LIVE GAME Trial 1 vs. Warriors

Live Game Discussion
My main concern without getting too caught up in a first up trial game, was that they played a man down for 60 minutes, yet their young forwards ran harder, looked fitter, tackled harder, were faster and stronger, and played tougher than our young forwards. That worries me about the future depth of our NRL squad.
The warriors were also bringing on fresh legs every 5-10 mins whereas we kept the same players on. SO they had no fatigue due to the unlimited interchange, if it were an nrl game they would have faitgued more.

Agreed mind you that sin binning was a bit over the top! Bit of a square up if u ask me
Yes possibly, but it was the second time the goose was put on report for a similar infringement in front of the oppositions home crowd.

Not sure if he was entitled to any more chances under the circumstances.

Api and Sullivan need to decide which one of them is going to keep that hair colour. I found it pretty annoying trying to differentiate them. The fact they wear 6 and 9 doesn’t help either.
They had their hair dyed as a punishment. For what? Don't know, but everyone is being held accountable. Which is good. But hopefully we don't see too many bleached hair dos this season.

Kit really has struggled he is young though plenty of time to develop
Just like the hot favourite to be starting lock last year for us in Chris Faaugatu didn’t show up to the pace in last years trial.
They are kids.
with the exception of Samuela who is a different beast all together.
The depth players in this game that actually did decent are all over 21.
There is something in that.

They had their hair dyed as a punishment. For what? Don't know, but everyone is being held accountable. Which is good. But hopefully we don't see too many bleached hair dos this season.
Haha that’s right. Forgot about that. Let’s hope we don’t have games this year where we have a team full of extras out of The Real Slim Shady video.

Ur missing the point , a lot on her have been singing the praises of our young players and that we can’t buy anymore players because the kids will leave , well if that’s the best we got then we are in big trouble, give it take one or two , our kids are well behind what I have seen over the weekend
This kinda crap really makes me laugh, actually a large proportion of the narrative around yesterdays game is so far wide of the mark it isn't funny !!!

Not saying the youngsters are all going to be guns or that they will even make regular first graders, but to be writing them off after yesterday's performance is ludicrous!!!!

It was a friggin trial, we only had our better players on for 15 to 20 mins !

When was the last time a team blooded 13 kids in a single NRL game ??? I'll tell you never !!!

They will be introduced a few a time and be getting experience and development in the lower grades not all thrown in together all at the same time like in a friggin trial!

Everyone needs to chill and relax, our better player were solid while on and the kids did enough to win. That's it period. The best thing too come out of yesterday were no injuries.

The entire Warriors squad we played was NSW cup level with a handful of first graders.
RTS, Metcalf and Montoya played the first 60.
Ale and Afoa were still on the field at the end of the game.
So what are you saying, that our NSW Cup forwards might need to muscle up a bit better ?
Of our young emerging players under 20 years of age, I thought Da Silva, Mason and Willett showed great signs and not forgetting Samuela Fainu is still only 19. Despite a couple of discipline issues he got better as the game went on. He seemed to only play as a middle forward, does that mean he’s not considered an option to play as edge forward ?

Last edited:
Dont think there were many negatives, I reckon Benji would be very happy with this arvo

*Main guys all played well first half and despite him saying the result wasnt important ...winning gives the squad a positivity and spring in the step for the following week...makes going to work much more enjoyable

*New guys all went well, Sezar & Sully both looked good for initial hit outs

*Our defense despite anything anyone says bout the opposition wasnt bad and keeping an opposition to under 18 is a goal

*No injuries from what I could see

*Losing to 12 men would see this joint melt down and the media likely already on Benjis back
It couldve been much much worse, but its only a trial and only a few will remember it next year, me being not one of them
How's things going with your health innsaneink?🤞

Agreed mind you that sin binning was a bit over the top! Bit of a square up if u ask me
Yeah his first one that went on report was far worse. The ref seemed intent on blowing the whistle for everything.

I can see the Warriors going pretty deep into the competition again - possibly pushing Penrith and broncos. RTS and Harris Tavita are great additions. They are big and strong, have some really strong leadership and are well coached.

I don't know if Tigers simply could not strip for numbers, or didn't try, but it definitely was not in the play. Tigers continued to play simple footy, not too many offloads, not too much aggressive movement to the backs. It's almost like Benji sent out the message to just keep playing controlled system footy regardless of the send-off.
I think you're spot on. Building a club wide system and structure.

We were on the back foot for most of the second half, so it's pleasing we only leaked 16 points.

I can see the Warriors going pretty deep into the competition again - possibly pushing Penrith and broncos. RTS and Harris Tavita are great additions. They are big and strong, have some really strong leadership and are well coached.
RTS at centre is a big addition for them. Super solid in defence and dangerous in attack. I'll go out on a limb here and say he's already the top centre in the comp.

In the first 20 mins when the stronger side was on Api looked to have more options. With multiple players running lines at the same time. When he picked out Seyfarth for the 1st try. He had Steph running a line closer to the middle and some else running wider as well.

I was pleased with the opening 15 minutes; from there it was a bit like watching the local A graders go around, a bit of that is experience related and a bit the nature of the rotating interchange.

Sezar showed exactly why we purchased him - his kicks were good and he controlled the game. In addition he isn't afraid to take it to the line which is the first step in playing with momentum. He will provide a good foundation to build from.

Bud, rocks and diamonds. Thought he was OK with Sezar running the show - didn't control the game when he went off. Don't think he is a 7 - interesting to see how he and Latu compare next week.

Combined Sezar and Sullivan showed something to build on. A couple of times they dug deep into the line and hit a player at pace on a good line. Certainly an improvement on 23. There wasn't much enterprise wider though - an area that clearly needs improvement.

In the centres - I thought Faataape showed promise and Casey was reasonably solid until he was injured. I don't think either are starters at this stage but will keep Toa and Naden on their toes. I would not be surprised to see Faataape lock down a FG spot in 12 months with a bit of development.

Wing- Toupou didn't display enough to lock down a FG spot and neither did Staines - although Charlie's wing didn't see much of the ball while he was on. Lobb provides a great kick target and combined with his goal kicking ability makes him hard to rule out as a round two starter. He has the potential to be a long term fixture on one wing. Willett needs some developement time and some time to grow into his frame. No need to rush him - he looks like he he could develop nicely.

Not much from Bula at the back but he was where he had to be when he needed to be. Want to see his attack develop a lot more - but really wasn't challenged position wise from anyone. Mason made a few experience errors and needs a fair bit of development - but has potential.

Api had support when he took off for a change. Good signs. Simpkin is so far behind in terms of skill. TDS is a better hooker - but needs more development time for mine. From what I saw I expect Simpkin is being groomed as a 14 and TDS will probably get a year in Cup to develop - which is what he needs at this stage.

Klemmer was back to his damaging self and Stef stepped up a little. Great to see offloads weren't the first thing on their mind. They played direct and set the platform. Pole was a little disappointing. I think he will be most effective in that front row rotation. It will be interesting if he steps up next week to try an own the 13 as that's where I think he sees himself.

Seyfath was energetic but I'm just not sure he has the ball playing skills we need at 13. I like him but there is something about him that just doesn't look right - he is ungainly. Maybe its a good thing - can't knock him on effort. One to watch at this stage - I hope he gets more minutes next week.

Papalii did well and showed energy and some spark. I think with Sezar and Bud (potentially Latu) we will see him hitting holes at the ad line. Something to look forward to - it is developmental but you can see the potential. With Bateman offering something unconventional it is a good combination. I think there is an opportunity for the young guns to push Kepoa into reggies and make Bateman work hard to be a starter week in week out.

I'm keen to see some of the fringe forwards play with a first string halves combo as the rotating halves and forward combination after the first 15 made it difficult to see their attacking strengths. Fianu made his presence felt - I'm not too worried about the ill discipline at this stage. He showed some mongrel which is good - now we just need to channel that into more productive pursuits. We need someone in the pack to be an enforcer when required - he could be our man.

It was a trial - we did OK; there were some pomising signs across the park. BUT we are still pretty shallow in development and experience. The juniors weren't disgraced. 2024 is definitely a building year but the foundation now looks to be set. I trust that we have limited injuries in the first half of the year to enable the youg fellas to develop.
Good review which echos most of my thoughts but here are some extra comments ...

The group showed plenty of resilience especially in defence & the win would have given the younger members plenty of heart & confidence. It is evident they were playing to a simple system & what I loved was the scramble in defence the few times the Warriors made a break or had an overlap.

I do think Benji had his Round 2 team 90% clear in his mind before the trial and I think Tupou will stay in the 1st 13 barring injury.

With Olam, T'oa, Bateman, Twal almost definites for Rd 2, I think Benji is just looking at the make-up of his bench & 1st choice backups in each position for injury.

Kepaoa - ok in attack with some of his post contact but his IQ in defence is terrible. I think he'll get another start in trial 2 to try to nail down as top 17 bench spot for the season proper but his defence really needs to improve.

Faataape - very good & I can see him become our 1st choice backup centre through the season. I'd like to see how he handles some 1-on-1 defensive situations before I get too excited.

Seyfarth - will be our 1st choice lock, very impressive, a few times his passing out-the-back went a bit behind the half who lost momentum so needs to work on this.

Simpkin - seems to be our #1 utility going into the season to relieve Api & potentially play in the halves or lock if required. Good to see him given some time at halfback to develop that versatility.

Sezer - pleasantly surprised. I think he's going to excel in the backline leadership / cool head role for us.

Sam Fainu - only 20, still a few season's away from having the bulk/power to be a dominant middle but still good in his effort. Just needs to rein in his discipline in defence. Would have liked to see him on an edge a bit more.

Sione Fainu - good improvement from last season, the effort of a solid but not dominant middle. His run metres were exaggerated by his intercept 50 metres but liked his application.

Mason / Willett / Da Silva / Laulilii / Feledy / Sukkar - great experience for all of them & particularly liked the efforts of Mason, Willett, TDS & Sukkar. Feledy didn't really get the opportunity to show much. Tallyn just has that x-factor about him and it seems him, Galvin & Latu are the most progressed of last season's SG Ballers. In saying that, Sukkar just gives off that impression he's going to be a good one! Loved some of his contact & I think will develop to be a fast, half-running edge forward. Kit was a tad disappointing in a few plays in both A & D. I'd like to see Kit, Mason & Nav go back to Ball for a few weeks to work on their deficiencies before moving to Flegg for the start of the season & then progress to Cup later in the season.

Vaihu - much better when moved inbto the backrow rather than centre. Loved his application & energy and I think he can develop probably a bit slower than others. His defence & tackling technique needs working - a couple of ordinary attempts on RTS.

Only other comment is I feel Reuben Porter can be a surprise packet & option as a middle/edge utility.

Looking forward to seeing how Tumeth & Matamua have progressed in trial 2 assuming they get a run as well as Latu Fainu.

Mason was busy - but far from good!!
I thought he looked very sharp with ball in hand and played fearless in what was his first game of open age rugby league.
He needs a bit of work on his defensive technique, but looks very willing.
Everyone sees things differently, but I see a big future for him initially as a utility.

Back