Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@tigerbalm said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276589) said:
@Cultured_Bogan said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276588) said:
@bathursttiger1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276585) said:
I see that Alex Seyfarth has re-signed with the WT for the 2021 season.

Heard a rumour that Penrith might be after Packer.

Friday drinks started early.

Only passing on what I'd heard. It's come from a Penrith fan. They are less than enthused.

@AdelaideTiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276586) said:
@bathursttiger1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276580) said:
@AdelaideTiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276552) said:
Does anyone here know much about Tex Hoy? I thought he looked good in limited outings last year and seems to be stuck behind others at Newy.
Apparently he can goal kick, is 91kgs at 21 years of age, fullback primary position and is off contract at the end of '21.
Seems to tick a few boxes.

Only that his father was a Newcastle surfing star, and they are true blue Newie people.
Tex has had big wraps on him for years, I can’t see him moving from Newie.

Mmm had heard about his old man. Be interesting to see if he gets much game time this year.

Also worth noting, I had a look at the Newcastle Roster and they have a kid named Dominic Young, listed at 6ft6 and nearly a buck ten, playing the centres and signed until 2023. Never heard of the bloke but that is a big centre.

Looks like they signed him from Huddersfield Giants, looks similar to Jamal Idris.

@Cultured_Bogan said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276591) said:
@tigerbalm said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276589) said:

Friday drinks started early.

Only passing on what I'd heard. It's come from a Penrith fan. They are less than enthused.

I wonder why they aren’t to enthusiastic.
Party time at Concord.

Interesting but if the Panthers had salary cap issues and didn't want to re-sign Tamou for what we paid (presume around $350,000 if reports correct) then how much freight would we have to carry to get rid of Packer?? Obviously we would want Laurie released for 2021 as part of any deal.

@bathursttiger1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276592) said:
Does anyone here know much about Tex Hoy? I thought he looked good in limited outings last year and seems to be stuck behind others at Newy.
Apparently he can goal kick, is 91kgs at 21 years of age, fullback primary position and is off contract at the end of '21.

Only that his father was a Newcastle surfing star, and they are true blue Newie people.

Mmm had heard about his old man. Be interesting to see if he gets much game time this year.

Also worth noting, I had a look at the Newcastle Roster and they have a kid named Dominic Young, listed at 6ft6 and nearly a buck ten, playing the centres and signed until 2023. Never heard of the bloke but that is a big centre.

Looks like they signed him from Huddersfield Giants, looks similar to Jamal Idris.

Ahh pommy, makes more sense now. Cheers for the info!

Wests Tigers re-sign Alex Seyfarth
Author
Dan Talintyre
Timestamp
Fri 4 Dec 2020, 03:20 PM

Wests Tigers have today confirmed that local junior Alex Seyfarth has signed a new playing contract with the club for the 2021 NRL season.Seyfarth, who made his first-grade debut for the club last season, has signed a one-year contract extension that will keep him in Wests Tigers colours until the end of the 2021 season. A Dundas Shamrocks junior, Seyfarth progressed through the ranks at Wests Tigers en route to his NRL debut in 2020 — named the club’s Jersey Flegg Player of the Year in 2018 following his junior representative debut for New South Wales U/16’s in 2017.

Having featured prominently in the club’s reserve-grade side in 2019, Seyfarth made his NRL debut in the restart of the 2020 NRL season — coming off the bench to help Wests Tigers secure victory over the Cronulla Sharks. The 21-year-old would go on to play a total of four matches in his rookie season and will look to further add to that total in 2021.

Seyfarth said he was delighted to remain in Wests Tigers colours.

“I’m really happy to be able to re-sign with this club,” Seyfarth said. “I’ve grown up wanting to play for these colours and being able to make my debut for Wests Tigers was a dream come true.

“I learned a lot last year having made my debut and I’m really determined to get even better next year and consolidate a spot in the side every week.

“Coach Michael Maguire and all the boys have been really supportive of me since coming into the top grade and I’m looking forward to another really strong season with Wests Tigers.”

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said it was extremely pleasing to see another local junior commit to the club and congratulated Alex on his new deal.

“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, I’d like to congratulate Alex on extending his playing contract with the club,” Pascoe said.

“Wests Tigers is a proud club with a rich history of seeing local juniors develop through our pathways program and Alex is a great testament to that system. He has worked very hard on his game to get to where he is now and we’re looking forward to him adding a lot to our squad in the year ahead.”

Wests Tigers Coach Michael Maguire said he was looking forward to seeing Alex develop further in the 2021 season.

“I’m very pleased to see Alex re-sign with the club,” Maguire said.

“I was really pleased with how he applied himself to his training last year and look forward to seeing him progress further as a player in the year ahead.

“We’re really excited to see another local junior debut and re-sign with the club and Alex is a great example of the pathways our club has.”

Big no to Mansour from me. That would be going backwards. We should be going all out for better players than that for 2022 onwards like S Crighton etc

Ivan repaying the tigers faithful

@TopTiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276594) said:

Interesting but if the Panthers had salary cap issues and didn't want to re-sign Tamou for what we paid (presume around $350,000 if reports correct) then how much freight would we have to carry to get rid of Packer?? Obviously we would want Laurie released for 2021 as part of any deal.

I would think that's it. We would cover his wage for him to play for Penrith less a top 30 contract in order for us to secure Laurie. If it comes off it might explain the delay on Seyfarth?

Yeah wouldn’t give them Packer unless we could get Laurie, or we’ve got someone to sign in packers place who’s decent. It’s the last year of his contract so if there’s nothing lined up makes no sense to let him go, he’s good to have around the younger guys at the very least.

I thought Packer didn’t like Ivan anymore anyway after he ditched us

If mansour is blocking your path to first grade, then maybe you're not meant for first grade.....?

Only way you release packer is if Laurie comes to us in a swap.

@TopTiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276594) said:

Don't get excited

@AdelaideTiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276595) said:

There are some YouTube highlights of him, he’s a big unit.

@bathursttiger1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276611) said:
@AdelaideTiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276595) said:

There are some YouTube highlights of him, he’s a big unit.

Just had a look, hes a big boi, but he runs like a new born Giraffe, definitely needs some time to grow into his body.

I think if Packer is injury free, then he may have a good year for us, it is contract year, but the $’s he got from us via Ivan are not ever going to happen again.

@InMadgeWeTrust said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276094) said:
@Russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276001) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275999) said:
@Russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275995) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275993) said:
@Russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275984) said:
@Tigerbuck63 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275967) said:
@bathursttiger1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275964) said:
@Tigerbuck63 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275955) said:
@crazycat said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275943) said:
@Curly_Tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275905) said:
For me the priorities would be Harry Grant, Angus Crichton, JAC in that order

2021 would be a bonus for any of these but not impossible, these things move in mysterious ways and I feel we are still holding a fair chunk of spare cap, up to $900k (assumes Seyfarth signed) and we have some flexibility on Garner and Liddle who are likely on around $300k each

Dare to dream but that would make one a definite possibility for 2021 if they became available but harder to see how you do two of them
Two base replacements would leave $1.25-1.3m for AC & say HG, might not be impossible on a multi year deal

The problem if we sign Harry Grant, Why would we sign both Liddle and Simpkin?
I like Harry Grant, he would be an awesome signing. But now that he is SOO material he will probably be in the high 700-800 range at least. You punt Liddle who probably has some Club Loyalty we then are left with 500k for Grant.... Not happening with Either AC or JAC.

There is no way we can sign Angus Crichton and HG. Yet I think about it and Angus Crichton is exactly the kind of player I would want signed. Gutsy mad forward. The way I see it there will always be wingers, centers and halves coming through that you can punt on. You get a good forward base going you start winning on momentum.

Well we have signed a few forwards for 2021 so lets see how they gel as a unit and hopefully compete well.
In relation to Grant agree now an Origin player and will demand Top $ next contract and i thought Simpkins was going to be the next big thing coming out of QLD?

Give Simpkins a few games and see if he is the next big thing, from all reports Broncos were filthy about losing him.

Well i hope he puts lots of pressure on Liddle as not really convinced about him with his win rate.
Although he might finally get a few games this season.

I'm not convinced about Simpkin and his win rate, which is zero.

Are you more excited by Jacob Liddle's, which is 36%?

I am much more excited over jake's 36% than Simpkin and his 0% - yes.

Obviously people think Liddle should have won more games on his own to increase his percentage. It is a team sport, other players need to put in as well and if they did, maybe that also may lift Jake's percentage.

So you're not convinced about Simpkin because his win rate is zero, but you also don't care about Liddle's win rate being so poor because it's a team sport?

No Avo, I am just tired of people thinking this kid Simpkin is better than Liddle, the answer to all our problems, the next big thing, going to play SOO etc. etc. when he has not even laced up a boot in the NRL.

Now he may well be all those things but at the moment all he has is potential, which usually is a dirty word on this Forum - most people have skipped the potential part and are just saying he is it.

Well, 36% is not great for Jake, but he did not play all those teams by himself. Until Simpkin plays as many games, that is 43 to this point I will not be convinced that he is any better than Liddle who I rate as better than a good player.

Don't think that is an unreasonable thing to expect.

Do you need 43 games to judge if Grant is better than Liddle? I could tell within 10 minutes of a trial game for the Storm.

Good for you Sunnyboy - I'm not talking about Grant, in fact I didn't even mention his name.

@JC99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276600) said:
Yeah wouldn’t give them Packer unless we could get Laurie, or we’ve got someone to sign in packers place who’s decent. It’s the last year of his contract so if there’s nothing lined up makes no sense to let him go, he’s good to have around the younger guys at the very least.

I thought Packer didn’t like Ivan anymore anyway after he ditched us

I would be more than happy to get him out for nothing, even more, I would pay them 200k just to take them off our books!

@Russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276617) said:
@InMadgeWeTrust said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276094) said:
@Russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276001) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275999) said:
@Russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275995) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275993) said:
@Russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275984) said:
@Tigerbuck63 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275967) said:
@bathursttiger1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275964) said:
@Tigerbuck63 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275955) said:
@crazycat said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275943) said:
@Curly_Tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1275905) said:
For me the priorities would be Harry Grant, Angus Crichton, JAC in that order

2021 would be a bonus for any of these but not impossible, these things move in mysterious ways and I feel we are still holding a fair chunk of spare cap, up to $900k (assumes Seyfarth signed) and we have some flexibility on Garner and Liddle who are likely on around $300k each

Dare to dream but that would make one a definite possibility for 2021 if they became available but harder to see how you do two of them
Two base replacements would leave $1.25-1.3m for AC & say HG, might not be impossible on a multi year deal

The problem if we sign Harry Grant, Why would we sign both Liddle and Simpkin?
I like Harry Grant, he would be an awesome signing. But now that he is SOO material he will probably be in the high 700-800 range at least. You punt Liddle who probably has some Club Loyalty we then are left with 500k for Grant.... Not happening with Either AC or JAC.

There is no way we can sign Angus Crichton and HG. Yet I think about it and Angus Crichton is exactly the kind of player I would want signed. Gutsy mad forward. The way I see it there will always be wingers, centers and halves coming through that you can punt on. You get a good forward base going you start winning on momentum.

Well we have signed a few forwards for 2021 so lets see how they gel as a unit and hopefully compete well.
In relation to Grant agree now an Origin player and will demand Top $ next contract and i thought Simpkins was going to be the next big thing coming out of QLD?

Give Simpkins a few games and see if he is the next big thing, from all reports Broncos were filthy about losing him.

Well i hope he puts lots of pressure on Liddle as not really convinced about him with his win rate.
Although he might finally get a few games this season.

I'm not convinced about Simpkin and his win rate, which is zero.

Are you more excited by Jacob Liddle's, which is 36%?

I am much more excited over jake's 36% than Simpkin and his 0% - yes.

Obviously people think Liddle should have won more games on his own to increase his percentage. It is a team sport, other players need to put in as well and if they did, maybe that also may lift Jake's percentage.

So you're not convinced about Simpkin because his win rate is zero, but you also don't care about Liddle's win rate being so poor because it's a team sport?

No Avo, I am just tired of people thinking this kid Simpkin is better than Liddle, the answer to all our problems, the next big thing, going to play SOO etc. etc. when he has not even laced up a boot in the NRL.

Now he may well be all those things but at the moment all he has is potential, which usually is a dirty word on this Forum - most people have skipped the potential part and are just saying he is it.

Well, 36% is not great for Jake, but he did not play all those teams by himself. Until Simpkin plays as many games, that is 43 to this point I will not be convinced that he is any better than Liddle who I rate as better than a good player.

Don't think that is an unreasonable thing to expect.

Do you need 43 games to judge if Grant is better than Liddle? I could tell within 10 minutes of a trial game for the Storm.

Good for you Sunnyboy - I'm not talking about Grant, in fact I didn't even mention his name.

No I’m just applying your brilliant logic that you need to wait until Simpkin has played 43 games before you determine if he’s better than Liddle.

@TigerWest said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1276615) said:
I think if Packer is injury free, then he may have a good year for us, it is contract year, but the $’s he got from us via Ivan are not ever going to happen again.

Nope. How many chances can a bloke who consistently runs for under 50 metres a game get?

Back