Why no draft system?

Stevec

the draft in AFL and American NFL really works . It would mean the bottom team gets first pick of all the hot nsw cup players etc . We tried it once but lost a restraint of trade case brought by I think a balmain tigers player and it went on scrapheap. Not only does it work in other codes but is an exciting event and helps even up things a little .Better than the dangerous stuff of promotion and relegation that "buzz" was pushing!

We are finally putting the time and effort into our Pathways and hitting the right region! Yes we might still lose some players, but a draft would put all those good young players up for grabs. It would kill off everything we are trying to achieve.

They have tried a draft twice and it has been challenged in court both times and been determined a restraint of trade. I believe Tutty and Hill were the two players who challenged.
Tutty challenged the transfer system not the draft. If we had a transfer system at least we would get compensated when the parasite clubs attack our roster.

The problem with the NRL is the elite talent pool is very small and that means demand out strips supply. So the elite Players can pick and choose and basically all end up at the same few clubs. That’s why the pathways model is the only road for the battlers

It just wouldn’t work given the entitled toxic culture the NRL has helped nurture. The AFL have done it so long, everyone knows it to be a part of the game. It works to. You never see players walking out mid season. Imagine league players being told they have to stay at a club?

I understand all the arguments .I was just trying to put the debate back on the table especially when I hear such rubbish from Buzz last night.
One thing I don't understand is whatever laws the Tutty legal team used in NSW didn't seem to apply in Victoria ?

Reactions: BZN
If clubs like ours must rely solely on pathways to unearth talent and replenish lost first grade stock, then the RLPA and NRL must work together to develop a code of recruitment practice to protect these endeavours.
i.e. if you come through the senior pathways, then that club has the right to debut you over every other club.
Raising kids through to first graders should be rewarded and that means possible financial incentives off the cap as well as anti tampering policies to keep the wolves (Roosters, Storm) at bay.

If clubs like ours must rely solely on pathways to unearth talent and replenish lost first grade stock, then the RLPA and NRL must work together to develop a code of recruitment practice to protect these endeavours.
i.e. if you come through the senior pathways, then that club has the right to debut you over every other club.
Raising kids through to first graders should be rewarded and that means possible financial incentives off the cap as well as anti tampering policies to keep the wolves (Roosters, Storm) at bay.
Is there any player that you think this would of helped in the last couple of years

Another thing to consider is a lack of an independent lower tier competition, i.e. like the NCAA players feed into the NFL draft. It alone is a profit making business, so has no ties to the NFL. Most of the comps where the NRL would be drafting from, do have ties to existing NRL clubs, even some of the country regions have tie ins (like the Panthers at Bathurst).
There was talk a while back of a draft using the U20s as the talent pool, but they were going to let the teams tag the "top 5" that they had exclusive rights too, with just the remainder going into the pool. I imagine that once the top 5 are removed, there wouldn't be a lot (of talent) left over, from the remaining players. Anyway, that didn't happen.
Before any sort of draft is revisited, it would need to be signed off by the RLPA, so that no challenges are made. It is in the best interest of not only the struggling clubs, but the sport in general, in my opinion, but probably not the players, so this would be difficult to achieve.

the draft in AFL and American NFL really works . It would mean the bottom team gets first pick of all the hot nsw cup players etc . We tried it once but lost a restraint of trade case brought by I think a balmain tigers player and it went on scrapheap. Not only does it work in other codes but is an exciting event and helps even up things a little .Better than the dangerous stuff of promotion and relegation that "buzz" was pushing!
I like how they do it in the NBA, if a club wants to collect the best talent, it has to pay more "luxury" tax, transactions are (at least in theory :) ) transparent, and above the "brown" bag business!

They have tried a draft twice and it has been challenged in court both times and been determined a restraint of trade. I believe Tutty and Hill were the two players who challenged.
Correct they were different claims over two distinctly cases, but the same results.
Restrictive trade rulings.

I understand all the arguments .I was just trying to put the debate back on the table especially when I hear such rubbish from Buzz last night.
One thing I don't understand is whatever laws the Tutty legal team used in NSW didn't seem to apply in Victoria ?
If any AFL player challenged the draft in court they would win, but they would also never be picked up by a club. It’s just a unwritten law in AFL and the draft has become part of the fabric of the game. It’s a shame the NRL never got it off the ground as not only it’s a useful tool to spread talent, but it generates so much interest in the game.

Apparently the NRL are looking at the cap with the view to reward clubs that develop players. Now uncle Nick has come out and said they are a development club because they have developed so many young players. Of course where have all these young players come from. Knowing how the NRL work they will define a junior as what club you played at , on your 18th birthday.

Apparently the NRL are looking at the cap with the view to reward clubs that develop players. Now uncle Nick has come out and said they are a development club because they have developed so many young players. Of course where have all these young players come from. Knowing how the NRL work they will define a junior as what club you played at , on your 18th birthday.
They have every trick up their sleeve but only for the benefit of the rich clubs.

Is there any player that you think this would of helped in the last couple of years
Probably none but if the system was fair and worthwhile, investment into the pathways/jnrs would increase and so arguably the outside talent that maybe overflowing into other sports or other geographical areas, would flow into the tigers system.

You could have a draft but you would still need someone with a good eye at the club to pick the talent.

Back