3 players that can lift us towards finals

Eddie

Guys I think we have to rediscover our potency if we are going to compete in the back end of the season. We face a tough draw and with player burn out coming on our grind and defence won't keep seeing us through. Interestingly in our last 9 games we have only reached 20 points 2 TIMES. That is a little bit damning and against the better sides we are going to have to score 4+ tries a game to get the chocolates.

I think 3 of our more explosive players in Keith Galloway, Benji Marshall and Lote Tuqiri have have quiet of late. I am notsaying they are having poor seasons however these are the sorts of big names that can lift and take our game back up a notch in attack.

Big Keith needs to start leading the pack again. We have relied to heavily on the grind and tireless work of Heighto and Ellis. Time for our biggest forward to start making his mark again. One big shoulder charge per game and 2 decent charges is not enough. He was dominated by a strong Dragons pack and Canberra pack. Obviously he has had time out with injury and needs to be cut a bit of slack. However leaders like Petero slot straight back in after injuries and churn out big yards. Galloway was a big liability around the ruck on Friday and looked well short of a gallop. Forget about rep footy and start making 150 yards a game and give our pack some aggression. We have been lacking impact over the advantage line and Big Keith is one of the only ones capable of providing that.

Not sure what has happened to Benji. He lit up the competition at the back end of last season and the first month of 2010\. However he seems to have gone back into his old woes. Wildly inconsistent kicking game and passing game and just recently some average tackling. I don't expect him to dominate every game but i do expect that after a 2 year spell without injury control in his game. If he can re-disdcover his swagger it adds an extra 2 tries or 10 points to our team each week in my opinion and that will be added against the better sides.

Lote has been having a good season and been a great signing overall as predicted. I think he has been a little dissapointing of late with his runs and his handling. Not sure if it a lack of fitness or being burnt out after coming off the back of 18 months straight of footy without a proper off season. I think he has the ability to come in fiend a bit more and add something to out attack maybe from set plays. Or at least start our sets off with some better charges out of dummy half or off kick returns. Be probably too much to ask for the Tigers to land some bombs on the goal line for our big winger to attack although most other teams in the NRL find this easy.

Not really bagging these guys, however I think they are all capable of having big end of season that can give our team a different dimenesion. The other players I have not mentioned are either player at a strong level (Farah, Lawrence, Heighto, Ellis) or not really capable of going up another notch. The 3 i mentioned are 3 of our more explosive players and ones of rep quality at their best.

THis Friday night would be a great start. It is a huge match for us. They are missing their best 3 players and we must take advantage. Lose here and that is 2 in a row and the pressure internally and externally will come given our failures of the past 4 seasons. If we can be put in a really strong win this Friday I really can't see us missing the finals, however go 8-7 and we are right back in the scrap with a poor history and a tough draw.

Mate great post strongly agree, however i think your a tad harsh on lote, he's made a few errors in last few games and could tidy up his handling; but he is a winger, and the position he is been played at doesn't enable him to be a game breaker.

Id like to see farah put a bit more of a effort in; sure i know he has alot of defensive work, and is probably still having some niggling injuries but most games he starts like a house on fire, goes missing the second 20 (possibly sheens fail rotations) then will pop up again around the 60 minute mark?

Rather than talk about the obvious (farah, marshall, heigno etc…) ive picked three other players that can lift us towards the finals.
\
\
**Chris Lawrence** - noticed something interesting regarding lawrence against st george as opposed to the last few weeks - He took the line on and took players on and looked strong, where in weeks previous, he looked like a bridesmaid in attack. (canberra game - beat his centre passed to tuquiri to early and put ball into touch - dragons game - ran through soward took the fullback on, THEN passed to tuqiri for a blazing try.

It's almost as if he had a dash of confidence back. He keeps that confidence rising, and there will be absolutely no doubt he'll be in a Blue Jersey Next year.

**Wade Mckinnon** - A Strange Choice sure, but he is exactly what the doctor ordered - provided he can go 80 minutes. His sniffing around the ruck and attacking style should compliment the spine of our team, and add another attacking punch to our already loaded attack. He gets match fit and we score a heck of a lot of points.

**Daniel Fitzhenry -** "Much maligned" Fitzy can lift us there in one way. He's our teams version of a band-aid. In the real world of 1st Grade Rugby League people get injured. Fitzy can competently play 1-7, 13, and 9, and has shown repeatedly that he is dependable at the back, he will make hit ups when the forwards are tired, and will just keep trying and trying and trying. He's not as highly rated as say, Nathan Hindmarsh, but if you ask me (and i'm sure i'll get grief for this) Fitzy is a stack more useful as he can cover more positions.

If he keeps firing, and lifts the Jack of all Trades will be an incredibly useful player as the Tigers deal with the Real problem of injuries towards round 26.

Great post !

I watched back the Eels game from round 3 this year last night, i had forgotten what a massive difference Moltzen made to the team…. he wasnt flash or anything but he kept the structure when we had the ball which pushed Benji wide which is exactly where he needs to play for us to look fluid. I was well impressed and again convinced he is our long term #7 !

@underdog said:
**Wade Mckinnon** - A Strange Choice sure, but he is exactly what the doctor ordered - provided he can go 80 minutes. His sniffing around the ruck and attacking style should compliment the spine of our team, and add another attacking punch to our already loaded attack. He gets match fit and we score a heck of a lot of points.

Definitely. A couple of games playing the full 80 will see him come into some even better form. He wouldn't have got run down last week if he wasn't fighting his way back from a hammy injury. I'm happy for him to just sniff around the ruck and engage the opposition as a support player until he regains his match fitness. No point in him doing himself an injury early on otherwise he'll be useless.

have we put one bomb up for lote all year?

from memory we have only scored one try off a bomb, danielas try off luis bomb against the warriors. most other teams score at least a try a week off a towering bomb.

@Chris said:
who in our team can kick a decent bomb?

Before the souths game, i saw Lui put up the biggest bombs ive ever seen. If he can do it in a game then he'll cause a lot of trouble

@fergiefurr said:
have we put one bomb up for lote all year?

from memory we have only scored one try off a bomb, danielas try off luis bomb against the warriors. most other teams score at least a try a week off a towering bomb.

I'd be putting them up for Ryan too, he can get some air.

Back