Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Good post @Kelce68

Yep some calls have to be made before the end of this season to clear out some list cloggers & players not providing the right attributes for us moving forward. It's a fine line that it's not too many so it disrupts players harmony in the squad.

The 3 players I would tap on the shoulder are Brent Naden, Bud Sullivan & Brandon Tumeth.

Then it's a big watch on what Stefano's plans are.

Going on needs right now for next season, I'd say Benji/Richo/Betsey are keeping a close eye on:

Experienced metre-eating winger
Experienced backrower utility
Experienced backup halfback (ideal profile to lead NSW Cup team & fill-in for Luai when required)
Experienced hooker utility (given Api & TDS only hookers in top 30 next season)
the big problem what club in their right mind is wanting to pick these three up... the only hope would be Super League for Naden and Sullivan, unfortunately for Tumeth the only option is too pay him out for next if option is taken up so we can get a roster spot, similar to that of the centre from Union last year. I also heard on one of the podcasts is we have very little money next year for recruitment

the big problem what club in their right mind is wanting to pick these three up... the only hope would be Super League for Naden and Sullivan, unfortunately for Tumeth the only option is too pay him out for next if option is taken up so we can get a roster spot, similar to that of the centre from Union last year. I also heard on one of the podcasts is we have very little money next year for recruitment
Yeah you're right.

Not sure Naden would want to uproot & go to UK with a young family. I'd be hoping maybe a Parramatta or Souths could be interested, possibly Roosters due to their outgoing outside backs.

Tumeth had interest from the Eels a couple of years ago so maybe some interest is still there (maybe not with a new coach incoming).

Gus has been saying all year that our young players will all be coming good next year, he said this time next year you just wait and see
Yep a lot of well respected people within the game have said that. A lot of people looked at Gus after he signed the utilities for Dogs this year but it's worked out great. Tracey, Taaffe among others are playing great footy. It takes a few years to develop identity. It's part of the process of being a successful team. It's not just about winning on the field, it's about winning off the field which then leads to better performances

Manly lose a few backs to injury and go out, sign Aaron Schoupp....

We never really try and address our issues.
Rolling out career failures like Naden and Kepoa every week is so painful.

I hope they're telling Naden he needs to find a new deal elsewhere.
The club needs to give youngsters a go. I give an example not too dissimilar in the EPL with Chelsea. Had a bad season in 22/23 under Potter/Tuchel. They went on the market to sign a Spanish player for a hundred million to act as a silver bullet, as well as a few German players who underperformed. They failed. Because they did not fit into the identity of the club. Chelsea realised they needed to utilise their juniors and now they've unearthed a superstar in Cole Palmer among many other talented youngsters leading them to a 6th place finish. Of course a club with the financial and historical superiority of Chelsea is different to the Tigers but we can take a leaf out of their book in regards to building culture and identity, which takes time. It is very difficult to fix the long mediocrity we have endured, but the only way to begin mending that is by building culture and identity, which helps forget all the bad times and creates a vital identity of causing upsets, proving critics wrong, and never giving up for the fans

The club needs to give youngsters a go. I give an example not too dissimilar in the EPL with Chelsea. Had a bad season in 22/23 under Potter/Tuchel. They went on the market to sign a Spanish player for a hundred million to act as a silver bullet, as well as a few German players who underperformed. They failed. Because they did not fit into the identity of the club. Chelsea realised they needed to utilise their juniors and now they've unearthed a superstar in Cole Palmer among many other talented youngsters leading them to a 6th place finish. Of course a club with the financial and historical superiority of Chelsea is different to the Tigers but we can take a leaf out of their book in regards to building culture and identity, which takes time. It is very difficult to fix the long mediocrity we have endured, but the only way to begin mending that is by building culture and identity, which helps forget all the bad times and creates a vital identity of causing upsets, proving critics wrong, and never giving up for the fans
Good example.

Unless you are a loaded club financially, you can't BUY a competition.

You have to develop your own winning culture, create your own systems & produce your own talent.

Penrith are a great close-to-home comparison because they did come from the bottom to becoming a dominant club through their juniors.

Yes, they added players from outside the organisation. But they became truly a great club once juniors like Cleary, Luai, Edwards, To'o etc were the hub of the team.

We are slowly bringing our guys through.

Bula. Galvin.

Guys like Da Silva are nearly there.

I would consider the likes of Utoikamanu, the Fainu's, Feledy as our juniors only because they still needed to be developed. They are/were not established stars.

Once the likes of Lualili'i x 2, Fa'agutu, Miller etc are starting to become part of the squad- we develop our own personality.

We just have to hope the potential becomes results.

Adding Luai, Turuva, Api, Papali'i, Bateman & Klemmer isn't ONLY about the success of now, but helping our next generation to take the reigns & run with it.

Yeah you're right.

Not sure Naden would want to uproot & go to UK with a young family. I'd be hoping maybe a Parramatta or Souths could be interested, possibly Roosters due to their outgoing outside backs.

Tumeth had interest from the Eels a couple of years ago so maybe some interest is still there (maybe not with a new coach incoming).
yup we can only hope B&W ..I was a supporter of Naden but he just is not that good and a bit of a dumb footballer

Retain Stefano has to be our priority. I know he’s a little bit inconsistent, but beasts like him with mobility and approaching the prime of their career are not easy to find.
Get rid of Bud and bring in Toby Sexton.
Not so much to do with Bud’s ability, more to do with our poor previous recruitment where we did not sign a natural halfback with a good level kicking game.
Get rid of Naden to bring in Jeral Skelton and Sam Stonestreet both wingers who have size, height, speed and tackle busting ability.
Upgrade Onitoni Large and Heamasi Makasini to top 30 contracts. Large as a centre or fullback option who could transition back into the halves down the track. Makasini as a block busting centre or winger.
Get rid of Bateman and two other top 30 forwards to recruit Jack Williams from the Sharks who always provides enthusiasm, leg speed and impact of the bench, also one or both of Billy Burns and Matt Doorey who are mobile tackle busting, line breaking back rowers.

Retain Stefano has to be our priority. I know he’s a little bit inconsistent, but beasts like him with mobility and approaching the prime of their career are not easy to find.
Not so much to do with Bud’s ability, more to do with our poor previous recruitment where we did not sign a natural halfback with a good level kicking game.
Get rid of Naden to bring in Jeral Skelton and Sam Stonestreet both wingers who have size, height, speed and tackle busting ability.
Upgrade Onitoni Large and Heamasi Makasini to top 30 contracts. Large as a centre or fullback option who could transition back into the halves down the track. Makasini as a block busting centre or winger.
Get rid of Bateman and two other top 30 forwards to recruit Jack Williams from the Sharks who always provides enthusiasm, leg speed and impact of the bench, also one or both of Billy Burns and Matt Doorey who are mobile tackle busting, line breaking back rowers.
Great insights Scott Fulton

If he is injured and doesn’t want to get involved, what is the point of him playing ?
Probably more of a directive than anything else. Kind of like when Adam Reynolds is battling an injury, Ezra might pick up some of the load and let Adam ease off to make it through.

Manly lose a few backs to injury and go out, sign Aaron Schoupp....

We never really try and address our issues.
Rolling out career failures like Naden and Kepoa every week is so painful.

I hope they're telling Naden he needs to find a new deal elsewhere.
I’m sure clubs will lining up down the block to sign a career failure.

If Sexton is so good why is Drew Hutchison keeping him out of the 7?

If we move Sullivan, I don’t think we’ll replace him with another reserve grade half.

Reactions: 851
Alaimalo is improving all of the time.
I watched his first few games in NSW Cup and he was scared to catch a high ball and could not make a tackle to save his life.
He is now attack every high ball with confidence, making try saving tackles and his hit ups out of our danger zone are strong.
Charlie has unfortunately missed one on one tackles that are leading to tries too often this season, but if he can somehow fix that he has generally been very safe under the high ball and is our only player aside from Olam who regularly hits top speed with his hit ups.
Surely nobody can be blaming our wingers for our recent losses, but we do need more tackle busting line breaking ability from at least one of our wingers.
Wingers are fundamentally finishers and require their inside men to create the opportunities . Throwing the ball to a winger and say make something happen is not good strategy. It works sometimes r but rarely.
Rather look for slick hands, draw and pass and get quick ball to the winger. It happens at sometime in most games but never with us. We seem to have inept inside men who struggle to throw a good pass or know how to set up their outside supports.
But I forgot, we have a coach who was so highly regarded as a player, could throw
bullet passes etc UNABLE to coach that into our backs.

Wingers are fundamentally finishers and require their inside men to create the opportunities . Throwing the ball to a winger and say make something happen is not good strategy. It works sometimes r but rarely.
Rather look for slick hands, draw and pass and get quick ball to the winger. It happens at sometime in most games but never with us. We seem to have inept inside men who struggle to throw a good pass or know how to set up their outside supports.
But I forgot, we have a coach who was so highly regarded as a player, could throw
bullet passes etc UNABLE to coach that into our backs.
To’o and Xavier Coates? Deine Mariner? The true modern day wingers are game changers. And they need to do some work.

Latest posts

Back