Southeast Asia

2 mates and I were in Phnom Penh back in 93. It was a wild joint still back then.
We attracted attention as we are big blokes and the other 2 are blonde headed.
We were drinking in a seedy little joint which doubled as a fuel station and a local took us to this night club. I cant remember the name of the joint, but when we got to the door, the doorman wouldnt let us in because we failed to remove our firearms and leave them with him. We spoke through an interpreter and claimed we didnt have any but he didnt believe us. Next to him he had a cane basket with a couple of dozen old guns, and knives inside it. Just sitting there on the floor!
We went elsewhere.

Last edited:
When I’m down that part of the Kingdom I like Karon and Kata , Patong is a once seen don’t need to go back to that part for me , but I would tell anyone first visit to do the night there , it’s good fun
Bang tao is the best part of Phuket....away from the bogans, germans, russians and other perverts. Thailand is the most beautiful country populated by the most beautiful people inside and out. Its a disgrace that there is a small element catering to the lowest of society and that is what is known abou tthe country.

Was thinking of going to Sanur for a week or so later in the year- good or bad idea?
Usually quiet and peaceful over that side, the second development after Kuta many years ago.
Nusa Dua a lot more relaxed as well.
Depends what your holiday objectives are, personally I’ve been to Bali so many times it doesn’t feature on my radar.
At my age, and having lived in SE Asia, Singapore ticks all my boxes now.

Saigon is showing your age. Then again, you hide neither your age or your name. Love the passion.
Well no one who’s lived over there ever calls it anything else. At least not in my circles.
And I’m proud of being in my 70s and having had such an interesting and varied life.
Just remember, travel broadens the mind, and makes you appreciate certain things you might normally take for granted.

Well no one who’s lived over there ever calls it anything else. At least not in my circles.
And I’m proud of being in my 70s and having had such an interesting and varied life.
Just remember, travel broadens the mind, and makes you appreciate certain things you might normally take for granted.
And proud you should be.

I've remembered something thanks to your reminder. Travel broadens the mind. I had forgotten, but it's at my frontal lobe now and has forced me to think. Ive only lived in 4 countries during my short life, so I'm still learning. I've learnt from you that your circle continues to call Ho Chi Minh by it's old name, Saigon. A lesson many don't ever learn. Yet here we are. Learning. From you. Thank you and forgive me.

Yeah its pretty good man where you staying? Finns?
Not gotten that far ahead. Mrs has never been overseas (other than her homeland NZ) so taking baby steps. Both of us in our 50's, so the clubbing scene is starting to feel like a distant memory..

Finns is good?

Reactions: BZN
I know exactly of what you talk.
Happy Pizza.
I lost an afternoon and evening in there 20 years ago.
I was going to ask AHX what was so good about pizza in that part of the world.
But from what you say, it doesn't sound like the sorta pizza you get from Pizza Hut.

Anyone living in Asia?
Not living there but plan to do our Aussie winters in Thailand , I’ve done many many trips over in july / August and always enjoyed the weather , we live in a unit complex hear so we can let our unit out for holiday rent as the place is a holiday apartment complex but we moved into our unit 5 years ago , get rent for 2 to 3 months from the letting pool and pay for accommodation in Thailand , where you living

Not living there but plan to do our Aussie winters in Thailand , I’ve done many many trips over in july / August and always enjoyed the weather , we live in a unit complex hear so we can let our unit out for holiday rent as the place is a holiday apartment complex but we moved into our unit 5 years ago , get rent for 2 to 3 months from the letting pool and pay for accommodation in Thailand , where you living
Sounds remarkably like the ideas I'm floating past my partner as we close in on the retirement time.

Looking at holiday units in the UK- cheap as Hell, plus I get UK citizenship.

Also, so many fixer-up's in Brittany in the north of France for ridiculous prices- $30-$40k Australian etc.

Could use my Redcliffe unit as my Australian base & spend chunks of the year in Bali. Thailand & the UK..

Sounds remarkably like the ideas I'm floating past my partner as we close in on the retirement time.

Looking at holiday units in the UK- cheap as Hell, plus I get UK citizenship.

Also, so many fixer-up's in Brittany in the north of France for ridiculous prices- $30-$40k Australian etc.

Could use my Redcliffe unit as my Australian base & spend chunks of the year in Bali. Thailand & the UK..
100%. Mate I’m on Bribie Island and that’s the plan , travel. Do some videos , and use the unit as an bread winner for couple months I think you can get up to 90 days in Thailand and if you do long term stay at most places ( 3 weeks or longer you can grab great bargains even in the small resorts where you can get things included in the stay like breakfast or drop breakfast and use the street food or small cafe etc , cost bugger all

Not gotten that far ahead. Mrs has never been overseas (other than her homeland NZ) so taking baby steps. Both of us in our 50's, so the clubbing scene is starting to feel like a distant memory..

Finns is good?
Yeah it’s crazy.
Personally I’d look at Nusa Dua for accomodation and visit Finns for dinner or something

Latest posts

Members online

Back