Stefano Utoikamanu #241

These clauses were obviously inserted by Stefano not the club…and that’s a concern. It says Stefano wants to be in a competitive club…for that reason I see him going if the Riff go after him
Yep. That’s what I thought when I first heard about these dodgey clauses. So much for all the talk about being Captain of Tigers, you’ve already set up a get out clause. It’s just a matter of time before he goes and it’s this attitude that’s in the back of his mind and mine every time I’ve seen him have a shite game and another loss over the last couple of years. Then finally this year we are seeing some consistency and we will have to throw more money at him to get him to stay. He will probably take less to leave, so we are getting taxed twice. We pay on potential, and then again when they finally fulfill it, and the rooters of the comp come knocking.

Yep. That’s what I thought when I first heard about these dodgey clauses. So much for all the talk about being Captain of Tigers, you’ve already set up a get out clause. It’s just a matter of time before he goes and it’s this attitude that’s in the back of his mind and mine every time I’ve seen him have a shite game and another loss over the last couple of years. Then finally this year we are seeing some consistency and we will have to throw more money at him to get him to stay. He will probably take less to leave, so we are getting taxed twice. We pay on potential, and then again when they finally fulfill it, and the rooters of the comp come knocking.
Yeah - I reckon he personally drafted these extraordinary clauses....

Get a grip!

Heard of player managers??

This was evidently the handiwork of Mario Tartak - who arguably is meeting his professional obligations to best look after the interest of his client in this case! But - most clubs would not have agreed to these clauses & it demonstrates what his bargaining position was at the time and the spinelessness of our former admin team!

Tartak has been playing silly games since he got the Tigers front office to sign up his boy Fulton on the sly!

That does not mean Stef will exercise the clauses - or was personally angling for an easy escape.

The character of the player will determine the result - NOT the clauses!

He'll get an origin game this year.
He deserves to. But Madge showed with us he's got no clue on how to pick a side or use interchanges. Plus I could almost see Madge not picking him to spite the Tigers knowing the clause

Who on earth put or agreed to put these weird clauses in his contract saying
- if WT don't make the top 8 in 2024 he can get out of his contract
- if he "doesnt "make S.O.O he can get out of his contract ? Or is it "does "?
So Penrith lose JFH so what .We are not "Repco" the spare parts store !
A very weak, submissive club.

He deserves to. But Madge showed with us he's got no clue on how to pick a side or use interchanges. Plus I could almost see Madge not picking him to spite the Tigers knowing the clause
You’re talking about a man who after he got shafted by our club, took time while on holiday in Europe to make a video for the club to congratulate James Tamou on his 300th game. I don’t think he’s the petty type.

He will pick Stef he feels he deserves it.
Who partners Clearly in the halves is the interesting one ? With few suitors fit or in form...

Yeah - I reckon he personally drafted these extraordinary clauses....

Get a grip!

Heard of player managers??

This was evidently the handiwork of Mario Tartak - who arguably is meeting his professional obligations to best look after the interest of his client in this case! But - most clubs would not have agreed to these clauses & it demonstrates what his bargaining position was at the time and the spinelessness of our former admin team!

Tartak has been playing silly games since he got the Tigers front office to sign up his boy Fulton on the sly!

That does not mean Stef will exercise the clauses - or was personally angling for an easy escape.

The character of the player will determine the result - NOT the clauses!
Utoikamanu is with Daniel O'Loughlin, not Tartak.

You’re talking about a man who after he got shafted by our club, took time while on holiday in Europe to make a video for the club to congratulate James Tamou on his 300th game. I don’t think he’s the petty type.
Same bloke who wouldn't hire competent assistants because he was paranoid about getting shown up and losing his job like when Siebold got his Souths job

There's no way Stefano is a million dollar player. Richo specifically said Haas is not a 'game-breaker' late in 2023 and that you don't pay forwards that sort of money. Neither did he sign AFB on a million as he rejected him. So how much more Stefano? He will only get better, but will he be the top prop in the game in the future? If not, he's definitely not worth it. If penrith want to take him on unders and he wants success, he can go. As well as another bottom team overpaying for him. It would be nice to keep him given a lack of quality props in the NRL on the market, but we shouldn't think of overpaying. We still need to lock down Lachie

There's no way Stefano is a million dollar player. Richo specifically said Haas is not a 'game-breaker' late in 2023 and that you don't pay forwards that sort of money. Neither did he sign AFB on a million as he rejected him. So how much more Stefano? He will only get better, but will he be the top prop in the game in the future? If not, he's definitely not worth it. If penrith want to take him on unders and he wants success, he can go. As well as another bottom team overpaying for him. It would be nice to keep him given a lack of quality props in the NRL on the market, but we shouldn't think of overpaying. We still need to lock down Lachie
It's all good & well saying he can go but who do you get to replace him? He's probably the best middle on the market atm & if we let him go our options are a declining Klemmer, Pole who still has a bit to go to be a consistent first grader, Sam Fainu, Seyfarth, Twal, Jordan Miller.... not looking too good.

It's all good & well saying he can go but who do you get to replace him? He's probably the best middle on the market atm & if we let him go our options are a declining Klemmer, Pole who still has a bit to go to be a consistent first grader, Sam Fainu, Seyfarth, Twal, Jordan Miller.... not looking too good.
💯 correct.
Supply and demand says Stefano will get more than most think as there is absolutely nobody who can adequately replace him.

I don't think we should pay him a million to keep him. Highest I'd go is 850K and maybe 900K if he continues to improve. While he's been good this year, he has had periods in his career where he's been below average imo

Tigers have to do everything to stop Penrith and or the roosters from poaching Stefano.. too strong clubs with cash for a young fella is very tempting . It goes without saying we need a big year and possibly a pay increase to keep him keen to stay a Tiger..He can't get on Cleary bus .
Imo he is a really decent and sensible bloke H101.
I reckon the most important things to him...are he and the rest of the team good mates, is Benji the rite coach, does he believe WTs are a team on the up, up, and away now that Richo is with us bringing stability to our club.
I believe he will stay with Us.

Back