WFH - Work from Home

Every argument that boomers make to defend forcing people to come into the office for desk jobs is stupid.

'If you can do your job from home, someone can do it from overseas' - they already can chief
'You'll miss out on collaboration!' - collaboration consists of Susan interrupting you to ask for help with the printer and share gossip
'How will your boss know you're working?' - by the completion of the tasks you're asked to complete

it all boils down to 'I had to commute to the office, therefore you should to'

I had the option to WFH during Covid, but decided against it. It was great to get out of the house and maintain some sort of normality. I probably would WFH now if I had the option, but alas.

An important consideration with WFH jobs is productivity. Are you getting as much done at home with all the distractions?
When I was doing a desk job in an office, I got FAR more distracted in the office with endless conversations, than I ever did at home. At home I could just focus on what I needed to do. So as far as I'm concerned, working in an office is a productivity killer, and that's not even counting the time pointlessly wasted commuting.

I did it during Covid and found I worked heaps longer hours
Same, I often ended up doing additional work after official clock off, in time that I would have otherwise been commuting. So I was doing the boss a favour, and getting more done. But there's still this sense that people at home are bludging, while the people chattering away all day in an office are 'productive'.

When I was doing a desk job in an office, I got FAR more distracted in the office with endless conversations, than I ever did at home. At home I could just focus on what I needed to do. So as far as I'm concerned, working in an office is a productivity killer, and that's not even counting the time pointlessly wasted commuting.
People in the office spend on all day blabbing about the WFH people and any other bullshit they can think of to avoid work.

Same, I often ended up doing additional work after official clock off, in time that I would have otherwise been commuting. So I was doing the boss a favour, and getting more done. But there's still this sense that people at home are bludging, while the people chattering away all day in an office are 'productive'.
My neighbour works from home.
He is a sales manager. He’s got the best lawn in the street because it gets mowed three times a week. For every productive worker from home i reckon there’s one that’s taking the piss.

I work from home, initially for myself and now for a company. I am more productive from home, but they do have a higher turnover of staff bcoz they weed out the bludgers. The role is technical, difficult, and it comes with time frames, and koi’s to meet, so you gotta be self motivated and having a go. One bloke was going to the gym every arvo at 2pm, his pecs were sensational but his jobs piled up and they GPS’d his ute, now he’s working for someone else and driving to work every day.
I love WFH. Yeah sometimes I can be working different or longer hours to meet kpi’s, but I work with my dog The Fonz on my desk every day, Mrs BF is my tea lady, and I get paid well to work diligently from home. Why would I ruin that by not working hard and meeting the deadlines they ask. 🤷‍♂️

I work from home, initially for myself and now for a company. I am more productive from home, but they do have a higher turnover of staff bcoz they weed out the bludgers. The role is technical, difficult, and it comes with time frames, and koi’s to meet, so you gotta be self motivated and having a go. One bloke was going to the gym every arvo at 2pm, his pecs were sensational but his jobs piled up and they GPS’d his ute, now he’s working for someone else and driving to work every day.
I love WFH. Yeah sometimes I can be working different or longer hours to meet kpi’s, but I work with my dog The Fonz on my desk every day, Mrs BF is my tea lady, and I get paid well to work diligently from home. Why would I ruin that by not working hard and meeting the deadlines they ask. 🤷‍♂️
Unfortunately there’s some that can’t control themselves
My wife worked from home for a few years and did too many hours
Even after shutting her computer down she’d go back in and spend half hour doing something that she said would benefit her work the next day
Atm she’s working an 8 day fortnight away for 6 months

My neighbour works from home.
He is a sales manager. He’s got the best lawn in the street because it gets mowed three times a week. For every productive worker from home i reckon there’s one that’s taking the piss.
Fair enough, but equally, there's an entire CBD economy based solely on people leaving their offices to go and buy coffees several times a day, whereas a work from homer just flicks the kettle and keeps working.

Unfortunately there’s some that can’t control themselves
My wife worked from home for a few years and did too many hours
Even after shutting her computer down she’d go back in and spend half hour doing something that she said would benefit her work the next day
Atm she’s working an 8 day fortnight away for 6 months
Away for 6 months? That’s tough.
Yeah I’m not working again till next Tuesday but I’ve already checked emails. I am waiting on quotes and technical reports to come in. I did it before Mrs BF woke bcoz I’m getting back into work after an op, so she’s on to me about over doing it and bcoz of her duel roles the other being minister for finance and fashion, she is on to me about overtime.

Sorry if I implied WFH jobs are for bludgers with my question? I WFH myself and wouldn't have it any other way. Just need to find the right work/life balance.

I lead a large team at work.

I get to chat, scheme, get schmoozed and leave a fraction early if needed.

Technically we may actually get more of the work done at home, but collaboration, culture is the really winner in the office.

I do 2 days in Sydney cbd which is the highlight of my week. The right balance IMO.

Last edited:
Away for 6 months? That’s tough.
Yeah I’m not working again till next Tuesday but I’ve already checked emails. I am waiting on quotes and technical reports to come in. I did it before Mrs BF woke bcoz I’m getting back into work after an op, so she’s on to me about over doing it and bcoz of her duel roles the other being minister for finance and fashion, she is on to me about overtime.
She’s home every 2nd weekend for 4 days. Can’t say it’s really bothered me yet
With footy training and running my daughter around for work, tutoring and drama practice there’s only time for a couple of quiet beers
Hope everything goes well since you’re op

Back