Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

It is possible to have idiots fighting your argument. And that lot are idiots with no class. The guy in front of the banner looks stoned off his gord.

Yeah I agree it makes our club look very average, but freedom of speech is essential.

As the CEO, Justin's first job is to ensure that the club is winning. If we were winning, that banner would not exist.

He made a successful return from the injury. I think his $ value is likely the issue as he was rumoured to be on Noffa money.
Shame I didn’t mind him as he had a go and ran hard and straight , strange he is not listed at another club , he is to good to be missing out , Charlie on $ 350 k would be a good purchase

Shame I didn’t mind him as he had a go and ran hard and straight , strange he is not listed at another club , he is to good to be missing out , Charlie on $ 350 k would be a good purchase
Apart from his pace I haven’t seen anything warranting a deal. Good finisher but you need tackle busting ability to earn your keep in the NRL. Also in the injury prone category.

Last edited:
Didn’t put enough games in at the end of the year imo to demand that sort of dough.
Not his fault I know but timing is everything reguarding league contracts

I’ll try change the subject cause seems like this thread is turning into a general info thread.

Does anyone see Lachlan Galvin as a potential 13 in the future as a ball playing lock?

If both Fainu and Sullivan perform or even if we nab Luai he may struggle locking down a spot. He’s listed at 195cms at the age of 18. Probably still growing. That could add a different dimension to our attack with his playmaking abilities in the middle.

I haven’t watched him that closely, so anyone that might’ve what are your thoughts?
How fast is he. He could be a really good centre if he's got some speed with his size

Wests Tigers coach Benji Marshall has flown to Melbourne for a meeting with Storm star Justin Olam in a sign that he is seriously weighing up a move for the Papua New Guinea international.
Sport Confidential revealed last month that the Storm and Tigers had discussed a swap deal involving Olam and Tigers forward Shawn Blore.

It is understood Marshall has now held face-to-face talks with Olam as the parties mull over a move that would add starch to the Tigers backline and give Olam a chance to re-establish himself as NRL star.

Benji Marshall has flown to Melbourne for a meeting with Storm star Justin Olam. Picture: Getty Images

Benji Marshall has flown to Melbourne for a meeting with Storm star Justin Olam. Picture: Getty Images

Olam was out of favour in the latter stages of the year in Melbourne, although he was brought back for their finals run. Regardless, the Storm have given him permission to explore the market as they set their sights on strengthening the middle of the field.

Blore went up for grabs on November 1 when he entered the final year of his deal and it is believed he has his heart set on a move to Melbourne. He is due back at training next week and it appears highly unlikely any swap deal will be finalised before then, if at all.

Marshall is also mulling over a multimillion dollar move for Penrith superstar Jarome Luai – it is believed talks have been held but no formal offer has been made to the NSW five-eighth.

TIGERS HUNT OVER … FOR NOW

Wests Tigers’ interest in pursuing Michael Cheika has cooled after the Argentinian mentor indicated he wanted to remain in a head coaching position.

The Tigers were keen on talking to Cheika about becoming the club’s new head of football.

However, it is now understood that Cheika is lukewarm on the idea of transitioning into an off-field role.

Regardless, do not expect the Tigers to make a move on anyone in the short-term. They talked about the head of football position at a board meeting on Monday night but have delayed any potential appointment as they wait for the outcome of an external review into the club’s governance.

The club’s 2005 premiership winner and former captain Mark O’Neill remains linked to the role. Meanwhile, Monday night’s board meeting went off without a hitch.

Aidan Sezer felt like he had more in the tank when he left the NRL at the end of 2019.
Losing the most controversial grand final in recent history with Canberra just added to the sting of it all.

The now infamous six-again call ringing in his ears, Sezer boarded a plane for England where he drowned out the noise over four years with Huddersfield and then Leeds.

Now, the ex-Raiders and Titans half is preparing for an NRL comeback with the Wests Tigers feeling like he still has a point to prove.

“Going over for the first couple of years was good for me, I feel like it rejuvenated me a bit after eight years in the NRL,” the 32-year-old says as he readies to start pre-season training at Concord next week.

Aidan Sezer is back in the NRL at the Wests Tigers, and has unfinished business in Australia. Picture: Wests Tigers

Aidan Sezer is back in the NRL at the Wests Tigers, and has unfinished business in Australia. Picture: Wests Tigers
“When you lose one, it burns you. I’ve never watched the game back again.

“At first I was questioning moving over (to England), my last game being the NRL grand final at a decent age still, I was 28 or so, I still felt like I was in my prime.

“It felt like unfinished business.

“But coming back now, being a Sydney boy and to be among family and friends, having the opportunity to be at the Tigers, everything added up.

“Hopefully I can contribute to the club and we can have a good year.

“To get the chance to come home, close to home, I’m super grateful to Benji and the club for. I’ll do everything I can to contribute.”

The last time he was in the NRL, Sezer and the Raiders had their hearts broken in the 2019 grand final. Picture: Jonathan Ng

The last time he was in the NRL, Sezer and the Raiders had their hearts broken in the 2019 grand final. Picture: Jonathan Ng
HOMECOMING

Sezer wanted the chance to come back to Australia for a while now.

So when Tigers legend and new coach Benji Marshall came knocking with an offer and a chance to play and live in Sydney, it was a no-brainer.

“I’m super motivated, I’ve been super motivated to come back for a couple of years and that’s being completely transparent and honest. I’ve been watching the NRL and just thinking, I want to get home,” he says.

“Being a boy from western Sydney, all I wanted to do was play in the NRL and to be able to do it for a while before I left for England is something I was grateful for, but after my stint in the UK I’m so keen to test myself again.

“I’ve watched (the NRL) closely. I’ve got friends in a few teams and kept track of them. The game has sped up a bit with the rules changes, but I’m trying to get myself in the best shape I can so I’m not caught off guard.”

Sezer grew up in Bankstown, but spent his early years at the Gold Coast Titans, before moving to Canberra. Picture: Jerad Williams

Sezer grew up in Bankstown, but spent his early years at the Gold Coast Titans, before moving to Canberra. Picture: Jerad Williams
Sezer grew up in Bankstown where his family still live, but spent four years at the Gold Coast and another four with the Raiders before going overseas.

It’s been his dream to live and work close to home, and he’s been going into the Tigers three days a week before officially starting his pre-season on Monday.

His contract with the Tigers is just for one season, but he’ll likely be given the reins as an experienced No.7 to help develop ex-Dragons half Jayden Sullivan and teenage prodigy Latu Fainu.

It’s part of a new era for the Tigers under Marshall as a rookie coach and without Luke Brooks as starting halfback heading into the season for the first time since 2014.

FRESH START

The time away did Sezer good.

He comes back to the NRL more grateful for the opportunity than he ever was before.

“I felt like I’ve grown as a person, definitely matured,” he says.

“Coming back I feel like I won’t take the NRL for granted, not that I ever did, but when you leave something you realise how good you had it or how good it is to be in an NRL set up.

Sezer believes his time at Leeds did him a world of good, as he returns to the NRL more experienced and grateful. Picture: Getty Images

Sezer believes his time at Leeds did him a world of good, as he returns to the NRL more experienced and grateful. Picture: Getty Images
“Not taking anything away from the Super League, but the game isn’t put on a pedestal over there like it is here. You realise how super this competition is.”

For this reason he knows how desperate Tigers fans are for success.

They finished 2023 with a second-straight wooden spoon and Sezer knows that pressure will be on his shoulders to help turn those results around.

More Coverage​

Sport Con: NRL clubs circle England rugby star
‘Fake happy’: Latrell opens up on year from hell
“Fans live and breathe rugby league and a lot of their life hinges on what we do on the weekend,” he says.

“We have a duty as professional rugby league players to look after the people who support us.

“I think every bit of success is derived from hard work and I’ll do everything I can to help turn things around.”

I doubt it. The team have come last 2 yrs in a row with zero significant signings and being a rookie coach off a back of a club review.

Benji has a free pass next season the season after is when he will be hit hard.

For Benji to be safe I think he needs 8 wins (double last year) in 2024. Must have Tigers playing finals in 2025 or the knives will be out.

Olam making tough carries and some heavy hits off his line in a tigers jersey would be pretty cool to see - he’d add a lot to our outside attack and is experienced in a winning culture.

Great potential signing if it happens.
And most importantly , just creates that extra sting of competition for spots ….

Tupou getting a bad wrap for no reason. He has
shifted from side to side wing to wing in 1sts
fullback, wing, centre in reserves. 2nd year back
to league, his numbers aren't bad, he's a power
runner, doesn't have a big personality just gets
on with the job. We can afford excuses 4 vets
who've been playing 10 years, Tupou doesn't
need any such concessions he's been good,
will only get better with some competent halves,
he gets us out of yardage fearlessly and has
shown a lot of application with his high balls
and running game. Don't want to hear about
defence we've been shit across the board tbh.
If he was on the market right now he'd be gone
U cld imagine what Bellyache cod do with him in a short time
This all but confirms Luai isn't coming. Hooper is always wrong. What I do find interesting though is people saying we have enough halves. Sullivan on 500K will get first crack. The other two guys (Large, Fainu) are huge talents but how many huge talents have turned out to be not up to scratch in first grade? Sezer is 33 next year so I doubt he plays on in 2025. If we did sign Luai, he gets one halves spot and the other halves spot goes to the player who works hardest. People acting like competition for halves positions is a bad thing. There's no way an untested and unproven combination of youngsters is the way forward. Which is why Sezer is there only for next year. Look at each halves combo in the NRL. Successful ones are ones with a veteran and a young talent. Foran has improved Titans so much. SJ at the Warriors with young Metcalf. Hynes with Moylan, Keary with Sam Walkerl.p..

Staff online

Back