Staff member
Forum Leader
BENJI PROUD TO BE CALL TO ARMS AMBASSADOR
8/06/2010 4:47:12 PM
>
![](http://i50.tinypic.com/2dl7ibt.jpg)
>
>
Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall is proud to be the club’s ambassador for the annual Call To Arms match to help raise awareness of cancer in men.
>
For the third consecutive year, Wests Tigers have staged the Call To Arms campaign with The Cancer Council.
>
The success of the campaign has led to the NRL One Community team to now take the Call to Arms program on as a charity partner.
>
This year’s Call to Arms match will be held at historic Leichhardt Oval on Sunday, June 20 when the Wests Tigers tackle Canberra Raiders.
>
Call To Arms is one of Cancer Council’s annual fundraising events that offers sporting groups of all ages and codes the opportunity to help raise funds and awareness for cancer in men.
>
Wests Tigers players will wear yellow armbands in the match to raise awareness. Fund-raising activities will be held at Leichhardt Oval on the day.
>
Sporting clubs are invited to hold a Call To Arms match during July (or another time in their season) where players wear a yellow armband in a show of support to men with cancer, survivors, and those who have lost their lives.
>
Clubs can also run fund-raising activities with proceeds going towards the Cancer Council's men's cancer research, prevention, information and support services.
>
Marshall said he was proud to be the Wests Tigers Call to Arms ambassador after losing his father in New Zealand to cancer last year.
>
“A lot of people don’t realise that one in two men in Australia will be diagnosed with cancer before the age of 85\. It could be your best mate or a team member. In my case – it was my father,” Benji said.
>
Marshall encourages Wests Tigers members and fans to support the club by taking part in the day’s fundraising activities or by donating through the Wests Tigers website.
>
He also invites sports teams across the country to follow Wests Tigers example and get involved in Call To Arms.
>
“Start to plan your Call To Arms match now. Pick a date in July or at another time during the season,’’ Marshall said.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=26587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Links found here to donate to this worthy cause….

Well done Wests Tigers....Onya Benji....

Perhaps they prevent cancer…. :unamused:

Nice hi jack Innk...

The bands are 100% mental ...been round for years,,,,

NSW Origin all got them but they are blue one's...

When Benji puts black and gold tape around his writst's they are Tigerbands...

@Geo. said:
Perhaps they prevent cancer…. :unamused:

Nice hi jack Innk...

The bands are 100% mental ...been round for years,,,,

NSW Origin all got them but they are blue one's...

When Benji puts black and gold tape around his writst's they are Tigerbands...

The ones the NSW players had on in game 1 must of been Marshmellow :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

For my money, those bands are an absolute joke. Can not believe they have gone mainstream.

Light hearted story on the p'bands in the league liftout todays DT…mentioned benji is promoting them and I guess why he's wearing them everywhere

![](http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/5300/c2a.jpg)

Its a sham of the highest order.

This is how it works….

Power Balance give guys like Shaq, Rubens Barrichello and many others a big bag full of money to wear their product. Journalists will write about these people wearing them in the paper. People will see them using them while doing their thing. Chuck in a few shonky stats in the mix and you have yourself a nice little cash cow. Every second rate/weekend athlete and sportsman in the world looking for a legal edge will buy these little bits of plastic and metal for 50/60/80 bucks a pop. Its pretty much the 'Scientology' of Sports Science. Instead of using Movie stars to get people on board they use big name athletes.

These guys originally started out in America in the 90's as "QT Inc." trying to flog "ionized bracelets" to be used for the relief of arthritis and back pain. A few years back they had to pay back millions to people in ill gotten gains. They've cunningly moved into the sporting realm and changed the idea from fixing back pain to improving sporting performance. Which for me isn't too much of a bad thing because sports-people have used lucky charms for as long as sport has existed. Why not get in there and make a quid out of their superstitions?

I think its very likely that Benji started out just wearing them for the sake of them... but is now in cahoots with these people... Which isn't too much of a bad thing as long as no one gets too carried away with it.

And that relates to Call to Arms how…...

If you want to start an Amazing Tigerbands...Real or Myth? thread...

By all means do...

Stick to the topic of raising awareness for men's cancer please...

See Innk...

Good on ya benji! I lost my father to cancer too, so I'm fully behind this! As should everyone!

Back