Ryan Matterson

If true, this is a great pickup. He was having a great year until his injury mid-season.
Will fill a massive hole on the right edge.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I would think being behind Boyd, Radley, Liu and likely Crichton, battling weekly with Aubusson, Butcher and Collins is reason enough to want to cement a permanent FG spot elsewhere, without needing another forward to tip you over the edge.

He was given permission to talk to other clubs.

The Roosters pulled the pin!

Im saying Taupau or TPJ is the reason the Roosters have let him go. That and the concussion risk.

Good player unwanted by his current club = perfect signing.

Let's be honest, we can second guess any signing. If they're young, they're unproven. If they're old, they're past it. If their current club is prepared to release them, they're useless. If their current club fights to keep them, they're probably only going to move for overs. If we're in competition with a lot of other clubs, we're probably going to have to pay too much. If we're _not_ in competition with a lot of other clubs, the player is probably useless.

Brilliant summation of the moaners who frequent this space.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people moan. We haven't made finals for seven years and for most of them we haven't been close - in some ways it's tempting just to throw a blanket over all our signings by saying "the Tigers have signed this guy so he's probably crap, overpaid or both".

I just don't see much point in some of the criticism that gets thrown out. Signings aren't bad _because_ the player concerned is too young (Ponga), not playing regular first grade (Paul Vaughan) or personally problematic (James Roberts). Nor should the Tigers be rushing out to throw money at every "established first grader" on the market (Ben Hunt). I just don't think our fans have a lot of faith in the Tigers making the right calls.

@ said:
Another infamous ball playing back rower. God I hate that term

thats good because RM is much more than that …

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/23/stat-attack-ryan-matterson-is-the-roosters-new-tackling-machine/

Stat Attack: The Roosters' new tackling machine

Author

Chris Kennedy

Mon 23 Apr 2018, 12:49 PM

Roosters second-rower Ryan Matterson's monster defensive effort against the Bulldogs on Thursday night signalled the arrival of a new defensive workhorse, with his 65 tackles easily the biggest one-game defensive effort this year by a player not wearing a No.9 on his back.

While the Roosters' 6-0 win didn't reach the soaring heights of some of the thrilling matches in the rest of round seven, Trent Robinson's squad's backs-to-the-wall tackling effort was hugely impressive in its own right as they soaked up a mountain of pressure on their own line, eventually being forced to make more than 100 tackles more than their opponents (440-336).

Matterson's match-high 65 tackles was easily the most tackles made in a game this year by someone other than a hooker and just one short of the 66 managed by Manly's Api Koroisau in round one (in a golden point game) and Parramatta's Kaysa Pritchard against Canberra in round six.

Next best for a non-hooker was the 57 by Russell Packer in a round-three golden point loss against Brisbane, in which his minutes were hugely inflated by not just extra time but a stack of injuries and HIAs elsewhere in the team. Next best after that so far is 53, by Packer's Wests Tigers teammate Elijah Taylor.

Manly's Jake Trbojevic is the only non-hooker to have made more than Matterson's 289 total tackles this year but if Matterson's past three weeks are any gauge he will easily climb from his current spot of seventh-most tackles by any player this season as the weeks progress.

Matterson's impressive 92.9% effective rate is almost identical to Trbojevic's (93%) and only Bronco Andrew McCullough (313 tackles at 96.3%), Eel Daniel Alvaro (277 at 93.9%) and Storm skipper Cam Smith (276 at 94.2%) make a similar volume of tackles to Matterson at an equal or better effective rate.

-------

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I would think being behind Boyd, Radley, Liu and likely Crichton, battling weekly with Aubusson, Butcher and Collins is reason enough to want to cement a permanent FG spot elsewhere, without needing another forward to tip you over the edge.

Im saying Taupau or TPJ is the reason the Roosters have let him go. That and the concussion risk.

Let's be honest, we can second guess any signing. If they're young, they're unproven. If they're old, they're past it. If their current club is prepared to release them, they're useless. If their current club fights to keep them, they're probably only going to move for overs. If we're in competition with a lot of other clubs, we're probably going to have to pay too much. If we're _not_ in competition with a lot of other clubs, the player is probably useless.

I must admit the concussion issues are mildly concerning , but barring that the boy can play

Firstly I’m pretty excited about Matterson, from the limited amount that I’ve seen of him in games he looks like a quality first grader.

However looking at the highlights above he does remind me a little of Sironen, a five eight trapped in a second rowers body. He obviously has real ball playing ability due to coming through the ranks in the halves I just hope he has realised his future is in the back row.

If he does use those ball playing skills and combines it with being a strong, hole hitting forward I think we have a real gem on our hands… providing we actually sign him.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

I must admit the concussion issues are mildly concerning , but barring that the boy can play

We just need to get the opposition to stop hitting him on the head, then.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

We will just need to use of manners "Please can you not hit our best signing around the chops " :pray:

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

We will just need to use of manners "Please can you not hit our best signing around the chops " :pray:

Teddy used to get smacked in the head every game. He went alright. Do they still bash him now he's a Rorter? I do admit I haven't seen much of him in those colours.

Finally a player that is NRL standard hopefully signed hard to believe ,let it not be the last !

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

There are some fundamental flaws in your argument.

1\. If a club releases a player it perceives they have a better value option. If we pick up a player at a lower value, they could be a better value option for us than we have currently.
2\. Also don’t necessarily assume we are a poor option. The lack of egoes and our setup might suit certain players ie, our fullback likes our tighter setup vs the dogs. Also there are abundant opportunities to come here and influence the culture and future of our club (not everyone is particularly driven by $$$$)
3\. For example if I’m a second tier player at a big club I take a risk to come here and get a decent run at cementing a first grade spot and become a big name player (think cook from Souths)

Why are some suggesting we would not have paid overs? Is there any info on the contract value?

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

There are some fundamental flaws in your argument.

1\. If a club releases a player it perceives they have a better value option. If we pick up a player at a lower value, they could be a better value option for us than we have currently.
2\. Also don’t necessarily assume we are a poor option. The lack of egoes and our setup might suit certain players ie, our fullback likes our tighter setup vs the dogs. Also there are abundant opportunities to come here and influence the culture and future of our club (not everyone is particularly driven by $$$$)
3\. For example if I’m a second tier player at a big club I take a risk to come here and get a decent run at cementing a first grade spot and become a big name player (think cook from Souths)

It is hard to explain to many it is not always about money …obviously many are blinded by the $ but as stated above the real motivation for many is to play at the elite level of your sport .
Playing for the Tigers never hindered the progression of Woods or Teddy to rep level .
. The Tigers do offer the opportunity to progress ones career as languishing in lower grades at other clubs seems a dead end while being paid well .

The word I have once removed from a former great at the Roosters is that Matterson, Napa and maybe JWH are being moved on to make way for Crichton who is already coming and there is a very big play to get TPJ away from the Broncs. The back up position for them is apparently Tapau
So sounds like Marty is definitely in the market, hopefully we are considering him and maybe it's best for us that the Roosters do get TPJ

@ said:
The word I have once removed from a former great at the Roosters is that Matterson, Napa and maybe JWH are being moved on to make way for Crichton who is already coming and there is a very big play to get TPJ away from the Broncs. The back up position for them is apparently Tapau
So sounds like Marty is definitely in the market, hopefully we are considering him and maybe it's best for us that the Roosters do get TPJ

The Roosters will probably just sign both.

Matterson will be a great signing. Probably looking for a starting role which I think he will get. I dont understand the concerns regarding concussion. Yes he left the field after the football was kicked to his head and was out for several weeks, however he had wrist/hand surgery during that time. How many other times did he have HIA problems, that I must have missed?

I was really happy when I first saw that it’s possible, but after thinking about it , I’m not too sure. I had him in my Fantasy team , so watched him fairly closely, his weird injuries ,Concussions and surgery,
The concussion was apparently a serious one, not just a knock on the head and when he came back , he was nowhere near the player that was killing them before that.
Very little info on what the other surgeries were about , but he’s been dropped since he came back after a couple of very ordinary games.
May be nothing, but I get the shakes when we start looking at players with bad injuries,
He would be a big risk unless he was very cheap, and he shouldn’t be cheap if he’s ok

Back