Charlotte Dawson In Hospital

You could talk about bullying on social media and talk about The Dawson and The Robbie examples but please dont compare the two against each other.

As unpopular as it may sound they are BOTH sooks - Farah and Dawson. Charges should not be laid for what is essentially "making people upset."
\
\
\
Journos are wreaking havoc on an incredibly heightened double standard here.

The clamour for freedom of press and no censorship. They champion the underdogs who effectively slander corporate brands on a daily basis - twitter accounts which attack popular targets such as Mcdonalds, Microsoft, BP, Shell, Rio Tinto, Mining Magnates, Julia Gillard, Tony Abbott are all the rage, and even applauded by journos…

As soon as a disparaging mark was made which rubs most people the wrong way, they clamour for the cops/laws/statutes!
\
\
Robbie Farah best buds with Fatty O'Barrell? So Baz gets out there and makes a whole bunch of ridiculous statements, I read the comment made in relation to Farah's mum, and as disgraceful as it is, the so called "troll" has every right (although unpopular) to make comments as depraved as that.

I don't care if I cop it from both barrels regarding this issue - I just think we cannot have one set of "standards" so clearly on display, then all of a sudden when the press and journos don't like it, they call for draconian laws.

If you don't like it on twitter, then delete it, block it, or hey..... here's a thought.... TURN THE COMPUTER OFF.

Well said underdog. i cant tell you how many texts and calls ive gotten today about Robbie being just as much a sook off the filed as on it! Maybe i could dob them into the Cops?

Whilst its not a popular view on this forum largely due to him being the Tigers Cap. but also largely due to its now the hot idea to ban freedom of speech?? We sure can have freedom of speech…........ but only if you say nice things....huh??

I just dont get how its any different to the thousands upon thousands of incidents that have just occurred in the past 24 hours around the world where somebody has been abused due to race, sex, sexuality, religious choice, etc etc or even at the local pub in a bar fight when somebody has just slurred that they are going to do all sorts of things to your mother and sister, girlfriend etc. huh? are we supposed to go the police and dob on some guy because they said something bad to me??? huh? Is this different because someone pressed some characters on a keyboard thats probably a thousand miles away which contradicts any sort of a threat as the person could be A THOUSAND MILES AWAY and not saying rubbish to your face potentially instigating or causing bodily harm in person....huh? Surely words on a computer screen are essentially nothing....

What about all the users across the globe of social media that have had terrible things said to them or about them? They dont get a show in in the media? How are we going to create laws to stop freedom of speech?

I remember back in 2003 someone sent me a bad email, i can go find it and show the cops, maybe my case will be on the news next? In no way do i agree with any of this twit bullying rubbish (or the site itself) that was said about Robbies mother, but seriously.... turn the computer off or dont use social media. Infact just put up a waiver "If you sign up, expect some twits to go open season on your butt" Click agree or dont. Done and dusted.

As much as I hate what was said about Robs mum and the fact that people like Dawson get smashed so much they attempt suicide, the protection of freedom of speech is important.

Theres always a line crossed…..its been crossed in Robbies case imo.

Where the lines exactly are vary from individual to individual

I remember Benjis mum joined this forum when he first was graded, she didnt stay long - wisely.

One Q. UD:....did you happen to see the message in question to Robbie?

If someone says something derogatory about my family I usually hit first and let them think about it later.
This rubbish about needing to be hospitalized because someone said something nasty on a social website anonymously is rubbish. The woman is a poser, nothing more. She needs to harden up and realize that social websites are both a useful tool for communication from afar and a great danger to the current generation and the next because they believe that what happens on them is reality. It's not, its some grub hiding behind a keyboard saying what they would never have the guts to say to their face in a one on one exchange. If I post something on Facebook it's under my name and if someone doesn't like it they have the ability to take it up with me. I don't use twitter.
As parents we need to educate our kids that Facebook, Twitter and their like are not only useful but also the home of lowly cowards and general grubs and most certainly a created environment not their day to day reality. We need to control their amount of usage and certainly monitor it closely. Difficult I know but not impossible as smart phones do have parental controls. And I use them.
People who post anonymously are usually keyboard hero's who turn out to be real life cowards.
A diversion from the topic I know. Just thought I'd put in my two bobs worth.

@reyre2000 said:
If Robbie had to be hospitalised because of what some twat said on twit id be saying he represents the Tigers pretty fittingly this year, soft as butter.

Apples and Oranges, The only common factor here is twitter. This "princess" went all diva where as Robbie manned up and said he'd rip the guys freakin face off and has left some pretty nicely worded statements in the press of late. Well done Robbie. Ms Dawson has just begun to sit up in bed!…..id expect no one on this forum to compare the two flipperdy. Very disappointing.

Like I said, everybody handles things differently - who are we to judge that? You don't know people's background, what they've already been through in life to cause them to react in a certain way or what was even said to Dawson on twitter in the first instance. As far as I'm aware, she has been bombarded with vile and degrading comments about her personhood. Robbie, on the other hand, has received one comment (albeit a disgusting one) about his mother. Either way, both of these people are the victims here, neither deserved it and both need to be supported in whatever way they choose to address it. And as far as Dawson not doing anything proactive in her response - she was the one who actually brought this twitter trolling BS to the attention of the media in the first place when she was interviewed on a current affairs program. People only see what they want to see, prejudice sucks!

When it first became known she was in Hospital I thought no, not a suicide attempt, but the media glossed it over and I was led to believe it was a stress thing, seriously though if you have had a bad experience from cyber bullying pass it onto to someone who can take it further for you or turn the device off and have someone delete the abuse for you.

To an extent cyber abuse can have a mental and emotional toll on some people. So I respect Dawsons actions. We have no idea what she has experienced in the past or in her childhood. She featured in a cyber bullying campaign and gets amounts of abuse thrown back her way. Its not like she was openly asking for it, just addressing the issue.
But why they would retweet it or make it publicly known is beyond me. It's exactly what the attacker wants in the first place.
Either block it or delete it.
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

@innsaneink said:
Theres always a line crossed…..its been crossed in Robbies case imo.

Where the lines exactly are vary from individual to individual

I remember Benjis mum joined this forum when he first was graded, she didnt stay long - wisely.

One Q. **UD:....did you happen to see the message in question to Robbie?**

Yes I did. One of the more disgraceful and depraved things i've seen posted online, yet so over the top in its context you had to know it was purely inflammatory.

I still stand by my statement - If legislation is drawn from this its an extremely dangeorus precedent that can be set - not only for blogs and forums, but for general news media.

Where do you draw the line? - Dead relatives? Girlfriends? Pets? Hairstyles? Game day performance? Half the "OMG MOLTZEN SUCKS YO" threads on here could in theory come under the ire of the law if Moltz himself decides to one day jump on the forum and read through a few unsavoury posts, and legislation like O'Farrell wants to present gets a leg up…

@innsaneink said:
Draconian laws…..get a grip UD
We are talking about being civilised adults...I think youve lost sight of what we are talking about

It would be nice to think everyone on the internet was civilised, but the fact is the are many who are not and think thats something that needs to be understood. Im not a fan of the argument that "that you wouldn't say it to him on the street etc etc" because lets face it the internet is a very different place and as such the laws should be different. If, for example someone was to go up to Robbie in the street and harass him and make the same comment he doesn't have the option of just turning off the computer does he?

Im not condoning the comments directed at Robbie but I think some on here have gotten a touch carried away, understandably as its Robbie but suggestions of jail sentences? far to harsh IMO

@Flippedy said:
@reyre2000 said:
If Robbie had to be hospitalised because of what some twat said on twit id be saying he represents the Tigers pretty fittingly this year, soft as butter.

Apples and Oranges, The only common factor here is twitter. This "princess" went all diva where as Robbie manned up and said he'd rip the guys freakin face off and has left some pretty nicely worded statements in the press of late. Well done Robbie. Ms Dawson has just begun to sit up in bed!…..id expect no one on this forum to compare the two flipperdy. Very disappointing.

Like I said, everybody handles things differently - who are we to judge that? You don't know people's background, what they've already been through in life to cause them to react in a certain way or what was even said to Dawson on twitter in the first instance. As far as I'm aware, she has been bombarded with vile and degrading comments about her personhood. Robbie, on the other hand, has received one comment (albeit a disgusting one) about his mother. Either way, both of these people are the victims here, neither deserved it and both need to be supported in whatever way they choose to address it. And as far as Dawson not doing anything proactive in her response - she was the one who actually brought this twitter trolling BS to the attention of the media in the first place when she was interviewed on a current affairs program. People only see what they want to see, prejudice sucks!

I fully understand your point about not knowing her background and its a valid point in many cases but come on shes a model, tv presenter etc has a very priviliged life so how hard could it be?

@GNR4LIFE said:
So let me get this straight. She's in hospital for being attacked on twitter aka cyber bullying? there wasn't anything physical done to her? did i read that right? Its like in South Park Randy Marsh ending up in hospital after being served

To be fair to randy , he did get served in quiet a few places !!
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

Latest posts

Members online

Back