Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I will put this in here, it's a decent read.

Wests Tigers NRL news: Api Koroisau reflects on 'difficult' Panthers transition amid wooden spoon battle​

Liam O'Loughlin
7 hours ago•4 min read
(Getty Images)
Api Koroisau has admitted his transition from back-to-back premierships to a wooden spoon was harder than he anticipated, with the Wests Tigers captain staring down the barrel of a long-term rebuild.
The 30-year-old left Penrith in the off-season and moved to Concord on a two-year deal, before further extending his stay in the middle of his first campaign in black and gold.
1 second of 43 minutes, 51 secondsVolume 0%

Koroisau has been among the club's best performers, but with just three wins from 20 games, the Tigers are now on the verge of a second-straight 17th-placed finish.
Despite signing the likes of Isaiah Papali'i and John Bateman, as well as adding a new coaching duo of Tim Sheens and Benji Marshall, Wests have struggled for any level of consistent performance during the 2023 season.
MORE: Broncos coach Kevin Walters confident of long-term NRL success

Tigers captain Api Koroisau reflects on Panthers transition​

Speaking to the media prior to the side's Round 24 clash with the Warriors, the classy hooker was honest about the challenges he faced moving from the Panthers to the Tigers.
“It took quite a bit out of me to start," he said.
"I sort of came to realise that I’m not at the same place that I was. There’s a lot that needs to be done in this place and I’m taking that challenge head-on.
"I’ve sort of shifted my mentality to more growth around the place, rather than try to sustain a high-level and high-performance thing... it’s been good, but it’s taken a bit to get used to as well.
“The challenge was there, I knew it was when it was presented to me. I didn’t think it was going to be this difficult I guess, to sort of get up there and knowing the position that we’re in.
"I’ve learned so much this year and I’m still learning to this day and I’m really looking forward to the challenge of rebuilding this club."

Will the Wests Tigers make the NRL finals in 2024?​

Amid the lacklustre form on the field, Tigers fans have continued to clamour for success, with their last finals berth coming in 2011 and no sign of improvement on the horizon.
When quizzed on whether or not the current squad can develop into a top-eight side, Koroisau made no promises and believes there is a long way to go before the Tigers compete for a premiership.
“To be honest, I haven’t even though that far ahead – a lot of it has been getting us week-to-week and how we need to improve on the field," the skipper said.
"There’s little things in our game, like our discipline, that we haven’t really focused on enough. At the end of the day, it’s an inexperience thing and it’s just something that we’re gonna have to fix over the coming years.
“I wouldn’t say it was easy at Penrith, but there was a lot of elite players there who were taking a lot of the load and sharing it between themselves - whereas here, we have such a young and inexperienced team.
"Coming together as a team and learning how to play together is something, and learning how to win is another thing.
"It’s all a work in progess, but I see steps forward for sure."
There have been some positives during the year, with the club debuting the likes of Jahream Bula and Tallyn Da Silva, but there are still major changes necessary for the Tigers to compete with the NRL's heavyweights in 2024.

Api Koroisau 2023 NRL stats​

Games17
Tries5
Try Assists7
Linebreak Assists6
Offloads10
Avg. Run Metres57
Avg. Tackles34
Tackle Efficiency87%
I’d just like to see us cease giving away stupid penalties and making silly basic errors. That would be a huge start imo.

Well they did let Latu go…. no one saw that coming.

I agree though they rate Olakuatu highly over there and don’t see them letting him go. However, I’d take Jason Saab off them and he’s also very close to Fulton as he brought him over and has connections with some fellow Tigers boys. We need a winger and one with his athleticism and speed would be welcomed.

Manly need to release some players soon - their cap is a mess and I don’t see McDonnell helping much over there next to Seibold. Very ordinary management and they have Isaac Moses having large levels of control over there. They’re doomed. They’d very much let Saab go before Olakuatu.

Would be cheeky and offer Nofa on reduce rates to grab Saab off them.

Reactions: BZN
Sezar and Sullivan... along with the Fainu brothers.

All a step in the right direction.
Really has some mindfulness to it in regards to strengthening the roster.

Huamole would be massive.

We need to be really planning to strengthen the backs also.
Our backline is the worst in the comp, Bula and Toops aside.

Not that simple, contracts need to be lodged with NRL before an official announcement, even more so if a player is still under contract for the following season, current club needs to give an official release before new contract can be lodged.

The media reporting it doesn't mean it's been signed off by the NRL yet.
Yeah I get they might take time to get through all the right channels. However, it regularly seems like other clubs have the report hit the media and the signing is official within 24 hours.

I guess with us being burnt many times in the past, I'd like to see things move a bit faster and to have that confirmation.

The Naden signing comes to mind when I think of us moving fast! All done in a few hours!

And as Api indicates, time is the only solution, and we're already headed upwards and onwards.

Yeh mate, its critical they've selected the right crop of juniors to rely on. Still a long way to go.

He's comments are evidence recruitment was way off this year and we will have a new 6 and 7 next year

Yeah I get they might take time to get through all the right channels. However, it regularly seems like other clubs have the report hit the media and the signing is official within 24 hours.

I guess with us being burnt many times in the past, I'd like to see things move a bit faster and to have that confirmation.

The Naden signing comes to mind when I think of us moving fast! All done in a few hours!

Bad deals move fast

I'd imagine the hold off is that most of the club is in NZ so I'm guessing they will hold off announcements till people are back in Aus to talk about it

Don't like our chances with anasta as the player manager.
Anasta actually bristled at the report that manager Mario Tartak (via Carayannis) was complaining his young players were not receiving adequate teaching to develop their games.

Anasta stated in no uncertain terms that he knew Benji & Sheens well - and that players would definitely be learning a lot!

There are rugby league people - and there are random spectators who never get it!

Anasta actually bristled at the report that manager Mario Tartak (via Carayannis) was complaining his young players were not receiving adequate teaching to develop their games.

Anasta stated in no uncertain terms that he knew Benji & Sheens well - and that players would definitely be learning a lot!

There are rugby league people - and there are random spectators who never get it!

So what about he when he sticks the boot into the club every chance he gets?

Back