ASSESSMENT OF OTHER NRL TEAMS

wests4ever

I believe I have an extremely asute mind when assessing a players talents in relation to Rugby League.
Here is my assessment of all 16 NRL Teams.
TIGERS- THE BEST "ALL ROUND STRONGEST TEAM BY A MILE"!!!!!!!!!!!! :wahoo: :sign:
Melbourne- all round strong team-only real competition to Tigers. :pray:
St George- competitive at best. :master:
Parra- really very pedestrian at best. :master:
Canterbury- shutdown Kimmorley they are ordinary. :supporter:
Titans- shutdown Prince/Bird they are very ordinary. :master:
MANLY- ORDINARY,ORDINARY,ORDINARY. :deadhorse:
Souths- solid forwards-nuffy backs at best. :supporter:
NEWCASTLE- VERY ORDINARY ACROSS THE PARK. :deadhorse:
Canberra- ordinary pack/no depth. :master:
Penrith- good pack/will compete. :supporter:
Cronulla- the laughing stock of the league!!!!!!!All nuffys. :deadhorse:
Rooters- competitive at best. :master:
Cowboys- competitive at best. :supporter:
Broncos- competitive at best. :supporter:
Warriors- the secondest most team full of nuff nuffs!!!!!!!!!!!! :deadhorse:
WESTS4EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not giving too much love to the other sides are ya lol

For me..

Melbourne: Well trained outfit and very solid across the park. I don't know the stats, but they seem to be very lucky regarding injuries to key players. Consistency is the key to the NRL given that all the squads (well at least 80% have a solid side) and they are a side who make few mistakes. Mix in minimal injuries and they will be tough to beat again this season.
Finish: 1st

Broncos: Will struggle this season imo. Henjak doesn't seem to get the most out of the guys up there and they have some very lazy forwards. Wallace is a gun at club level but chokes at rep level… so they get a big tick there. Hunt leaving will take a lot of sting out of their backline and with blokes like Michaels in the center... they'll miss the 8.
Finish: 9th

Warriors: Possibly the worst side i have seen for years! Well at least on paper. Wooden spooners for sure.
Finish: 16th

Cowboys: Last night played a lot better than the Bronco's and i thought should have one! They rely far too much on Thurston when Bowen isn't there. That said... as long as Thurston stays fit... they have the potential to beat any side when they fire. Should finish just in or out the eight again.
Finish: 7th

Roosters: People whinge about our team selections and players not having a position locked in... Have a lot of strike power for a change as the last 2 seasons all their attack consisted of was a Pearce or Anasta bomb... boring and ineffective in today's game. Now they have Carney... they have a brilliant runner and reader of the game. If he stays of the sauce and out of trouble he'll improve this side ten fold! I think they have the possibility to sneak in the eight and will surprise a lot of people!
Finish: 8th

Sharks: Won't finish in the eight, but could sneak in. They have a defensive outfit to frustrate many sides! They will struggle to put on points, but so will the sides who play them... in wet weather, will be hard to beat imo. A side many of the 'experts' have written off, but i am keen to see how they go.
Finish: 10th

Penrith: I thought Souths backline was abysmal... these guys aren't far behind. These guy might be able to frustrate other sides, but when it comes to back to back wins... will struggle.
Finish 14th

Canberra: Once they get TLL back... will have a on of the most versatile and hardest hitting forwards in the game! Galea will dominate at the Raiders if he is given more minutes. They have been crippled with injuries the last two seasons and if they stay injury free... and top eight finish is very realistic.

Eels: OVER-RATED! I don't think they were lucky (you don't win 8/9 games at seasons end because you are lucky), you make your own luck. They don't perform well under pressure and only started playing well when everyone had given up hope (what game was it where only 2500 people showed up at Para stadium last season? They dodged the number and said 3500 went...). Now the pressure is on and they will fade away. Their salary cap seems to be double that of any other side in the NRL, if they don't win the comp this season... they won't come close in the next 4\. Should finish in the eight... but not top 4.
Finish: 6th

Newcastle: Sometimes a mediocre side can be a good thing. No egos and no big names to rely on. They struggle without Gidley (but most teams do without their playmakers) but are a side with a lot of animal in them imo. Play for each other and dig deep (unlike Souths and the Eels). That said... no chance of a top eight finish, but will upset a few sides through the season.
Finish: 15th

Manly: Solid outfit and strong forwards. Watmough is a gun and as long as you have a supporting playing like Stewart running of the damage this bloke causes... you will put on points. Orfords departure will be interesting and without him steering the ship... who knows. Foran might step up, but i doubt it. Top eight finish, could push into the 4.
Finish: 5th

Souths: What salary cap? Big strong forwards will bash their way to a few victories...but there is no use get the ball up to the oppositions end when you don't have the backs to score. They have the **WORST** halfback in the comp and every side knows it. Won't make the eight, but will have a string of wins at the tail of the season to get their gumby fans moaning about how jason taylors to blame (I know he is no longer their coach lol)...
Finish: 12th

Dogs: Had a dream draw last season, still a solid outfit and will get in the eight. I have always thought of Kimmorley as an ok player... but his form last season was brilliant and was the best I have seen from him. Top eight for sure... will do very well to get in the top 4.

Titans: No injuries and they will be top four! Very solid side and prince is the BEST halfback in the world. When you have bird outside him and campbell at fb... you have options left, right and everywhere else! However... no depth! Injuries will see them struggle to make the top 4.. but should still get in the eight.
Finish: 4th

Dragons: Another solid and well trained squad! Very disciplined (under bennett) and Hornby is really looking to show up a few know-it-alls as he starts to look the goods at half-back. Loosing Fien last night is a huge blow though as he is a very versatile player to have. Should finish in the eight, probable top 4.
Finish: 3rd

Tigers: Trying to remove the black, gold and white goggles... (nope.. they don't seem to budge). Best all-round side! We have more depth than any other side (although I don't know about the other sides fringe players as much as i do the tigers). Our backline is one of the best backlines i have seen in the last 10 years! The sooner TNT comes back the better! Anything outside the eight will hurt more than it has the last 3 seasons. Top four is imo what we should be expecting without injuries to key players.
Finish: 2nd

Sooo there you have... my mindless and pointless thoughts...

@Kaiser said:
Eels: OVER-RATED! I don't think they were lucky (you don't win 8/9 games at seasons end because you are lucky), you make your own luck. They don't perform well under pressure and only started playing well when everyone had given up hope (what game was it where only 2500 people showed up at Para stadium last season? They dodged the number and said 3500 went…). Now the pressure is on and they will fade away. Their salary cap seems to be double that of any other side in the NRL, if they don't win the comp this season... they won't come close in the next 4\. Should finish in the eight... but not top 4.
Finish: 6th

Completely agree about them being overrated. I dont think they will even make the 8 myself

@wests4ever said:
I believe I have an extremely asute mind when assessing a players talents in relation to Rugby League.
Here is my assessment of all 16 NRL Teams.

very thorough assessment …

Every team has several weak points, it's just determining what they are and how severe it is. Take souths for example, star studded forward pack, but not alot of depth, and their halves are very inconsistent.

The Broncos I think will struggle this year. They had a good start last night with several debutants/young guns making their mark but I feel the Broncos season will follow whatever path Lockyer has. He didn't look too good after the game and I'll be surprised if he sees out the season.

I won't go through all the teams but those are two examples I've taken note of

So far from what I've seen.

Broncos: Better than people are giving them credit for.
Sharks: ''
Knights: ''
Penrith: ''
Cowboys: ''
Storm: Closer to the pack than people think
Dogs: ''
Eels: ''
Dragons: Minor premiers
Canberra: Potential spooners

I haven't seen anyone else play.

I reckon the only things that are a guarantee are that Dragons will make the eight and the Raiders won't.

Melbourne: Very well drilled, and always hard to beat. You have to win it against them, they don't lose it.
Predicted finish: 1st

Dragons: Another well drilled unit. Strangle the life out of teams, and rely on the brilliance and pace of their backs to score the points. Will be right up there
Predicted finish: 2nd

Eels: Sure, they were ordinary last night, but when they click they will have lots of points in them. Their backline is unbelievably good.
Predicted finish: 4th

Tigers: Best side we've put on the field in a long time, it's time we break our top 8 hoodoo and get in their, even if we go out early, I think it's important to finally get ourselves back into September football
Predicted finish: 6th

Titans: Very strong side on paper. Bird was probably the missing link in their chain from last year. Should go well again this year, and have a side that could possibly win a few finals games
Predicted finish: 3rd

Roosters: Carney and Pearce gelled well in the trials. Smith will cut the nonsense out of their behaviour. Hargreaves is a susperstar of the future will surprise many this year.
Predicted finish: 8th

Broncos: Have lost a lot of talent, but have found some good youngsters by the look of it. They just keep pulling them out. Haven't missed the 8 in years, and won't miss it this year either.
Predicted finish: 5th

Panthers: Looked good against Canberra, but Canberra were woeful. Have some huge stars, but consistency will be the key for them. I just can't see them putting enough strong performances together to crack the 8.
Predicted finish: 9th

Warriors: Have a strong side on paper, despite the inexperienced halves. Cleary will be under pressure to get the side to fire. Last year was poor for a number of reasons, some out of their control, but they should do better this year, but whether they do is a different story.
Predicted finish 13th

Rabbitohs: have a gun forward pack, but an ordinary backline. Sutton is a very good playmaker, but Sandow has a lot to prove (in attack and defence). John Lang will work on improving their attitude, but I don't think it's enough to get them in the 8.
Predicted finish 10th

Knights: I thought they were gone, but they put on a good performance against the Dogs despite a injuries to key players, and more injuries suffered within the game. Will avoid the spoon, but won't make the 8.
Predicted finish 12th

Bulldogs: were DREADFUL against the Knights. Idris could well be hit by second year syndrome. Hazem is also a huge loss, they could've won that tonight with his boot.
Predicted finish 7th

Raiders: were diabolical tonight. Made a mid table team look like world beaters. Will struggle, but won't run last
Predicted finish: 14th

Sharks: Need some spark in attack. They can hold teams to under 20 points I think, but don't have the attack to put 20 on. Will struggle again this year.
Predicted finish: 16th

Cowboys: Never deliver anything. Apart from a brilliant 15 minute spell by Thurston, got towelled up by a mediocre Brisbane team. Will slip even further this season
Predicted finish: 15th

Manly: Orford is not as big a loss as he's made out to be. I think Foran is a good young player, but I'm not sure him and Lyon are the halves pairing to lead them to September. Neither strike me as an organisor. Stewart may play the whole year which will give them much needed spark in attack, and Watmough is coming off a brilliant 2009.
Predicted finish 11th

geez wests 4 ever u stole my thoughts i have watched the other sides and thought how ordinary the standard of players they have . Based on POTENTIAL we have a top 3 side as a minimun if u look at alot of the sides they have about 5-8 really sharp players and then the rest have nothing and the tigers have strength and POTENTIAL all over the field it makes me think that we are in major salary cap stress compared to other sides . But as we no potential means nothing on the field . I know its round 1 but did anyone fear playing the melbourne storm i no thye have injuries but they should of had 30 put on them cos sharks were committed but had nothing , chris lawrence will tear dane nielson a new one ?

@wests4ever said:

I believe you have NFI whatsoever. You are blinded by bias and this "astute assessment" is but a joke.

With utter crap like this

at the end of your assessment shows what type of analysis this really is..

Gee you would think that he's not entitled to an opinion. I think most of what wests4ever has said is pretty accurate

@crouching_tiger said:
@wests4ever said:

I believe you have NFI whatsoever. You are blinded by bias and this "astute assessment" is but a joke.

With utter crap like this

at the end of your assessment shows what type of analysis this really is..

Ease up Turbo. OP is just showing a bit of passion, getting pumped and being positive.

Well its 6.45pm on Sunday night. Roosters have to be the dark horse - Pearce will play NSW and Carney looks very dangerous. Sandow is not up to it! Titans looked average but it was wet - if Bird and Prince fire they will be up there. The Dogs showed their stuff at the end of the second half but I think Kimmorely is over the hill so they will just make the eight. Sharks did a reasonable job against a depleted Melbourne but no hope of the eight. Parra/Stgeorge was a good game without being exciting - they will both be there in September. Brisbane/NQ each had one terrible half - I cant see either team in the eight but each a chance. Same for Raiders/Panthers but I prefer the panthers line up and Lewis at lock. SO THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME IS TOMORROW NIGHT AND I AM EXCITED. But whatever the outcome, the Tigers will make the eight this year because I will be very poor if they dont ….

the only team so far that has shown nothing is the sharks, they will get the spoon, their attack is digraceful, melbourne were there for the taking lastnight and they just dont have the finishers or creative ability to threaten the top teams my prediction they will get no more then 6 wins this year

@ron burgandy said:
the only team so far that has shown nothing is the sharks, they will get the spoon, their attack is digraceful, melbourne were there for the taking lastnight and they just dont have the finishers or creative ability to threaten the top teams my prediction they will get no more then 6 wins this year

I agree.. the sharks look directionless with the ball. Last year they struggled to put on a decent try and this year will be no different . I seen them in the bluetongue trial against us 2 weeks ago and they were ordinary with the ball. Even when they made the top 4 two years ago they got there on defence. They will once again rely heavily on defence and a good up and under otherwise the spoon is heading there way.

Tigers get in top 8
St George Choke again
Melbourne to win again in the final V Broncos
the rest doesnt matter

Latest posts

Members online

Back