Bryce Gibbs and the Kick-Chase

Peaches

Bryce Gibbs 1st stint was great. About 30 minutes I believe. I want to see much more of that. He had a run in with Myers and was than looking for him. He carried the ball strong all night and shook Myers in a couple of hit-ups. I was very impressed.

The kick-chase was inconsistent. A couple of times it was top class. Kicking from your 30m line and trapping them 1m out. Other times there was a great kick and the chase somewhat nullified the kick. Campbell can be a slippery returner of the ball so I wonder whether Sheens instructed a straight line. Its an area where we can improve.

Of course Sheens would have instructed a straight line. It's another thing to do it everytime when under fatigue out there though. The kick/chase last night was very good overall though.

I think sometimes when a very good kick is put in, the chasers can sometimes relax and the chase is very slack, but in saying that, sometimes it has the opposite affect where if a good kick is put in, the chasers lift so that they really do nail the advantage.

Our kick-chase hasn't always been the best over the years, that could be because our kicking game hasn't always been the best. But I think the kick-chase is one area where they really have lifted in intensity this season, sure our kicking game has been poor but I think our kick-chase has somewhat made up for that which corresponds with our defence being so good this year.

I think our Kick-Chase overall was very good…
I was very happy with the way the boys got together and didnt panic & stuck in there for eachother...

it was a true semi final game...IMO

Gibbs played very well, and has been going pretty good.

However, he's not the leader he should be. I'll just make this clear, I won't drop him. But he is a bit of a grub. After that stuff with Meyers, the Titans wanted to hit the Tigers strong, particularly Gibbs. He got the ball 2 out from the ruck straight after the spat with Meyers and instead of hitting it up like a man, he hands it off to one of the youngest blokes on the field, Dwyer, just before the Titans defensive line.

Sure we need a player who can get under the skin of the opposition, but he should at least be able to take it back. It really annoyed me that he would throw Dwyer in the deep end like that. Dwyer, of course, got hammered. It's not the sort of thing you'd like to see with one of your more experienced players.

As for the kick-chase, yah it was up and down, but generally it was a huge improvement. The good kicking helped.

Dwyer wasn't on the field for about another 40 minutes after that spat happened.

Gibbs ran at Meyers straight after regardless of the fact the poor service meant he had to slow his run

Back