they must do is stagger them more. Have Stefano stay on longer in the first half, and have Klemmer come on earlier than Stefano in the second. One of the props needed to be sent on when Simpkin went on 10 minutes into the second half. If he's going to play controlled football, rather than aggressive, I'd like to see Stefano evolve into a 60 minute prop.

People are too harsh on Papalii but his lack of lateral movement gets exposed out wide because he's defending on the back foot. Probably on a better team he gets to just line the opposition up. Agree with others who suggest he should go into the middle, but I'd play him as a bench prop rather than a 13, he'd stifle our attack as a 13. But who could play edge for us??? Hopefully Matamua can do it?

I also think people are harsh on Bateman. He's often making effective runs and tackles. There's no way you could drop him and I don't even mind him at 13, I just wish he'd focus on playing a really simple game. He's too desperate and emotional and it hurts us multiple times every week.

I think people are also harsh on Sezer. Did people expect a superstar? He's high involvement and does the basics well. He had a bad game last week, and he's not young anymore, but I think he plays an important role for the team.

Twal, who has always been one of my favourites, has been very poor this season. We look more vulnerable defensively and in attack when he's on the field. Don't see value in playing him, but don't think there's a better option. And I'm still probably hooking Seyfarth before him, because Seyfarth is too loose for little effect.

Finally, we've matched it for periods with every team we've played. We just get in our own way with terrible errors, relieving penalties and poor last tackle options. We're definitely a bad team, but there's a lot that looks quite promising as well, and that wasn't the case in the past.

I know it's probably against Benjiball, but I'd like to see us look to offload a little more. We don't usually get go forward but often our forwards have their arms free but we tend to play pretty conservatively. I just don't see us outmuscling other teams when we have a massive gaping hole in our forward pack as soon as stefano and Klemmer get tired.

Ref was terrible. Not about costing the game, just was really messy everywhere. I know I'm biased but there was a brief spell halfway through the first half against the Broncos, and when we played the Sharks, where the referees seemed to actually police all the flops and leg pulls and extra efforts after being called held that the other teams do to us. Again, these things I'm sure go both ways, just we've been part of some really slow clunky games where the ref seems to allow a whole lot of leniency in the ruck work. Anyway, if we stop stupidly knocking on at the worst time, and actually organise a decent backline move, I'm sure there will be less of that to focus on.
I reckon Staines looks like a fullback.
either way, it’s just great to finally see him running freely without injury.

Are you a doggie supporter?
Yes would be my answer. Trolling. We were outplayed. He knows it, we know it. Doesn't mean you can't call out other factors that played their part.
We will see how good they really are next week against Penrith at Penrith. Can only hope Kasey maintains her first grade status and gets this game.

Not sure on the stats today. Im a supporter of Stefs, but his last few games haven't screamed get me back into the action. I don't know what is happening with him, but weeks ago i was in the "get Stef back on" to change some momentum, but that has disappeared for some reason
We were doing alright in stefano first dig, and getting pumped with him off. So simples!

Yes he's young and gets 20mins but my problem I've never seen him do anything ! Shouldn't he have a couple of dazzling blinders in lower grades before promotion ? Only claim to fame is he comes highly recommended by Scott Fulton
I really hope he ends up a star and his Brother Samuela is already showing signs of being a regular 1st grader
WTF do you want from him? Seriously? 😟 he comes in on to a position he is unfamiliar with , in a game where the incompetent affirmative action ref is allowing the Dogs to be 4 metres offside that are jamming in on runners that are not running onto the ball at all properly and have no shape and in a defence that is going backwards .. Cameron Smith would struggle to shine in this role I feel, let alone a 2 game teenage 5/8 coming back from a hamstring injury .. Latu will be a star, I’m certain of it and him and his brother and Lachie will thrive when Jarone comes to join them with his standards and his experience and his drive and will to win .. be patient mate , Benji is on the right track..22 to 14 is not a bad loss . Its just a loss that is a big improvement on where we are coming from.. the boys work for each other and play for each other and the combinations are starting to take shape .. I have hope for the first time inn10 years

Last edited:
Almost certainly too early for both to return for good minutes, though Seyfarth definitely should have come on immediately and possibly one of the starters, but more likely at least 5 minutes later for mine.
U need to know when too change the flow of the game. That was the time we needed to as, we were getting monstered. These are the time a great coach tries to do something, not just sit there.
The end result speaks for itself!

Olam’s defence is a little concerning …. comes up and in out of the line at a million miles an hour but never seems to wrap up the opposing player … didn’t lead to a try today but could have been a couple …
Feels like he's desperately trying to make an impact & lift the team anyway he can. Can't fault him for that but gotta make the tackle.

Some thoughts:

Simpkin had a good game.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back