Ayshford

I think you guys are being a bit harsh. He's still a young kid, certainly got good potential, I agree he could use a bit of acceleration to go with his good feet. Defensively he does have his bad moments but so did Lawrence and look at him now.

His miss on Taumata was unacceptable but I thought he more than made up for it with a try of his own and 3 linebreaks. He's not an outright speedster but unless the club has serious plans to bulk him up, I'm not sure we'll see him playing at lock. At the moment he's straight up and down like a nail and needs to put on a few kilos if he's going to move to the forwards.

Very mixed bag.

The miss was terrible and he seemed to lack pace when put into space. In his defence on the last point he is not a speed machine and he, Lote & Wade did alot of the forwards hard work during the game.

He did position his winger well and score a nice try and make good metres.

I wish we would be able to see how he at right centre and Daniella at right wing would work but that won't happen now

Just needs to work on his defence.

He breaks tackles regularly, reads the game fairly well and has an awkward running style which makes metres.

Hate living in the past but in 2005 our center pairing of Fats and Elf werent particularly fast either. Their strong point was their defence but they were far more experienced players.

He is young and has potential and for those reasons you stick with him.

I'd persist with him for now, but he needs to lift. Attack is often very good. Although with Lawrence at 5/8 Ashford has been starving Tuqiri of the ball, until last night.

His defence is what worries me. He seems to be taking the poor options at the moment and needs someone to get in his ear and tell him what to do in those situations. In the Dragons game he rushed out of the line and missed a tackle which cost us a try. Last night with Taumata he did not seem to know which way to go and again cost us a try. He’s made at least one of these poor defensive reads in each of our recent games.

He just needs someone to coach him how to read the play better in defence. If he can do that he’ll be a super player.

At the start of the year he was the best centre in the side and since his injury he has taken a while to get back into form… He is an extremely important cog in the team as the Tigers dont have a plethora of metre eating forwards he doest that for them from dummy half in the early part of the sets and is a good finisher... And for those saying he's not quick he would be one of the faster ones in the side he's right up there with Moltzen he just doesnt look like he's going fast when he is i think its more acceleration which he lacks... He would be one of the first players picked each week and rightly so

His defence is suspect.However he can break a line well in attack,has a bad habit of loose ball carry.Needs to work on defence and the ball carry could develope into a quality center…....
\
\
\
\
:sign:

Improvement in defence will come with more experience at this level. Shifted to the other side of the field to accomodate Sheens experiments wouldn't of helped either. His runs provide valuable metres when the forwards are bludging.

The kid has a big future ahead of him and is the best option of one centre spot that the club has at the moment.

To be honest there is know one better at the moment and as much as some may not like him there I dont think sheens will drop him any time soon.He can only get better with experience. :brick:

I posted this thread prematurely just after his miss on arana, letting Bowen out of the ingoal and his run down the sideline where he was chased down and showed no speed. He redeemed himself in the second half but he just doesn't have the capabilities that you would expect from a typical first grade centre.

said it a few times, worst first half, best second half.. is too slow to be a centre.. needs to put on muscle mass and make his way into the 2nd row

A real mixed bag, im happy for him to remain in the top 13\. Certainly does more positive than negative out there!

@Geo. said:
Made the Telegraph Team of the Week….

sign him up for life then…...............................................................................................................................................................................

@Poppa said:
His defence is suspect.However he can break a line well in attack,has a bad habit of loose ball carry.Needs to work on defence and the ball carry could develope into a quality center…....
\
\
\
\
:sign:

x2

i think it is because of his defense that he will not become a lock/2nd rower anytime soon.

Back