Brisbane - could they finally miss the finals?

Juro

Could this be the year that Brisbane finally miss out on finals football again? They have made the finals every year since 1992, only ever missing 3 years since they entered the comp in 1988.

It has been an amazing run, but all runs like this will eventually come to an end (like the Aussies will probably lose to England at Lords this weekend). Surprise losses like against Parra and Cronulla, then that big loss against Souths last night, could be enough to make them miss out. With Wayne Bennett gone, they have seemed to have lost that winning edge this year. Now they have lost Lockyer with injury for a couple of weeks. Not sure how long Thaiday will be out too.

Looking at the table, they are sitting in 7th place at the moment with the possibility of falling to 9th by the end of the round. Their for and against is -65, the 5th worst at the moment. Their points against is 420, the 2nd worst at the moment. Also, their average points against for the year is 24.7, which is worse than any of their previous seasons. Their previous worst for the regular season is 22.2 in 2002.

They SHOULD have missed out in 2007, of course, but we managed to lose to Newcastle in the final round and they leapfrogged us into 8th place.

I was thinking after posting, letting in 24.7 per game doesn't sound that bad, if you're the Wests Tigers. So I had a look at our defensive record.

Worst year: 2001 (28.7)
Best year: 2009 (22.1)
Best full year: 2004 (22.3)

Amazing that after all the complaints after the first month or two about our defense, we are actually headed to our best year yet…

Not missing the finals since 1992, its an amazing record when you think about it, considering we have made it once in 10 years lol.

I think they'll make it, no more Origin or rep footy to take the focus away from here on in.

Pretty easy to make the finals nearly every year when your quality players stick around because "fans" give them big wads of cash to stick around. I'm sure we would have made a few more finals series if we had "fans" like that.

@Tap Twist Snap said:
Pretty easy to make the finals nearly every year when your quality players stick around because "fans" give them big wads of cash to stick around. I'm sure we would have made a few more finals series if we had "fans" like that.

I think the coach has a lot to do with it 2 mate, its no surprise that the first time since 1992 that they look like possibly missing the finals is the same year that Bennett has left…

They are going to do it tough to make it from here. They might have had a few out last night but letting Souths run all over you on your home track is not a good sign.

They don't have the same toughness or brilliance across the park that they used to. Defensively they are a weaker team than in previous years too.

This is exactly what i was thinking. they were lucky in 2007 ( getting a spot ahead of us ) but this year their run possibly might end

The fans won't care. They'll just jump over to the Titans bandwagon.

My dream is a finals series with no Qld teams (or melbourne).

They were bound to hit the wall they will lose more of their remaning games than they win…they will probably limp into the 8 because of their good record at the start of the year....They will go out at a rate of knots....

Wayne had 2 good things going for him.
1\. Respected as the best coach in the world. When the kids came through, they listened to him, Henjak doesn't boast this respect.
2\. He picks a team not individuals. Carroll covered for locky in defence, like Beau Scott covers for Soward.

@Jazza said:
Its not surprise that they have the worse defence when they sign guys like….. Ben Teo!!

:laughing: I knew i would find a post with that comment. Didnt really notice him out there last night while watching the game. Which may actually be a good thing for him (Not making any errors).

considering their draw;
titans
raiders
sharks
panthers
dragons
cowboys
raiders

and the fact that they will have to win at least 4 of these games, im going to go ahead and say they will just miss the finals

In my latest go on the NRL ladder predictor, I have Brisbane finishing 10th, with us 9th… :cry:

@Zaibatsu said:
@Tap Twist Snap said:

I think the coach has a lot to do with it 2 mate, its no surprise that the first time since 1992 that they look like possibly missing the finals is the same year that Bennett has left…

And you can just see Bennett hoping that they do miss the finals & St George go deep so he can again be lauded the greatest coach…

if they are good enough, they will make it.we have seen how they perform without, their playmakers.
not very well. Broncos are not going to be the dominant team/force they once were.
then listen to them whinge about how NRL is against them. :laughing:

Brisbane fans are the luckiest fans in the world.

Their loyalty is unproven. Let's see their crowds in 2012 if they missed the finals in 2009, 2010, 2011.

Something tells me it won't be 37K :laughing:

Back