Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

There is only 29 signed I believe … i dont know if you “have to “ have 30 or not … they could always upgrade someone I guess
Based on the commentt about Souths it appears you have to
"Souths have only signed 28 players to their top-30 roster. Two more players need to be signed by June." SMH today.

I don't think someone who can defend "relatively brave" is our answer.. also if you want to mold a half into a lock then surely you do it with one of our existing halves?

We need some mongrel, not someone who's "relatively brave"
It was an assessment relating to concerns about his size. That is to say, despite being physically more akin to a small forward or a larger half, he is a brave defender, as in, puts his body on the line and hits quite well. The 'relatively' qualifier was due to the fact that, in the middle, he would often be tackling players 10/15kg heavier than him.

It is extremely rare to have a physical lock who also possesses a strong running and passing threat. Generally, team must choose the archetype they want to go with. Skilful and deceptive or a big, strong presence in the middle.

Very, very few have it all.

I don't think mongrel is a necessary skillset in a successful modern-day lock, but, you're right, it wouldn't hurt.

In regards to one of our own, Latu to me shapes an an ideal small-forward lock. But many, myself included, have reservations about workload simply due to his age. If he was 23 or 24, he's a great fit. But at the moment, he remains a versatile and promising half/utility option.

But even he, due to his size, is somebody who I would describe as 'relatively brave' in the middle. I would say the same for the likes of Api.

So the description I used may not be as irrelevant as it may seem at first glance.

Anyway, I'm not married to the idea in the slightest, just an idea worth pondering in my opinion.

It was an assessment relating to concerns about his size. That is to say, despite being physically more akin to a small forward or a larger half, he is a brave defender, as in, puts his body on the line and hits quite well. The 'relatively' qualifier was due to the fact that, in the middle, he would often be tackling players 10/15kg heavier than him.

It is extremely rare to have a physical lock who also possesses a strong running and passing threat. Generally, team must choose the archetype they want to go with. Skilful and deceptive or a big, strong presence in the middle.

Very, very few have it all.

I don't think mongrel is a necessary skillset in a successful modern-day lock, but, you're right, it wouldn't hurt.

In regards to one of our own, Latu to me shapes an an ideal small-forward lock. But many, myself included, have reservations about workload simply due to his age. If he was 23 or 24, he's a great fit. But at the moment, he remains a versatile and promising half/utility option.

But even he, due to his size, is somebody who I would describe as 'relatively brave' in the middle. I would say the same for the likes of Api.

So the description I used may not be as irrelevant as it may seem at first glance.

Anyway, I'm not married to the idea in the slightest, just an idea worth pondering in my opinion.
I'd say the majority of the smaller locks in todays game have a fair bit of mongrel though. I agree, you probably don't need mongrel if you have the size of a Yeo, but the smaller Murrays, Radleys and Mcinnes' of the game all make up for it elsewhere.

Reactions: 851
I suggest he has …

Not much he can do if contracts to upgrade Juniors to Top 30 deals were signed before he arrived …
Plenty he can do.
He wanted to take on the recruitment/retention role so he should be evaluating who is a realistic chance of playing and positively contributing to our NRL roster for 2025 and offloading anyone who cannot achieve this.
It’s one thing to have your NRL team continually struggling to win a gane, but it’s near impossible to improve if you also have your NSW Cup Team struggling to win a game.
Nearly every other NRL teams have at least a few players in their Reserve Grade team consistently playing well and knocking the door down to play NRL.
We have none, if anyone it would be Josh Feledy who is predominantly a left centre and therefore is only really considered if Olam is out injured and maybe Matamua, but what position is he, he’s just another one to add to our list of players who really don’t have the leg speed required to be a good NRL quality 13.
Bateman probably does have the required leg speed to play 13 and likely the reason Benji is playing him there, but he needs to stop defending like he’s playing Touch Football once he gets fatigued.
I think Kelce68 has a reasonable argument in saying we may have to manufacture a 13 as slow forwards just don’t cut it playing 13 anymore.

Last edited:
just heard an ABC interview from the weekend where Richo said that there are no further signings to come for 2025 …

That’s gotta be a blow for a lot of you NSW Cup speculators in the thread ?
I spose there's two ways to look at it. one is that we're going to promote from within and utilise what we have, the other is that we may have signed an additional player but it's been kept under wraps. Richo said in that particular interview that he did the deal with Turuva's manager weeks ago, so who knows?

if we are going to promote from within I'd expect to see Mason upgraded to the 30 and possibly Nav Willett although he has gone missing in recent times. other guys like Zak Clarke or Lachie Broederlow might be in line for development deals given their form in Flegg, while Makasini, Godinet, Moors or Fui could all possibly be in line given their strong seasons in Matts.

I suggest he has …

Not much he can do if contracts to upgrade Juniors to Top 30 deals were signed before he arrived …
Those upgrades are already factored in to our to 30 for next season (and there are no others banding the door down) we still have a few spots left for next year, and one for this year. Given some players are surely likely to leave early that will open up more roster spots. We will most definitely be signing numerous players from outside the club

I spose there's two ways to look at it. one is that we're going to promote from within and utilise what we have, the other is that we may have signed an additional player but it's been kept under wraps. Richo said in that particular interview that he did the deal with Turuva's manager weeks ago, so who knows?

if we are going to promote from within I'd expect to see Mason upgraded to the 30 and possibly Nav Willett although he has gone missing in recent times. other guys like Zak Clarke or Lachie Broederlow might be in line for development deals given their form in Flegg, while Makasini, Godinet, Moors or Fui could all possibly be in line given their strong seasons in Matts.
Let’s hope Richo’s comments are from the Gus Goukd playbook of telling the media one thing and doing the opposite as it’s great to promote from within, but we simply do not have a roster capable of climbing the ladder without recruiting at least a few more external players that can improve our NRL line up.

Based on the commentt about Souths it appears you have to
"Souths have only signed 28 players to their top-30 roster. Two more players need to be signed by June." SMH today.
You have to have 30 players by the deadline but you can upgrade from within to reach the 30.

Fair enough if that's your take BF and @Kaito .

I don't necessarily agree, I actually think he defends similar to Brooks; relatively brave.

The original comment was about size being the issue. I don't think people realise the size he is.

I will say that I haven't exactly examined him with a fine-tooth comb over the last few years though, just what I've observed in passing.
Yeah fair call, I was sorta referencing that although he may be the same size as Cam, I still think Cam is a little small for the role but he has size where it counts. But he’s gunna be one of those footballers that looks weathered, and about 20 years older than they are, and probably have head issues. The other thing is Illias has been a half his entire career and would he want to transition into the lock role? Even if he says yes now, it’s hard work that role, and he may not mentally be quite in it. It would be like going from the hole-digging supervisor role, to being back on the shovel digging the holes. You know you can do it, but it’s really hard work and is ya heart in it? And now being told what to do by some new upstart in your previous supervisor role that you were shite at. Takes a special breed that can handle it. Takes ticka and being able to look in the mirror and be honest.

6ft and 93kg is too small?

He's the exact same height and 1kg lighter than Cam Murray....
Murray is the exception, not the norm. Surely you realise that? Murray is a freak, but still gets smashed and has had numerous concussions. 6ft, 93kgs is too small for outside backs...

Let’s hope Richo’s comments are from the Gus Goukd playbook of telling the media one thing and doing the opposite as it’s great to promote from within, but we simply do not have a roster capable of climbing the ladder without recruiting at least a few more external players that can improve our NRL line up.
it really depends on how the kids currently in and around the top two grades develop, namely the Laulili'i's, Matamua, Miller, Da Silva, Faagutu, Mason, Sukkar and Willett. even Kepaoa as a backrower. all of them have shown promise at one point or another but need to develop thru the remainder of this year and 2025 preseason to become genuine depth options to supplement first grade.

it's not like we have a choice either, all of them are on full time contracts next year. if the majority of them can develop in the way we hope they will, there will be less of a need to go to market.

we do need a right winger though, that is for damn sure.

Murray is the exception, not the norm. Surely you realise that? Murray is a freak, but still gets smashed and has had numerous concussions. 6ft, 93kgs is too small for outside backs...
Not too small at all for a 13 or outside back providing they demonstrate good leg speed, run the ball and defend aggressively.
Olam is a good example as is Murray, Radley, Cotter, Hudson Young, Liam Martin, Matt Timoko just to name a few.
Yes Liam Martin has since built ip to play around the 100kg mark, but he was only 95kgs when he first started playing NRL and was making his mark.

Last edited:
I dont think we need to worry too much about Latu, my guess would be where ever Fulton ends up its only a matter of time before he follows. Sam im not sure about he seems to be a Benji fav he's getting big minutes and Fulton seems to have the most love for Latu.
I may be wrong but if we try to shoehorn Latu into a lock similarly if we do the same to Galvin one or the other will be looking for the exits. Thats the way with this young talent their parents managers seem to spit the dummy about what where and why.

I dont think we need to worry too much about Latu, my guess would be where ever Fulton ends up its only a matter of time before he follows. Sam im not sure about he seems to be a Benji fav he's getting big minutes and Fulton seems to have the most love for Latu.
I may be wrong but if we try to shoehorn Latu into a lock similarly if we do the same to Galvin one or the other will be looking for the exits. Thats the way with this young talent their parents managers seem to spit the dummy about what where and why.
Latu will follow Fulton....

That'll do me!!

Murray is the exception, not the norm. Surely you realise that?

Well yes, in some ways, but in terms of size, he's not the only one in that small-forward lock archetype. I also didn't say that Murray types are the norm, just that it is an approach to the lock position that can work in the right middle structure. For example, size at lock may be argued to be a little less important in a middle-dominant side, where size around a smaller lock may help to compensate.

Roosters play Watson (177cm, 89kg) there (when no Radley, who himself is 182cm, 92kg)
Cowboys play Cotter (180cm, 95kg)
Dolphins play Max Plath (178cm, 87kg)
Sharks play McInnes (177cm, 91kg)

At least physically, Ilias fits into that group at (184cm, 93kg)

6ft, 93kgs is too small for outside backs...

Sorry mate, don't agree there. There might be a floor in terms of size, but far too many variables to have the floor that high in my opinion. Speed, evasiveness, lateral movement speed, finishing ability, vertical leap, distribution of bodyweight, ability to use bodyweight in contact, etc are all considerations in regards to backs outside of simply size.

Turuva is a perfect example, 181cm and 88kg, yet he is almost universally accepted as a gun outside back.

Last edited:
Plenty he can do.
He wanted to take on the recruitment/retention role so he should be evaluating who is a realistic chance of playing and positively contributing to our NRL roster for 2025 and offloading anyone who cannot achieve this.
It’s one thing to have your NRL team continually struggling to win a gane, but it’s near impossible to improve if you also have your NSW Cup Team struggling to win a game.
Nearly every other NRL teams have at least a few players in their Reserve Grade team consistently playing well and knocking the door down to play NRL.
We have none, if anyone it would be Josh Feledy who is predominantly a left centre and therefore is only really considered if Olam is out injured and maybe Matamua, but what position is he, he’s just another one to add to our list of players who really don’t have the leg speed required to be a good NRL quality 13.
Bateman probably does have the required leg speed to play 13 and likely the reason Benji is playing him there, but he needs to stop defending like he’s playing Touch Football once he gets fatigued.
I think Kelce68 has a reasonable argument in saying we may have to manufacture a 13 as slow forwards just don’t cut it playing 13 anymore.

You talk about ”offloading “ players all the time …

Its easier said then done … not everybody is dumb like Nofo and show up late for training …

Even that required like $350k to get him out the door …

it really depends on how the kids currently in and around the top two grades develop, namely the Laulili'i's, Matamua, Miller, Da Silva, Faagutu, Mason, Sukkar and Willett. even Kepaoa as a backrower. all of them have shown promise at one point or another but need to develop thru the remainder of this year and 2025 preseason to become genuine depth options to supplement first grade.

it's not like we have a choice either, all of them are on full time contracts next year. if the majority of them can develop in the way we hope they will, there will be less of a need to go to market.

we do need a right winger though, that is for damn sure.
Luke is looking extremely good in Cup already. Could be an early smoky next year to play at 19 years of age I reckon. Has surprised me with the speed of his development against men.

You have to have 30 players by the deadline but you can upgrade from within to reach the 30.

Gday … are you able to clarify how many players are under contract for 2025 including juniors being upgraded to the Top 30 at the end of this season? You seem the man here that tracks this the closest…

Luke is looking extremely good in Cup already. Could be an early smoky next year to play at 19 years of age I reckon. Has surprised me with the speed of his development against men.
yeah I think he'll likely shift onto the left wing next year outside Olam. the only issue with our backline for next year is height. never been a major issue for a side like Penrith, but some tall timber out on the right flank will assist. Willett showed plenty in the trials and thru SG, I hope his hiatus isn't too serious.

yeah I think he'll likely shift onto the left wing next year outside Olam. the only issue with our backline for next year is height. never been a major issue for a side like Penrith, but some tall timber out on the right flank will assist. Willett showed plenty in the trials and thru SG, I hope his hiatus isn't too serious.
Yeh, there's a number of options I guess. Willet and Naden (even Alaimalo if he works out) could be a tall timber approach.

Or, like you said, Luke and Tito could form almost a Panthers 2.0 wing setup, with Luke having mini-To'o vibes.

The good thing is that there are options available not only to see who's best, but also dependent on the style we want to play.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back