Benji says no to SBW's Toulon spot

TIGERS

**Benji says no to SBW's Toulon spot**

http://www.smh.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ADRIAN PROSZENKO
June 13, 2010

BENJI MARSHALL has knocked back an approach to replace Sonny Bill Williams as a marquee import at French rugby powerhouse Toulon.

Toulon boss Mourad Boudjellal is on the lookout for another big-name recruit after Williams turned his back on a record $6 million, three-year offer to chase his dream of representing the All Blacks at next year's World Cup.

Not content with an imposing roster containing superboot Jonny Wilkinson, Wallabies great George Smith, All Blacks front-rower Carl Hayman and Springboks flanker Joe van Niekerk, big-spending Boudjellal made a play for Wests Tigers ace Marshall during the week.

''We had an approach from a third party who said he had been mandated by Toulon to talk to me about my client Benji Marshall,'' said Marshall's manager, Martin Tauber. ''It came in by email on Monday. They are obviously hunting for talent worldwide.''

It's not the first time Marshall has been linked to rugby union. The New Zealand captain, who recently re-signed with the Tigers until the end of 2015, has previously been the subject of interest from Japanese and French clubs. At one stage Tigers officials were prepared to allow Marshall to spend an off-season playing rugby in Japan as part of re-signing negotiations, but the move was vetoed by NRL CEO David Gallop.

Tauber was flattered by the approach from the Top 14 club but stressed his star client was happy at the Tigers and would fulfil his obligations to the club.

''There's no way in the world he'd go, he's staying with rugby league,'' he said. ''I've already told the chairman of the club [David Trodden] and [recruitment manager] Warren McDonnell about it as a courtesy but assured them that Benji won't be going anywhere.''

Williams's successful switch from league to union has piqued the interest of cashed-up overseas rugby clubs, which will continue to monitor the NRL for potential recruits. Williams, Craig Wing, Craig Gower, Luke Rooney, Fraser Anderson and Mark Gasnier have all made the switch with varying degrees of success, although the latter is expected to announce a return to St George Illawarra shortly.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens was unaware of the approach to Marshall until The Sun-Herald told him.

''He's contracted to us and he's happy, so it's not a real big issue for us,'' Sheens said.

The salary-cap crisis engulfing the Storm could force several marquee players on to the open market. Storm superstar Greg Inglis, who has already fielded an approach from AFL club Essendon, could be the next target on Toulon's radar.

''Elite players will always be in demand,'' former Wallabies coach John Connolly said. ''Unfortunately for rugby league the same sort of money just isn't available here. Any player who comes off contract, whether it be rugby union or rugby league, will be open for offers.

''It's a different landscape now.''

Glad that this Rugby nonsense won't drag on now that Benji has come out straight away and said "no".

Benji really is a great club man. The bloke gets smashed by the media, injuries and sometimes even the supporters and still isn't interested by bigger money and new opportunities elsewhere. The same can be said about Robbie.

We really are a lucky group of supporters to have those 2 fellas leading our team into the future.

To not even consider the offer shows how committed he is to this club. You can't help but respect the guy.

what do they mean by SBW "successful" transition to union? hes missed half the games through injury and really hasnt done alot in what id call a second rate competiton when compared to other union leagues around the world

2M a year to play Rugby. Just goes to show how piddly the NRL is in relation to world Rugby Code's. I suppose you only need to look at the list of Sponsors in their competition compared to ours…

But, I suppose we still have PASSION and LOYALTY :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Shows Sonny Bill is actually not about money, knocked back $6000,000 over 3 seasons to pursuit his dreams with the All Blacks. Great stuff from Benji aswell.

Benji's time of dominance in NRL has not yet come.
it will and he will prove to all that he is a truly great player.
he will be held in esteem the same way Darren Lockyer is.

If Benji was offered 6m and knocked it back he's crazy, i'd be on the next jet with my beret my baguette, french stick, croissant and map to get to the Eiffel tower.

@Tiger Watto said:
2M a year to play Rugby. Just goes to show how piddly the NRL is in relation to world Rugby Code's. I suppose you only need to look at the list of Sponsors in their competition compared to ours…

But, I suppose we still have PASSION and LOYALTY :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah….that and the fact that all these countries with high paying sports have populations that are just a little bigger than ours.

Anybody who tries to compare our competiton with one overseas is a moron.

Rugby league is a regional game. A regional game that when treated accordingly, can be successful. The sooner morons like Murdoch realise this, and the sooner the mercenary QLD players are put in their place, the game will be better for it.

@TheSunTanSuperman said:
@Tiger Watto said:

Yeah….that and the fact that all these countries with high paying sports have populations that are just a little bigger than ours.

Anybody who tries to compare our competiton with one overseas is a moron.

Rugby league is a regional game. A regional game that when treated accordingly, can be successful. The sooner morons like Murdoch realise this, and the sooner the mercenary QLD players are put in their place, the game will be better for it.

the reason clubs like toulon can pay 6 million is because they are privatly owned by 1 person or a consordium of people, they get around 5-10k peopl at their games max its private investors money that enables them to pay that much..nothing else…..

Onya Benji.

I'd like to see some sanctions put in place by the gutless NRL for players jumping codes. I don't have a problem with them going for the dough, but I have a problem with them coming back. Hunt and Folau especially should have their card stamped "never to play in the NRL again".

Having said that, the AFL are in for a rude shock re Folau. They seem to think he's well thought of out in Sydney's west, they couldn't be more wrong.

@coop said:
Onya Benji.

I'd like to see some sanctions put in place by the gutless NRL for players jumping codes. I don't have a problem with them going for the dough, but I have a problem with them coming back. Hunt and Folau especially should have their card stamped "never to play in the NRL again".

Having said that, the AFL are in for a rude shock re Folau. They seem to think he's well thought of out in Sydney's west, they couldn't be more wrong.

you think the the AFL signed Folau and Hunt for their Foot ball skills? u think the AFL is chasing Inglis for his football skills?..

This is nothing more then publicity for the new teams and with Inglis it would be promoting the Vic Teams…

YOu will find that Hunt and Folau will not play 1st grade with their respective clubs... its all about the publicity

@TIGER said:
If Benji was offered 6m and knocked it back he's crazy, i'd be on the next jet with my beret my baguette, french stick, croissant and map to get to the Eiffel tower.

i think if money was all that playing sport was about for benji he would have left australia ages ago, sonny bill left for the money and now everyone in Australia thinks he's a grub, benji has rejected offers recently and signed with the one club for his career practically,

which one would you rather be? loved by fans and held with great sporting respect in both australia and nz or have more money but be dispised as a greedy grub?

@BrissieTiger67 said:
@TIGER said:

i think if money was all that playing sport was about for benji he would have left australia ages ago, sonny bill left for the money and now everyone in Australia thinks he's a grub, benji has rejected offers recently and signed with the one club for his career practically,

which one would you rather be? loved by fans and held with great sporting respect in both australia and nz or have more money but be dispised as a greedy grub?

Once your footy career is over you'd be surprised how quickly you and the details of your playing career are forgotten. Nice guys finish last! i would rather retire and well and truely set up my grandchildrens future financially than be remembered as loyal. Don't get me wrong money and material things in life don't mean much to me i've never had much of it and probably never will but an opportunity like that would be silly to pass up for the simple fact that my childrens children would never have to worry financially and could do a lot more than i had the opportunity to do (travel the world experience the world) i don't see it as being a greedy grub more just taking your opportunities and preparing for life after football. I say take what you can when you can and have no regrets.

I agree Tiger… We cant have it both ways. Either we want them to be 'Professional Athletes' or we want them to be 'Footballers'.

Professional Athletes will go where the money is and ensure financial security. They will act in a manner which is deemed acceptable by society as society is paying them to be that way.
or
Footballers will be loyal to thier mates/club, and act like everday joes. This means they can urinate in pot plants at pubs, chat up a few birds, maybe score around the corner and if anyone puts crap on their mates, punch them in the face...

You cant have it both ways!!!

Me, I got sacked from my club for being a Footballer :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

@tigeress said:
Hey, Coop do you object to Lote Tuqiri jumping codes, and returning !

Absolutely.

I'd much rather he'd been left to rot in Union.

Back