Benji Marshall begins life as Wests Tigers coach as the joint venture searches for something to believe in

Why are people so convinced that Farah will do a good job in the office
Ive always read those posts as sarcasm, he has never struck me as a bloke with too much between the ears. Maybe smarter than the average footy player but thats not any glowing endorsement. I think his family used his footy money and set him up with a restaurant back in the day and he was the face of it and then he had a tour company organised by one of his mates. Maybe thats why people think he can run a footy club, because he had a cafe and a tour group to watch soccer games?

Benji is too inexperienced plain and simple. Anyone thinking he was going to have success with our roster now or in two, three or so years are delluded. He's made some key signings but we're still long way from what roster we need to compete. Age of our squad isn't on our side either lot youngsters. Benji needs to go away to another club and learn the art of coaching from ground up. Maybe come back one day with some experience and miles under his belt.

Brad Arthur is the man we should target, Else lock up John Morris.
I reckon he’s too close to Madge in terms of his style. Not sure he’d work. Although a lot of the egg shell brigade are gone so you never know 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Ive always read those posts as sarcasm, he has never struck me as a bloke with too much between the ears. Maybe smarter than the average footy player but thats not any glowing endorsement. I think his family used his footy money and set him up with a restaurant back in the day and he was the face of it and then he had a tour company organised by one of his mates. Maybe thats why people think he can run a footy club, because he had a cafe and a tour group to watch soccer games?
What is he specailising in know?

Benji is too inexperienced plain and simple. Anyone thinking he was going to have success with our roster now or in two, three or so years are delluded. He's made some key signings but we're still long way from what roster we need to compete. Age of our squad isn't on our side either lot youngsters. Benji needs to go away to another club and learn the art of coaching from ground up. Maybe come back one day with some experience and miles under his belt.
To his credit,Benji has indeed attracted some quality talent which we otherwise may have missed
But as the weeks go by,its increasingy transparent he lacks the experience and skill set to improve individual and team performances
If it wasnt for commitments made to Luai and Turuva,I reckon he wld toss it in at the end of THIS year
He cld make similiar $$ from Foxtel etc without anything like the commitment and media scrutiny and constant disappointment..and have a much better life quality

Billy Slater zero coaching experience - quality playing group - now most wanted.
Writing off Benji a little early.
Maguire premiership winning coach was apparently past it when he failed - now current SOO coach.
How about both not the big problem.
Bellamy and Robinson both long serving with level of success because it's the roster that is held accountable for failure.
Until we get to that point turning over coaches is throwing money down the drain experienced or not.

Billy Slater zero coaching experience - quality playing group - now most wanted.
Maguire premiership winning coach was apparently past it when he failed - now current SOO coach.
Bellamy and Robinson both long serving with level of success because it's the roster that is held accountable for failure.
Until we get to that point turning over coaches is throwing money down the drain experienced or not.
Think it will be Benji knocking down OUR front door to bail tbh...just after hes politely knocked on Foxtels door!
Coaching a cple of games of rep football..bringing highly developed players together into a cohesive team..is wildly different from developing young players and getting everybody up fo 30 weeks in a season.
Its the only way i can explain Madges success at Souths,with a team of established and i might say..very good..players.Ditto NZ
Same for Billy ...altho Billy struck me as a more thinking and strategic player than Benji,and may have a very real chance of success at club level,particularly with a strong team
The entire appointment process and selection of Benji was frustratingly farcical,and was always gonna end in tears..the queston is when and $$..and most importantly..who is next
Hopefully Richo has found the answers in UK

Think it will be Benji knocking down OUR front door to bail tbh...just after hes politely knocked on Foxtels door!
Coaching a cple of games of rep football..bringing highly developed players together into a cohesive team..is wildly different from developing young players and getting everybody up fo 30 weeks in a season.
Its the only way i can explain Madges success at Souths,with a team of established and i might say..very good..players.Ditto NZ
Same for Billy ...altho Billy struck me as a more thinking and strategic player than Benji,and may have a very real chance of success at club level,particularly with a strong team
The entire appointment process and selection of Benji was frustratingly farcical,and was always gonna end in tears..the queston is when and $$..and most importantly..who is next
I wouldn't underestimate Benji,
but at the same time there is nothing mildly close with this club in its current state to support any coach who aims to be successful in the short term. Fans have rightly lost patience, but the reality is this was never going to be a quick fix on the back of removing or replacing any coach who was prepared to take it on - and I believe plenty were not prepared to.

I wouldn't underestimate Benji,
but at the same time there is nothing mildly close with this club in its current state to support any coach who aims to be successful in the short term. Fans have rightly lost patience, but the reality is this was never going to be a quick fix on the back of removing or replacing any coach who was prepared to take it on - and I believe plenty were not prepared to.
Flanno wld have taken it..and whilst less than perfect choice in many ways..we should have taken him

I understand that Benji has a roster that just doesn't have as many super talents as some of the other teams
I also see Benji wants to see effort and is happy when he gets it
However what is not excusable is that we cannot match so many teams who run faster for longer .We are not fit enough that is we run out of gas around 65 min mark and our line speed doesn't match
Dolphins set was 5 runs 80 m almost every time
We start 10m back and wait for them not going forward to meet them
Its a familiar story the other team runs harder and faster for longer
Benji had the entire pre season to get the core say 20 of the 30 supremely fit but seems they are NOT !
When you are constantly backpedalling that's when errors and the discipline or .lack of causes all our problems
Where I do sympathise is when he's forced to pick players who are just not up to NRL standard ! For this I partly blame the harsh MRC/Judiciary

Flanno wld have taken it..and whilst less than perfect choice in many ways..we should have taken him
Dragons side was far better than ours on paper at least.

Flanno would have struggled with us too. Given Griffins previous stints at other clubs, he seems to rub players up the wrong way. I don't think the issue at Dragons was the player talent.

We have a serious drop in quality when injuries or suspension hit. After 10 rounds, the better teams start to gel and have their systems down. We remain perpetually in trial mode.

We are 5 starting quality players short of a competitive side.

Prop
2 x back row
Lock
Winger

Bench
Sam Fainu
Twal
Pole
Latu Fainu

We've got some work to do in the transfer market because our juniors are not ready to make the step up yet for 2025.

Reports that Benjis just headed off on a family holiday this morning.

wtf?!

Dragons side was far better than ours on paper at least.

Flanno would have struggled with us too. Given Griffins previous stints at other clubs, he seems to rub players up the wrong way. I don't think the issue at Dragons was the player talent.

We have a serious drop in quality when injuries or suspension hit. After 10 rounds, the better teams start to gel and have their systems down. We remain perpetually in trial mode.

We are 5 starting quality players short of a competitive side.

Prop
2 x back row
Lock
Winger

Bench
Sam Fainu
Twal
Pole
Latu Fainu

We've got some work to do in the transfer market because our juniors are not ready to make the step up yet for 2025.
I put together a competitive top 30 that is realistic and reasonable, cost wise.

A few heads had to depart but this is what I came up with...

1. Jahream Bula
2. Sunia Turuva
3. Justin Olam
4. Tim Lafai *
5. Israel Leota *
6. Lachlan Galvin
7. Jerome Luai
8. Xavier Willison *
9. Api Koroisau (C)
10. Alex Twal
11. Samuela Fainu
12. Sitili Touponua *
13. Tallis Duncan *

BENCH:
14. Latu Fainu
15. Royce Hunt *
16. Alec Tuitavake *
17. Fonua Pole

EXTENDED SQUAD:
18. Tallyn Da Silva (Hooker)
19. Sione Fainu (Prop)
20. Alex Seyfarth (Utility)
21. Luke Lualilii (Wing)
22. Josh Feledy (Centre)
23. Preston Riki (Prop) *
24. Selumiela Halasima (Backrow) *
25. Tony Sukkar (Backrow)
26. Solomon Faatape (Centre)
27. Jordan Miller (Prop)
28. Matty Nicholson (Backrow) *
29. Justin Matamua (Lock)
30. Ali Leiataua (Centre) *

DEVELOPMENT:
Haemasi Makisini (Centre)
Alex Lobb (Wing)
Heath Mason (Fullback)
Will Craig (Wing)
Lachlan Broederlow (Backrow)

Last edited:
Yep. Wait till we’re not the pre season wooden spoon favourites before we judge the coaching. We’re probably going about par on what most experts expected.

Noticed Benji Marshall has deactivated his instagram...

Wonder what the motive behind that is.

Noticed Benji Marshall has deactivated his instagram...

Wonder what the motive behind that is.
WT fans come after halves and coaches, no matter how bad the rest of the squad. Took a leaf out of Brooksy’s book.

The storm player I would want is Cooper Cronk. The way he thinks and looks at players, I reckon he would pick up a stack of little things players are doing wrong.

Slater would turn the pressure dial to 11. He knows the Melbourne system and he lives it.
Unsure if he could replicate the same culture in Sydney. I suspect instead he would rather coach Melbourne.

It will take Benji time to develop as a coach and probably the same time to build a squad. He has the ability to attract players sometimes that’s more important for a battling club. Richo will pull the trigger if it’s not working but I’d suggest he’s the man at least until the end of next year.

I think he will surprise people in the long run. Smart dude knows the game and has the right personality for the job.

Usually CEOs cut bait with previous appointments but it makes no sense until he has some players to work with.

Back