Todd Payten pleads guilty to urinating on Hyde Park memorial

hammertime

First I've heard of this!!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/todd-payten-pleads-guilty-to-urinating-on-hyde-park-memorial-20111108-1n4ow.html

Former rugby league player Todd Payten has pleaded guilty to urinating on the Hyde Park War Memorial.
>
The recently-retired representative prop appeared in Downing Centre Local Court today charged with committing an indecent and offensive act on a war memorial.
>
The incident took place on September 18, but was not revealed to the public by the National Rugby League.
Advertisement: Story continues below
>
The court heard that Payten, 32, had pleaded guilty but did not bring any character references with him because he was too embarrassed to tell anyone what had happened.
>
The former Sydney Roosters, Canberra Raiders and Wests Tigers star announced in June that 2011 would be his last season.
>
Payten is one of an elite few players to have amassed over 250 games in the NRL.
>
The case has been adjourned until this afternoon for sentencing.

That's appalling! What a way to end your career…

My respect for Payten just dropped several levels are reading this. Fair enough people can't always make it to a restroom when they're out on the town, but relieving one's self on the War Memorial reeks of stupidity and arrogance.

Find A Tree dude.

Is this another drink fueled incident.

My office window directly overlooks the scene of the crime.

How could you mate.

@willow said:
My respect for Payten just dropped several levels are reading this. Fair enough people can't always make it to a restroom when they're out on the town, but relieving one's self on the War Memorial reeks of stupidity and arrogance.

Especially when there are a million trees around Hyde Park!!

I wonder if we are going to be in the market for a new NYC coach

That's disgusting Todd No matter how pissed I have been while out I have never relieved myself on something that may offend others

It was a war memorial to people that have kept our country safe from invaders and gave their life so we could live the lives we enjoy Shame Todd Shame

The court heard that Payten, 32, had pleaded guilty but did not bring any character references with him because he was too embarrassed to tell anyone what had happened.

Remorse

pleaded guilty

Accepting responsibilty.

Poor decision, enough said

@innsaneink said:

Remorse

pleaded guilty

Accepting responsibilty.

Poor decision, enough said

Ink it would of been nice if Todd had of apologized to all the fallen soldiers he grossly disrespected with his actions
Remembrance Day in three days Maybe a gesture of good will in the way of a donation of some description to one of the charities involved with looking after the families of the fallen

maybe he was apologizing as he was doing it. we dont know what was going through his head. "All work and no play makes Todd a dull boy".

In a way, I feel sorry for him.

Most of us probably might wake up with a big hangover and even bigger regret for our drunken antics. But his actions will get plastered through the paper for everyone to judge him.

People make mistakes. I'm disappointed, but I'm sure Toddy feels bad enough as it is without the media getting involved.

@Spartan117 said:
Find A Tree dude.

Is this another drink fueled incident.

My office window directly overlooks the scene of the crime.

How could you mate.

I have a meeting at solicitors in Elizabeth Street this arvo, I'll wave hello

@hammertime said:
In a way, I feel sorry for him.

Most of us probably might wake up with a big hangover and even bigger regret for our drunken antics. But his actions will get plastered through the paper for everyone to judge him.

People make mistakes. I'm disappointed, but I'm sure Toddy feels bad enough as it is without the media getting involved.

I think anyone who releaves themselves on a war memorial would make into the paper anyway regardless of who you are

Once again a sign of the issue that seems to be right through Australian culture (not just footballers) that you need to drink yourself stupid to have a good time.

I fear a Ben Alexander accident will happen again and this might finally help wake up some of these guys that they have a hell of a lot to lose by getting completely smashed.

Unfortunately Todd as a father, aged in your early 30's, and moving into the responsibilities of a senior coaching role you have stuff up pretty badly.

Let's hope it makes you a better man and a better leader of young men.

@helmesy said:
Once again a sign of the issue that seems to be right through Australian culture (not just footballers) that you need to drink yourself stupid to have a good time.

I fear a Ben Alexander accident will happen again and this might finally help wake up some of these guys that they have a hell of a lot to lose by getting completely smashed.

Unfortunately Todd as a father, aged in your early 30's, and moving into the responsibilities of a senior coaching role you have stuff up pretty badly.

Let's hope it makes you a better man and a better leader of young men.

bit harsh on the auzzy cilture mate

@willow said:
the War Memorial reeks

of urine.

Why is it that in Hyde Park, so many people relieve themselves on the War Memorial when there so so many trees around and probably in darkness ?

Can WT not stay out of th news for more than a day or two without something 'happening" ?

Toddy joins the ranks of Willie Mason, Scott Prince, Anthony Watmough, Terence Seu Seu, Todd Carney, Julian O'Neil, Steve Michaels, Nick Kenney, Tupou, Cronk, Finch, Don Mckinnon (on the field) and that woman supporter at the SOO in QLD earlier this year. The more I google the more I find.

Poor form Toddy..and to do that to a war memorial…a symbol we should all respect...just is terrible...If I were judge I would make him go around to all the war memorials in Sydney and get him to clean/polish them up...till they are nice and shiny!.

Pissing outside, yeah I've done that hundreds of times out on the drink. If it was just this then I would say big deal.

But I've never walked over to the town cenotaph and relieved myself on it. Poor form from someone I respected the most in our squad.

Extremely disappointed.

Todd Payten avoids conviction for urinating on Hyde Park memorial
Paul Bibby
November 8, 2011 - 4:13PM
\
\
Former rugby league representative star Todd Payten has today avoided a conviction for urinating on the Hyde Park War Memorial.
>
The incident took place at 12.30am on September 18 after Payten, 32, went on a night out on the town with friends.
>
Downing Centre Local Court heard that the former prop was so intoxicated that he was unable to answer questions from police.
\
\
Payten, who retired recently, appeared in court today charged with committing an indecent and offensive act on a war memorial.
>
The incident was not revealed to the public by the National Rugby League.
>
>
Magistrate Graeme Curram accepted Payten's claim that he was not aware that he was urinating on the war memorial and had not intended to "desecrate what to many is a site of great significance".
>
He elected not to record a conviction against Payten but placed him on a six-month good behaviour bond.
**Through his lawyer, Payten said that he was embarrassed and humiliated over the incident and had contacted the NSW Returned Services League to apologise for what he had done.**
>
The former Sydney Roosters, Canberra Raiders and Wests Tigers star announced in June that 2011 would be his last season.
>
Payten is one of an elite few players to have amassed more than 250 games in the NRL.
>
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/todd-payten-avoids-conviction-for-urinating-on-hyde-park-memorial-20111108-1n4ow.html#ixzz1d5XmPKGg

Showed remorse, accepted responsibility, apologized to relevant authority…done & dusted.

Back