OFFICIAL Sunia "Tito" Turuva

Reminds me of how Robert Jennings went at Souffs in 2018 and then how he went after that when he came to us.

I don't think so. You see his application to his work
on the field, he scraps for every play and for his team.
Robert Jennings is more like the bro Taane Milne lol

Staines was a backup winger at Penrith. He flashed and then fell down the pecking order. Plus they had turuva coming through so were happy to let him go.

Turuva is a much more robust player, where Staines always looked and played slight at Penrith. Turuva is not a tall or power winger but he does everything you want from a good winger with good speed, work rate, finishing, effective hit ups and awareness.

He'll have a harder time at the tigers than at Penrith, but I think he's one of the better wingers in the comp. Not the absolute top tier but probably best of the rest below that.

I don't think so. You see his application to his work
on the field, he scraps for every play and for his team.
Robert Jennings is more like the bro Taane Milne lol
Have to agree with you and the point I was trying to make was that he won't be anywhere near as effective here if we don't have the personnel and the game plan to help him.

Robert Jennings at Souffs in 2018 was on the end of a backline that consistently fed him very good ball in good positions and many people were of the opinion that all he had to do over there was to fall over the line to score many of the tries that he scored.

Souffs finished that year in the top 4 (on equal competition points with the minor premiers and arch rivals the Roorters) and went deep into the finals only to be eliminated by eventual Grand Final winners the Roorters.

Robert Jennings finished the season somewhere among the top try scorers and we thought we were gaining a try scoring machine when we signed him, but unfortunately we were not able to provide him with the opportunities he got at Souffs in 2018.

I don't see it being too much different to our current situation with someone like Api, best #9 in the game who schemes and works his butt off every game for very little reward because we don't provide him with the support that he needs to be able to capitalise on his smarts.

Last edited:
Staines was a backup winger at Penrith. He flashed and then fell down the pecking order. Plus they had turuva coming through so were happy to let him go.

Turuva is a much more robust player, where Staines always looked and played slight at Penrith. Turuva is not a tall or power winger but he does everything you want from a good winger with good speed, work rate, finishing, effective hit ups and awareness.

He'll have a harder time at the tigers than at Penrith, but I think he's one of the better wingers in the comp. Not the absolute top tier but probably best of the rest below that.
I don’t know that you can justifiably slot Staines into that category while leaving Turuva out?
They both played 3 seasons, starting slowly in their first year with only a few games. Staines possibly came to us carrying that injury, while Turuva is injury free and with less competition for a wing spot?

Here’s a question.
Who is the better winger? Staines or Turuva? Both similar age and size. Both played wing for Panthers.
Turuva’s first 37 games scored 22 tries.
Staines first 38 games scored 31 tries.
great question and a fair one too.

Staines' finishing ability when he came into grade was elite. obviously the four tries on debut was crazy, but he did incredibly well to get the ball down a number of times after that and had a knack for finding the line. I think he was beginning to get back to that before his bowel injury last year, but his confidence in his body has understandably been rocked and it was always going to take a little time to get back there, if at all.

I think him and Tito are different players. Tito was always the better ballplayer of the two when they played fullback in Cup, and he is more agile and evasive from what I can see. the fact that he's built lower to the ground means that he's better out of yardage as well and can get the quick play the ball away that Staines cannot.

at their best I think Staines' finishing ability is better than Turuva's, but he hasn't shown that for a couple of years. defensively they're a little similar in regards to being a little inconsistent, but both have shown they can do it against big opposite numbers and in big games.

Turuva though, in my view, is the better all round footballer.

Here’s a question.
Who is the better winger? Staines or Turuva? Both similar age and size. Both played wing for Panthers.
Turuva’s first 37 games scored 22 tries.
Staines first 38 games scored 31 tries.
I think you may have made a typo Staines had 23 tries rather than 31.
I think the 31 comes from Penrith won 31 of the 38 games he played

Hope we are having a red hot crack at Blaze Talagi. If true Parra offer if $1m over 3x years, offer the kid 5 to 6 hundred thousand over 3 x years.. I think the kid is that good that in years to come will seem dirt cheap

Hope we are having a red hot crack at Blaze Talagi. If true Parra offer if $1m over 3x years, offer the kid 5 to 6 hundred thousand over 3 x years.. I think the kid is that good that in years to come will seem dirt cheap
Per season that is

very talented kid but can't see him moving here. if he is to leave Parra, which I think is pretty unlikely, it'll be to play fullback. the Dragons will be in with a shout for sure.

very talented kid but can't see him moving here. if he is to leave Parra, which I think is pretty unlikely, it'll be to play fullback. the Dragons will be in with a shout for sure.
Thought Sloan is their fullback

Turuva would be targeted at fullback. Bula has a decent leap and even he gets out jumped. Turuva would be much worse.

Also, I think Bula's last ditch defence is underrated.

He's got a lot to improve on but we don't have any better fullbacks coming through or joining the club next year.

Turuva would be targeted at fullback. Bula has a decent leap and even he gets out jumped. Turuva would be much worse.

He's got a lot to improve on but we don't have any better fullbacks coming through or joining the club next year.

Possibly, but other small fullbacks like Paps seem to manage.

I don't see a problem in having both swap between fullback and centre during a game. Gives the opposition something to think about and also gives us a look at both players in both positions. Teams have done this type of swapping in the past and eventually one player demands the fullback role.

Possibly, but other small fullbacks like Paps seem to manage.

I don't see a problem in having both swap between fullback and centre during a game. Gives the opposition something to think about and also gives us a look at both players in both positions. Teams have done this type of swapping in the past and eventually one player demands the fullback role.
Switching during the game is fine, particularly in attack, but I think we need to build combinations.

Bula hasn't had a consistent halves pairing, and it's going to change again next year. Hopefully Api, Luai, Galvin and Bula can string some games together next year and show what they can do.

We're going to get a sneak peak of Turuva at fullback this weekend against Dragons... if he plays well in an origin-depleted side it would interest Benji and the other coaches here

Give Bula some time to get better this season and work on it in preseason and he'll be a really great player come next year. This is all part of the learning process. Latrell, Turbo, Jack Wighton all started out as talented error prone players

Latest posts

Staff online

Back