Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

We don't actually know Richo 'has been resting on his shovel' lathami.
As Richo said in one of his interviews 'don't believe anything unless it comes from him or the club'.
So, the fact we haven't heard anything doesn't mean we haven't been trying to recruit someone or are still in talks with someone.
Were all reacting to nothing more than rumors.
Yep, it's just Caryannis Carry-on! Beware of Greeks bearing Grift.

I hope you are right.
The only logical reason why we didn’t at least attempt to sign Zac Lomax has to be due to Salary Cap constraints, otherwise why are we doing nothing about strengthening up our weak backline when a big, strong, fast and skilful player who is also one of the best goal kickers in the competition becomes available?
Not to mention he’s previously mentioned he would be interested in playing for Wets Tigers the team he followed growing up.
It is a bit odd that he reportedly signed for less to play with the Eels and leave an outstanding coastal location. $800k a year and the coast for Parramatta?

It’s in the name…Mutual.
They BOTH have to agree. If one party says no, the deal is off.

It is in the name, But maybe you're looking at the wrong part.
Option...
Might mean the BOTH have the OPTION

Could be wrong,
But I got the info from a recruiter (Now in Player Management) - Twice
(Just To Confirm)
He may have it wrong also?
I wouldn't have thought so, He's been around a while...
And as old mate pointed out, The Mutual Option is often for different amounts.

All I've read here is someones interpretation of the wording,
Which I've pointed out above can be swayed any way you want to interpret it....
Nothing I've read here can back it up with anything more solid...
For what it's worth.

**Edit**
The below snippet taken from the SMH regarding Twal and Bulas contracts also seemingly stipulates 'Either' Party can take up the Mutual Option.

"The club instead agreed to insert a mutual option for 2027. If Bula takes up the option he is guaranteed $800,000 in 2027, but if the club takes up the option it will be for $900,000. The deal, which has been significantly upgraded over the next two years, is worth about $2.7 million to $2.8 million over four years"

Last edited:
Reactions: 851
As good as Schiller is and would’ve loved to had him, signing him blocks other kids coming through the development system. Richo is keen on being a development club now so unless it was a position that we are sorely lacking through the juniors, or an older player to fill the void till the young ones are ready, I don’t see us making many external signings moving forward.
Wow, that's just crazy talk. We have the weakest roster in the NRL and need quality ASAP.
And yes wing and centre is a position we are sorely lacking in. We have the worst wingers and centres in the comp.
There's is absolutely no doubt we will recruit from outside, especially in the outside backs and second row where we have very few prospects and they're still a way away from NRL standard.

Opposite. If he plays 2 origins he's locked into his deal. Madge won't pick him to spite us
Wrong on both counts.
If he plays one origin game this year then his contract for 2025 is locked in.

And Madge will pick the best and most in form players available to him. Stefano isn't the best prop in the game at the moment, of course, but he's been to there with the best this season so he's thereabouts

Reactions: 851
Wrong on both counts.
If he plays one origin game this year then his contract for 2025 is locked in.

And Madge will pick the best and most in form players available to him. Stefano isn't the best prop in the game at the moment, of course, but he's been to there with the best this season so he's thereabouts
Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 2.50.50 pm.png

He's already started publicly he doesn't care about the clause, his agent instated it, and he wants to stay.
Question is, was that true or BS
If we don’t start winning at least 50% of our games fast, he will get sick of ripping & tearing for no result and will highly likely depart.
It’s that simple.
Like you BB I’m in disbelief we are doing nothing about strengthening our roster, while all the worthwhile talent are signing elsewhere.
Meanwhile we are in a struggle to hold onto arguably our best forward and best young up and coming prospect.

So absolutely everyone got it wrong when the clause was first discovered/announced? I don't buy it. Nor do I buy that the club would insert a clause stating if he played half of all the origin games over the next two years he'd be locked in, considering how far from origin he still was when he first signed.

I remember when the Clause first come out the perception was that if he played more Origin he was free to leave... This year it seems to have reversed?
Meh...

I remember when the Clause first come out the perception was that if he played more Origin he was free to leave... This year it seems to have reversed?
Meh...
To be honest I remember it first stated that his extra year of contract would trigger if he plays 2 State of Origin games or if Wests Tigers make the top 8.
I assume it’s more or less saying if he can achieve his goals while playing for Wests Tigers he is happy to stay, but if his goals are effected by Wests Tigers poor on field performance he’d be looking head elsewhere.

Look. Stef is good, but he ain't great.

That said, I see a very common pattern with the WT.
Good forwards and a solid front row, we win.

A single good forward and otherwise average pack, we loose.

Ill add: pissweak backline. If we can't defend on the backline then we loose. i.e. Mbye/Nofo/2023 squad.

This year, we started with Bateman, Klemmer and Stefano.
Last year, we only got Bateman half way through and we still had decent front row output.

Seal our gaps, make the other team work for their tries and our attack will click.

The media have nothing else to whip up about us so they create this old chestnut. It’s all hypothetical beat up crap from the media.

Let’s be real - if the Panthers offer 700k + for Stefano he would become the highest external recruit the Panthers have made in the last 5yrs & would make him top 5 salary wise at the club. He would be on the hook to be a game changer, they won’t pay that amount for potential.

Most of their purchases have been budget pickups and they focus on rewarding players they develop.

If anything the Roosters or Storm would be a bigger threat if he went to market - which he hasn’t & based on Richo’s comments hasn’t asked either.

Latest posts

Back