Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

do we really want to be?

Lomax is kinda like Sullivan -- bad attitude and a bit lazy and soft.

I get the "upside" factor etc and "better than what we have" - but i like the Olams and Galvin and Api types who are no nonsense and sturdy even when things are not going great.

I just think for the money he would be expecting $700K + .... why would we do that?

Can you enlighten me as you seem to have the good oil.

thanks mate

Where does all this Lomax and attitude come from? People state it like its a known fact. I've heard the opposite about him.

I agree about Lomax but not at any, inflated price -> IMHO, anything above $400k for him is too much for what he offers as a centre.
We are not anymore forced to sign anyone just because they are 20% better from what we have ATM. So, we must consider players that would have the real, immediate impact e.g. Manu, Crichton et al or consider cheaper, young, fast, aggressive centres.

Re the LW, I prefer Koroibete to JAC ;)
I found this article admittedly from Foxsports. Allegedly Flanagan had a chat with Zac Lomax and told him based on his stats he is ranked 22 or 23 out of 34 centres in the comp. According to the article he is on $800k a season. If he did leave early, I cannot see the Dragons subsidising his contract. He's a good player but way past our budget imo.

Just came out that Turuvas manager informed penrith that he will be now talking to other clubs, seems penrith have stalled for too long. We need to get him as he can play anywhere in the back 5. Hopefully Api's connection gets him over the line.
I posted late last year that we approached him and were knocked back as Turuva had stated he only wanted to negotiate with Penrith at that moment of time and If negotiations stalled we’d be the first club contacted.

Seems like we’re at that stage…… still think it’s a ploy to get Penrith acting quicker but if he was to leave then we’ll be in box seat with not only the Api connection but Luai too.

Where does all this Lomax and attitude come from? People state it like its a known fact. I've heard the opposite about him.
Watch him.

He’s a bit of a pre-Madonna

Was hyped as a junior as next big thing

And doesn’t do the tough stuff.

Only started doing it since moved to the wing

do we really want to be?

Lomax is kinda like Sullivan -- bad attitude and a bit lazy and soft.

I get the "upside" factor etc and "better than what we have" - but i like the Olams and Galvin and Api types who are no nonsense and sturdy even when things are not going great.

I just think for the money he would be expecting $700K + .... why would we do that?

Can you enlighten me as you seem to have the good oil.

thanks mate
The notion he’s a bad trainer is the most made up lie in the league, I still don’t know where that came from.

He’s actually arguably the hardest trainer at the club from what I’ve been told and is the ultimate professional with his diet/training.

EDIT: I don’t know the reasons why we’re chasing him but we’re after quality in the backline and that’s certainly him.

Last edited:
I posted late last year that we approached him and were knocked back as Turuva had stated he only wanted to negotiate with Penrith at that moment of time and If negotiations stalled we’d be the first club contacted.

Seems like we’re at that stage…… still think it’s a ploy to get Penrith acting quicker but if he was to leave then we’ll be in box seat with not only the Api connection but Luai too.
Isn't Turuva related to Api Koroisau?

The Dragons really don't have much leverage when it comes to Lomax... Can't see how they could even think of asking for Nelson or Talagi. He's a winger on 800k that has publicly come out and said he wants to leave the club.

If St George play hard ball and no trade eventuates, they are stuck with a unhappy winger on 800k for a few seasons. That is not only horrible for their cap, but terrible for team morale and not something you want around the playing group when you're trying to rebuild. Look how bad it was for us with Noffa.

St George should just be happy to get the full contract of their books.

Lomax, Fifita & Turuva in

Doueihi, Sullivan, Toa, Simpkin, Kepaoa & Tumeth out

1. Bula
2. Staines/Naden
3. Lomax
4. Olam
5. Turuva
6. Galvin
7. Luai
8. Utoiukamanu
9. Korosaui
10. Klemmer
11. Fifita
12. Bateman
13. Papali'i
14. L Fainu
15. S Fainu
16. Pole
17. Twal

18th options of Sezer, Seyfarth, Da Silva, Matamua plus more...

The notion he’s a bad trainer is the most made up lie in the league, I still don’t know where that came from.

He’s actually arguably the hardest trainer at the club from what I’ve been told and is the ultimate professional with his diet/training.

EDIT: I don’t know the reasons why we’re chasing him but we’re after quality in the backline and that’s certainly him.
Yep, 2 of the players I've heard the highest praise form when it comes to professionalism with training / diet are Best & Lomax.

I believe Lomaxs ego / arrogance when it comes to that fact is actually what puts him on the outers with the St George playing group. I believe he's one of the only players that showed up to all those events the rest of the squad didn't bother attending in past seasons too.

He is 100% effort and commitment and is upset because he doesn't feel that commitment being given back to him by the club

Lomax, Fifita & Turuva in

Doueihi, Sullivan, Toa, Simpkin, Kepaoa & Tumeth out

1. Bula
2. Staines/Naden
3. Lomax
4. Olam
5. Turuva
6. Galvin
7. Luai
8. Utoiukamanu
9. Korosaui
10. Klemmer
11. Fifita
12. Bateman
13. Papali'i
14. L Fainu
15. S Fainu
16. Pole
17. Twal

18th options of Sezer, Seyfarth, Da Silva, Matamua plus more...
And then I woke up...

Yep, 2 of the players I've heard the highest praise form when it comes to professionalism with training / diet are Best & Lomax.

I believe Lomaxs ego / arrogance when it comes to that fact is actually what puts him on the outers with the St George playing group. I believe he's one of the only players that showed up to all those events the rest of the squad didn't bother attending in past seasons too.

He is 100% effort and commitment and is upset because he doesn't feel that commitment being given back to him by the club
Well said and 100% agree.

I would suggest Lomax is a good player, a possible SOO player. But we are in the early days of our new centre combination of Olam and Faataape. I would like to give them the opportunity to form a combination before potentially paying out $800k In addition, we have Makasini, Galvin, Pole and co so we need to keep our powder dry. Paying overs may compromise our development programme.

I would suggest Lomax is a good player, a possible SOO player. But we are in the early days of our new centre combination of Olam and Faataape. I would like to give them the opportunity to form a combination before potentially paying out $800k In addition, we have Makasini, Galvin, Pole and co so we need to keep our powder dry. Paying overs may compromise our development programme.
The problem in the NRL right now is there are so few quality players now that you have no time to make those kind of choices.

Lomax is only 1 year older than Faataape and has showed way more. To be honest Faataape is just not what the balance of our backline needs. We need players with size and Olam already fills the nugget in the backline role. Lomax brings a height / flair combination that we desperately need on that right side.

Also, the 800k figure is off the mark. The salary will be $700k.

The problem in the NRL right now is there are so few quality players now that you have no time to make those kind of choices.

Lomax is only 1 year older than Faataape and has showed way more. To be honest Faataape is just not what the balance of our backline needs. We need players with size and Olam already fills the nugget in the backline role. Lomax brings a height / flair combination that we desperately need on that right side.

Also, the 800k figure is off the mark. The salary will be $700k.
That is a good reply. I like Lomax and it may be that he ends up at WTs. If so, I won't be disappointed.

Also I don't know why so many think we are strapped for cash in our cap. It was said multiple times last year how much space we have left and we have added nothing.

We didn't spend all our money on Luai, the club was looking to sign Moses to a contract of the same value and re-sign Brooks + Doueihi. We spent less on all of our halves than we were going to and arguably have ended up with better value.

We didn't spend all our money on Olam either, the club released Nofa for pretty much the exact same value. We did upgrade Bula though.

All those moves were being made while also entertaining the thought of Addin Fonua Blake at 800k. However, we decided then to focus on our junior forwards instead. most clubs operate on a % of cap space spent per position. i.e., 30% on your spine, 40% on forwards, 30% on backs.

So on that logic id guess that AFB would of tipped the scale in the direction of too many high paid forwards, so the club backed off in case anything else of value popped up in the backs. (Us constantly being linked with different quality outside backs also shows to me that we are indeed looking to invest in at least 1 more quality outside back). Richardson is also frequently talking about moving more players on this year and he wouldn't do that if he didn't have ideas of who he wanted in to replace them.

That is a good reply. I like Lomax and it may be that he ends up at WTs. If so, I won't be disappointed.
The best part is that he loves the Tigers and I believe it is another case of Benji being one of his favourites growing up. He isn't going to come here to shirk his responsibilities and make a quick buck. He already has the contract and as everyone can see he still isn't content, this isn't about money for him at all.. he has a point to prove.

I agree, my first thought was this was just to get Penrith to hurry up. However, the more I think about it the more I can see him just feeling slighted and genuinely considering his options. Taylan May got a deal before he did and has been out for a year and been nothing but bad press.

Turuva has come out repeatedly saying he loves Penrith and wants to stay yet is the last one they are dealing with and they are maxing out at 350k a season which I believe both Tago and May are getting more than.

Back