CEO - Shane Richardson

Interesting article. Remind me again, why does Stefano need time to fall in love with the Tigers again?
There’s so much bulldust floating around it’s hard to see which direction it’s coming from.
Same reason as Brooks. Talented players hate busting their arse & losing. A club that’s won 8 games out of 48 in last two years.

I think Richo would lose a bit of credibility in the league if he walks now.

And if he burns his bridges here, he will be at Souths mercy -where he doesn’t like Latrell or Pappas.

I know Richo still gets around and talks to people of all clubs as he has a lot of friends. This includes Penrith.

But we should be locking him up asap.

If they don’t like his plans, they can always go with him and change back to into a refuge for incompetents after he’s won us a gf.
Richo still pretty tight with Rusty, if Rusty wants him he will give him plenty of Arthur ash

• Haha
Reactions: BZN
Richo still pretty tight with Rusty, if Rusty wants him he will give him plenty of Arthur ash

Rusty dont make as much of the green stuff these days ..not a lot of roles around for fat old men unfortunately … Tom Cruuse getting all the cool skinny old man gigs ..

Can the NRL’s worst team finally turn itself around? (Posted in the Australian Financial Review today)

To say the Wests Tigers have underperformed over the past two decades would be an understatement.

Shane Richardson has a plan to change the team’s fortunes.

Long after the crowds are gone, and Leichhardt Oval has emptied, the rubbish that has accumulated is funnelled out of the ground through the VIP area.

The run-down facilities are the outward sign of Leichhardt Oval’s home team, the Wests Tigers, who trace their origins back to the very start of the NRL. They have been in total disarray for years.
a75f9dbc6adcf1a4435390fcebd341ea1d6c4b96

The new Wests Tigers chief executive, Shane Richardson, has turned around other NRL clubs in the past. Oscar Colman

It has been a long slide over two decades. The Wests Tigers – the result of an amalgamation between the Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies in 1999 – last won a premiership in 2005.

They last made a finals series in 2011. And despite the support of serious corporate figures – billionaire developer Harry Triguboff is a supporter, as is International Olympic Committee vice-president John Coates – their administration has been poor.

The performance of the club last season, when the Wests Tigers sank to the bottom of the ladder for a second year in a row, was the final straw.

A review, conducted by former NRL chief financial officer Tony Crawford and businessman Gary Barnier, led to the dismissal of the entire board and the resignation of the club’s long-serving chief executive, Justin Pascoe.

And it revealed plenty of issues lurking under the surface, far from the poor recruitment, retention and coaching of players that most supporters blame for the Wests Tigers’ terrible performance on the field.

Cheap sponsorship deals, misleading membership figures, and the absence of a strategy to grow its fan base have made it difficult for the club to change its fortunes – the company posted a $2.2 million loss in its latest financial year.

Wests Tigers also have the lowest amount of membership and corporate revenue of the nine Sydney-based clubs.

Now it is down largely to one man to stop the slide – and reverse it.
Shane Richardson has been here before.

The Queenslander ran South Sydney from 2004 to 2015, transforming the Rabbitohs, backed by Russell Crowe, James Packer and now Mike Cannon-Brookes – from a bottom-of-the-barrel club to premiership winners.

He made similar changes to the Penrith Panthers and Cronulla Sharks in the 1990s and early 2000s.

He comes with a no-frills – and sometimes divisive – attitude.
“Business people, they take their head off and put a pumpkin on. They think they know all about running a sports organisation,” he says.

“They want to become the players’ mates. I don’t want to ever be a player’s mate. I don’t want to go to their funerals. But I want their respect.

“These people think you should ingratiate yourself with the players and invite them to parties.”

The path back to the top is fraught.

Richardson has some grand plans. He wants to move stadiums, find new sponsors and rebuild the fan base – by making a pivot away from Leichhardt, and the storied home of the Balmain Tigers – toward the booming suburbs in Sydney’s south-west.

He is not afraid to burn some bridges to go there.

Las Vegas was a f---ing disaster, and it was a party trip for everybody,” Richardson says of the NRL’s big growth plan. “I don’t want to go. At the end of the day, it’s about the business [of the club]. I’m all about rugby league and … those little Christmas cakes don’t make any difference to the game at all.”

Former NRL chief executive David Gallop remembers the last time the Wests Tigers won the premiership.

“I remember going back to Balmain and the euphoria was next level,” he says. “It was a real-life example of the importance of the salary cap and our key strategy of running an even competition.”
3f9cb8b55cf28c4e8e46490cee0559eb65e76e00

The Wests Tigers in 2005 after winning the NRL Grand Final against the Cowboys. Craig Golding

Like similar measures in other games, the NRL’s salary cap is meant to spread out the playing talent to ensure that the wealthiest clubs don’t monopolise the competition. It is meant to keep the game embedded in the community.

The club has had seven coaches since sacking premier-winning coach Tim Sheens, with its former star player Benji Marshall taking over last year.

Whether it is poor performance, or something else, Wests Tigers’ membership – its connection to its local community – has slumped.
Last year, the club claimed to have 20,000 members. After Richardson arrived, he forced the club to correct the record.

That figure included thousands of juniors who don’t contribute any income to the club.

The real number of paying members was just 8807 – a smaller figure than 2015.

Membership revenue has barely moved in a decade. In 2015, the Wests Tigers made $1.1 million from 9347 members. Last year, despite reporting memberships of 20,119, it made $1.4 million.

“It’s not about rugby league,” Richardson says. “What does this brand stand for? The brand stands for community. You don’t buy a membership to get a ticket to sit down, it’s because you want to be part of the family.”

But membership also brings in much-needed funding. Richardson wants the number of paying members to reach 13,000 by 2025.

To achieve this, he wants to a build sophisticated database of everyone from members to anyone who has attended a match or bought Wests Tigers merchandise.

0714133577ab8b0e3ea389279aacb35554a37e7b

Richardson says there are only 15,000 in Wests Tigers’ database, compared to nearly 400,000 at the South Sydney Rabbitohs. That’s where Shaun Mielekamp, the former chief executive of the Central Coast Mariners and a former Rabbitohs executive, comes in. He’s the new general manager of community.

“Everyone who connects with the club – whether they come to a game, have gone to a community clinic, bought merchandise or entered a competition, we need to capture the data and have the right conversation,” Mielekamp says. “It’s as simple as that.”

Getting new members requires meeting new people. Mielekamp is responsible for building a fan base in Sydney’s south, where the population is booming, a strategy that began with the opening of new headquarters in Campbelltown this month.

“It’s about making a real difference in the community. That way memberships are growing … regardless of team performance,” he says. “It is troops on the ground. It’s literally every kid that shakes a hand, looks at a player, and gets inspired to be better in life.”

If Mielekamp and Richardson are successful, it will go some way to repairing the Wests Tigers’ struggling finances.

Like most clubs, it mainly makes money through grants provided by the NRL, and the proceeds of broadcast deals with Foxtel and Nine Entertainment, the owner of The Australian Financial Review.

And while it earns revenue from corporate sponsors, it remains reliant on funding from Wests Ashfield Leagues Club, which is majority-owned by Holman Barnes Group.

Arguably this is Richardson’s biggest task – improving sponsorship revenue, so the club is not reliant on its shareholders for funding.

“The business side – that was a challenge,” Mr Richardson says. “We weren’t telling the truth about where our membership was, our corporate [revenue] was the lowest level of anybody in Sydney.

“We had no plans about where we were going in the [Sydney] south-west … we just lacked direction.”

According to the Tigers’ strategic plan, released to members this month, Richardson plans to grow membership revenue from $1.3 million in 2023 to $2.2 million by the end of next year, and sponsorship revenue from $6.6 million to $8.5 million.

He is forecasting a $200,000 loss for 2025, compared to a $2.2 million loss in the 12 months to the end of October.
“We’ve been losing money, which is something I don’t want to do,”

Richardson says. “I want us to run on our own two feet. The corporate sponsorship would be 40 per cent of what Souths do.”

Richardson says there is also already interest from at least two new corporate sponsors prepared to pay market prices to have their brands on the Wests Tigers’ jersey.

Brydens Lawyers, run by the club’s former chairman, Lee Hagipantelis, is the $1 million-a-year jersey sponsor.

The deal ends this season, but Brydens has last right of refusal.

17ba8d51f63674bda9d707bc99f3091222476fb0

Lee Hagipantelis was the chairman of the Wests Tigers and runs its biggest sponsor, Brydens Lawyers. Getty

“We’ve got two sponsors interested in coming on … we’ve gone to the marketplace and upgraded all of our sponsorship to the level that it should be,” Richardson says. “You can’t just accept that if you’ve gone terrible, then business is terrible.”

Coates, a long-time Wests Tigers supporter and donor, believes Richardson is the kind of executive the club needs.

“I’ve only met him a few times … but he impresses me,” he says. “What I like is the emphasis on producing our own players. We have produced and lost players … but there is massive potential in south-west Sydney. It’s a region that should be tapped.”

Leichhardt Oval was the ground where, in April 1957, the first rugby league match was broadcast – a 12-10 win to the Balmain Tigers over Canterbury Bankstown.

In the 1970s, long before State of Origin, Leichhardt was hosting showdowns between NSW and Queensland.

Now, despite it being their home ground, the Wests Tigers barely play there. This season, only five of 12 home games will be played there, with the rest at Campbelltown Stadium and Western Sydney stadium, because of concerns about the facilities.

Richardson is threatening to pull Wests Tigers from Leichhardt, their spiritual home, altogether, if the NSW government doesn’t hand over some funding that has otherwise been earmarked for a stadium upgrade in Penrith.

He has made, and carried out, similar threats before, relocated South Sydney’s home games from Allianz Stadium at Moore Park to Accor Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park.
17a43d7c6914f8c64418e68a02af25471ed0809e

Leichhardt Oval’s changing rooms for the top players. Richardson says the stadium is not up to standard. Steven Siewert

“If you look at the great clubs, they have great stadiums. We are playing at broken down Leichhardt ... we need to play bigger stadiums to grow our crowds and our corporate side,” he says.

Coates, who was involved in the development of Campbelltown Stadium and Olympic Stadium, knows
what needs to be done.

“My heart says Leichhardt,” he says. “But the future is in the south-west, and that’s where we’ve got to take the game.”

Those grand plans face one major hurdle.

Richardson’s future. The Wests Tigers chief executive is only on a six-month contract, technically employed by another company, and in demand.
“Richo brings an unparalleled track record of building footy clubs and managing stakeholders like player agents, coaching staff, and the roster,” Gallop says.

“The growth corridor of Campbelltown-Macarthur [in Sydney’s south-west] is such a great opportunity for the future of the club while maintaining the important historical links to Balmain.”
While Richardson says he’s still discussing an extension of his contract, other clubs are circling. The Rabbitohs, for one, want him back, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

If Richardson leaves, it would almost certainly mean the end of the Wests Tigers’ long-term strategy

Wests Ashfield own 75 per cent of the club, and Balmain own the rest, but there has been plenty of animosity on the board. Pascoe, the former chief executive, says he had drafted his resignation long before the review that led to his exit because he felt hamstrung by the club’s board.

As part of the review, Wests Ashfield agreed there should be three independent directors. Who they are hasn’t been decided.

“They need to appoint the additional three independent directors,” Coates says. “Governance is a taken. You have to have a board that’s independent, particularly with all these stakeholders.”

Richardson wants to know who is he answerable to before committing to three more years. If that’s not an option, he wants a clause in place that allows him to quit if he doesn’t get autonomy.
“I’m not putting my name on the line if they’re not going appoint an independent board. Any contract I sign is about true corporate governance,” he says.

Last weekend, the Wests Tigers lost for the fourth time in six games, this time to the Penrith Panthers. The week before, the club lost to St George Illawarra Dragons in what Marshall described as the team’s worst performance of the season.

For Richardson, at least, the on-field performance is improving. “[On-field] was the easy part,” he says. “This is the hard part.”

Last edited by a moderator:
So the lid has been lifted on the "performance" of Justin and Lee and it isn't a great look. Richo has picked the scab that has covered the festering sore on our beloved football club to reveal that the financial record, administration and governance is just as bad as our decade of underperformance on the field. Given the grants that are provided by the NRL and the media, perhaps their performance is has actually been worse that our slide from premiers to two time wooden spooners.

As unpalatable as some of the decisions that are foreshadowed by Richo in this article to some - at least we are finally hearing the truth about the club. It doesn't take Einstein to figure out why we have been in such diabolical shape.

Airing the dirty laundry is another sign that we are no longer at rock bottom. There is a steep hill to climb to get us to become a top four club, both on and off the field, but I trust that HBG sort the board issues rapidly and Richo can finally build a Wests Tigers legacy from the ashes of our two foundation clubs.

what a fantastic article, wow just wow on the previous management!!! Justin being a numbers man well that doesnt look good for him to see we made a loss, the members lie is just disgraceful, Lee and Justin as seen by this article were just not up to running a football club. You can bet your bottom dollar that Lee will not be major sponsor in the future!!!

I’m an old member , haven’t been a paying member for years but after reading this im joining up today , it will be a non ticket member ship type as I’m in QLD and don’t get to games , but I will jump back on board today, love Richo and his clear clean honest work ethic , we will be come a power house over the next 5 years , just need to lock him in to his deal

The key as I understand is getting the right independent board members that back Richardson, and HBG relinquishing some control. He made it very clear any sign of pushback and he walks. And while I don't think he is the Messiah that some think he is, we need to see this through.

It's disgraceful that the former CEO just lied through his teeth about profits, memberships and corporate support. And the board just sat in the wings watching it unfold. None of them gave a crap about the club or the fans.
I feel bad for the ones who believed him, thinking we were on the right track.

pretty much doubles down on everything we know. we really need to get a wriggle on in regards to the appointment of the independent directors and Richo's contract. sort those out and we will begin to take flight.

What a great PR ploy to make HBG look like complete imbeciles if they don't extend Richo & appoint the 3 additional independent directors.

Having heavy-hitters with such credibility in sport's business as John Coates & David Gallop behind you, I feel HBG have no choice but to proceed full steam ahead with all recommendations of the review including Richo's appointment.

Well played! This is awesome! Let's enjoy the Richo / Benji era.

Back