Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Klemmer signed a 3 year deal and is in his second. If he comes next year, playing off the bench for a year as understudy won't be a big deal. Stef may leave also.

I doubt Tigers exercise their end of the mutual option with Klemmer for a 4th year, so either way, we'll need at least one starting prop for 2026 season.
A mutual option can be activated by either the club or the player. Does not have to be both, Klemmer could activate his option for 4th year and the club would be powerless to stop him.

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
Andrew Voss said this morning Penrith should target Lachlan Galvin! After media keeps on pushing Stefano heading over there yesterday. Relentless. They don't want us to have nice things
Panthers probably looking to combine the Cleary brothers over the next few seasons in the halves.

Trey Mooney would be a brilliant addition, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. the Dogs are in dire need of a starting front rower that can play long minutes and they will be front of the queue. I'd say he's short odds to end up there.

Trey Mooney would be a brilliant addition, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. the Dogs are in dire need of a starting front rower that can play long minutes and they will be front of the queue. I'd say he's short odds to end up there.
I don't think the dogs are going to be in a position to be doling out too many more big contracts for a while.

They still need a halfback and have Fox, Burton, Kikau, Crichton, Mahoney all on decent money, with upgrades on the likes of Preston and Kiraz in recent times, alongside likely mid-tier contracts of players like Curran, Mann, Oloapu, Salmon, Taaffe and Tracey.

I doubt they'll have another 750-900k for a prop.

But I may be wrong.

**EDIT**

I just realised this post was about Mooney and not Stefano.

I'm a peanut. Sorry all.

Last edited:
I don't think the dogs are going to be in a position to be doling out too many more big contracts for a while.

They still need a halfback and have Fox, Burton, Kikau, Crichton, Mahoney all on decent money, with upgrades on the likes of Preston and Kiraz in recent times, alongside likely mid-tier contracts of players like Curran, Mann, Oloapu, Salmon, Taaffe and Tracey.

But I may be wrong.
$450,000 + a pub

But I may be wrong.
I don't think Trey Mooney will get 800k a season!

Trey Mooney would be a huge get if it's true we are after him. He'd be an instant upgrade on Seyfarth on the bench & then would contend to replace Klemmer as a starter when his contract runs out.

But I may be wrong.
No one is going to sign Mooney on anything over $400k & it’s more likely to be even lower

A mutual option can be activated by either the club or the player. Does not have to be both, Klemmer could activate his option for 4th year and the club would be powerless to stop him.
I don't think that's quite right Frodo. Otherwise you would call it a player option or club option. A mutual option would indicate bot parties need to agree.

From the NRL website:

Player option (PO): Player has the option to activate additional year(s)
Club option (CO): Club has the option to activate additional year(s)
Mutual option (MO): Both parties discuss the option to activate additional year(s)

Schiller has strong family ties in the Hunter region. It was only every a choice between staying put or going to the Knights.
With Schiller going to Newcastle apparently to play centre, I would love us to make a play for Dane Gagai on a 2 year deal. Gagai & Olam as our centres mentoring Makasini, Luke Laulilii, Saukuru, Feledy as our next gen coming through. Yes he's getting on but he plays more like a 30yo than a 33yo. Though Roosters are keen so he'd probably go for the sambrero.

I don't think that's quite right Frodo. Otherwise you would call it a player option or club option. A mutual option would indicate bot parties need to agree.

From the NRL website:

Player option (PO): Player has the option to activate additional year(s)
Club option (CO): Club has the option to activate additional year(s)
Mutual option (MO): Both parties discuss the option to activate additional year(s)
Most mutual options allow either party to take it up but at different price points - for example if club takes it up they pay 200k, if player takes it up but club doesent then it's 150k

For the life of me, I don't understand how many times We see players like Zac Lomax do what he does, totally destroy us pretty much on his own.
Yet we new he was up for sale and we could not even make the effort to make him an offer.
And Parramatta get him for a supposed 4 years for $200,000 a year less than he was getting at St George,

Hence I give up.

We desperately need a game breaker like Zac,
But when one is up for grabs we don't even try.

So we must be out of money,
If we can't even try.
3 reasons why I think we didn’t try for him (if we didn’t)

1. The rumours of him going around now I don’t know if they are true or not but it could’ve been a factor.

2. His salary would’ve been a concern. If we paid him what Eels offered we’d be paying him more than Olam is currently getting. Would’ve taken a chunk out of the cap.

3. Personally believe this is why we didn’t, signing him would have resulted losing some of our juniors. He would’ve blocked their path and the club is focusing on development moving forward.

Stef’s contract clause is an interesting one? He signs on with a club heading for a spoon and has a get out clause pending the clubs success. My guess is someone tried too hard to get his signature 😂
and he called them out on it.

Now this is disappointing. We should have been offering him 400k to join us.

Some clubs just have the right idea with recruitment. Snap good players as quickly as they can. We've been lamenting our pathetic outside backs and yet whenever a decent one is available we're nowhere to be seen. We may have made him an offer and been rejected, but geez it's frustrating when we repeatedly sign small and slow players while other clubs sign the big strong fast types. And we wonder why we lose nearly all of our matches...

He was an absolutely perfect fit for us. And we still missed out. Newie have now snapped up Thomas Jenkins and Schiller, while we're messing around with Faatape and Lobb.
As good as Schiller is and would’ve loved to had him, signing him blocks other kids coming through the development system. Richo is keen on being a development club now so unless it was a position that we are sorely lacking through the juniors, or an older player to fill the void till the young ones are ready, I don’t see us making many external signings moving forward.

3 reasons why I think we didn’t try for him (if we didn’t)

1. The rumours of him going around now I don’t know if they are true or not but it could’ve been a factor.

2. His salary would’ve been a concern. If we paid him what Eels offered we’d be paying him more than Olam is currently getting. Would’ve taken a chunk out of the cap.

3. Personally believe this is why we didn’t, signing him would have resulted losing some of our juniors. He would’ve blocked their path and the club is focusing on development moving forward.
It’s been reported the Eels got him for $650k per season, surely he would have been worth $700-$750k per season to us ?
By not having a red hot crack at him it’s basically saying we are happy with our right centre options of Naden and To’a. They can both good players when switched on, inconsistency is their problem.
We do not have any emerging genuine right centres as Faatape, Feledy, Saukuru and Makasini are all predominantly left centres. Sure one of them can hopefully move to the right and excel, but it’s not as as easy to change as some may think.
You could argue Zac Lomax could have been a better fullback option than Bula.

Last edited:
Reactions: BZN

Latest posts

Members online

Back