Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

A few times on here I have seen critcism of Toa based on his defence and missing tackles. The problem is the facts don't back that up. He had an effective tackle % of 84% last year - Much better then Olam or Naden (last yr or this yr) also better then the likes of Bradman Best and Kotoni Staggs. Think people go off personal opinions that just arent real a lot of the time here
When Olam misses a tackle he cannonballs into next week and needs a parachute to stop.

Lobb can finish but he lacks speed, is inconsistent in regards to his yardage carries. to his credit he's cleaned up his defence while at WT. this year's pretty crucial to his development. we need him carrying for 150m+ in Cup, but he's currently averaging 79m a game. that's a massive concern.
I imagine that many halves even giving the option of kicking to the big guy or the small guy they'd focus on the smaller player where they see the advantage.

If kicks don't cone his way in defence he needs to go looking for the ball a lot more

Not concerned that he looks really skinny these days? And not in a good way like the rangy Storm outside backs.
I have noticed he seems a bit leaner... But I dunno about "good skinny Melbourne style" those guys are units in their own right Coates and warbrick.

I feel Toa is still developing and wether he makes it or not I'm not sure but my money would be on him being another player with a handful of nrl games to his credit then drifts off somewhere either some regional comp or esl... Our reggies teams full of these blokes.
Naden is a first grader already imo,. If he really wants it- has the hunger and desire. He needs to listen to those that know what they're talking about and that's probably everyone he comes in contact with because I think he's a bit dense. Wether benji can instill that killer instinct into him I think there's a good first grader there

Last edited:
Looks like it's official, Sunia Turuva will be a Tiger in 25. With it being announced, that would indicate that the 10 day cooling off period has been and gone, and no one knew a thing until a couple of days out. Richo has really plugged the leaks, and his re-signing for 4 years is the best thing that could happen to this club moving forward.
There's a waver the current club can rescind if they wish... Richo confirmed this was the case here with Turuva

Iā€™ve got a weird one here but I was just going through some of our backs and a little devil on my shoulder told me something.

How would Starford Toa fair as a winger. Now before we grab the pitchforks letā€™s have a little looksie. Now in no way am I saying that Toa and Toā€™o (yes Brian) are on the same stratosphere but I do believe Toa could have a similar impact.

They have pretty similar builds with Toa being a couple centimetres shorter but negligible in weight. They have a similar run style in a strong fend and tough carries, it would also eliminate the amount of defensive pressure he is under as he does tend to miss tackles and have lapses in defence.

All you have to do is go back to the Knights 2020 season on the wing and he was outstanding, now granted he had KP feeding him good ball but he was still great regardless.

Tough carries out of our end is what we need and suffer greatly in. I mean Tupou is the only one with a good carry but he has an error in him and he is leaving. We all know Toa has potential, all you have to do is look back at the cowboys game. Itā€™s just like every other back we have, he fails to find consistency.

Now Iā€™m not expecting him to play like that every week but I still believe he has a place in our backline hopefully. Thoughts?
Thats is where he ends up mate. Has X factor and ability.

Not one to throw the towel in on.

I have noticed he seems a bit leaner... But I dunno about "good skinny Melbourne style" those guys are units in their own right Coates and warbrick.

I feel Toa is still developing and wether he makes it or not I'm not sure but my money would be on him being another player with a handful of nrl games to his credit then drifts off somewhere either some regional comp or esl... Our reggies teams full of these blokes.
Naden is a first grader already imo,. If he really wants it- has the hunger and desire. He needs to listen to those that know what they're talking about and that's probably everyone he comes in contact with because I think he's a bit dense. Wether benji can instill that killer instinct into him I think there's a good first grader there
What ? Naden is 28 and has played 68 NRL games, Toa us 23 and has played 61 nrl games. Your comment makes no sense at all.

1: extension for Stefano
2: sign Trey Mooney from Canberra (off contract) as part of our middles rotation. Important with Klemmer only 1-2 years left in him.
3: strong, experienced, metre-eating, good finishing, reasonably fast & agile winger (likely a Cotric or Valemei given who may be available)
I like your thinking. Big yes to Trey Mooney and Valemei. Tepid no to Cotric. I think heā€™s done.

I like your thinking. Big yes to Trey Mooney and Valemei. Tepid no to Cotric. I think heā€™s done.
I've been thinking a lot about this & I'd like us to push for these moves ...

- Sign Trey Mooney (future proof our middles with Klemmer nearing the end in a season or 2)

- Deal with Dolphins to get Jack Bostock to us (he is the left winger we are screaming for - tall, reasonably fast, good in air, finisher, gun). With Dolphins recruiting Junior Tupou, they have an over-supply of 1st 13 outside backs. They will need middles for the future up there so perhaps Qlder Chris Faagutu could be released for them. Both U19 stars but Bostock has progressed a bit faster.

That will be the only external recruitment we will need to do!

Latest posts

Back