Chris Lawrence

No one could ever think Lawrence doesn't give 150% he is one of the most committed players and trainers in the game just his body isn't responding and in defence he has been let down by his coaches

@Boonboon2 said:
No one could ever think Lawrence doesn't give 150% he is one of the most committed players and trainers in the game just his body isn't responding and in defence he has been let down by his coaches

And thats why it would be the hardest thing to do in saying it wasn't working out and we were going to let him go :frowning:
And the comment I made before wasn't a joke ,if we could get exta size on Rowdy could he make it as a prop ??

Defensively his issue with guys how can outmanouvere him Props will run straight at him which he doesn't seem to have a problem with

I was going off at tedesco all night at the game but looking back at the replay I saw that he was left 2-on-1 with lyon and williams on several occasions. Lawrence'e defensive decision making is atrocious and something completely unrelated to the injury. Yes his speed has also been affected but an injury should not effect how you make split second decisions.

On a side note, I thought our attack flowed a lot better when tedesco was at the back. However, moltzen has been playing too well to be dropped. Would anyone oppose shifting moltzen to the wing, he's improved out of sight under the high ball and would provide some much needed speed on the edges.

Moltzen to centre, Lawrence to wing. I reckon Moltzen would be better defensively at centre than Lawrence and has a better passing game and footwork. Lawrence is shot but might be able to add some value on the wing while Koro is out.

I have always hated how people like to turn centres into backrowers. Ive always believed that you leave the big strong centres where they are, however, the situation with Lawrence is a little different.

Lawrence is lacking the explosive speed that helped him burst onto the scene. His lateral movement is down and struggles to tackle when someone gets on the outside of him. His footwork was never fancy but he's even lost some of that.

NOW, take a look at this. Chris Lawrence is our best one on one hitter in the team. He even hits harder than Gareth IMO. His hit ups when we are on the backfoot coming out of our end are strong.

For me, he is showing all the signs that the backrow is where he will re-establish himself. I can see him playing an Anthony Watmough type role but with a better ability to hit the edges. It really could be the making of him.

I'd play Chris off the bench for the rest of the year as an impact left backrower and see how he goes. Then an off season putting just a few more kg's on will see him as a fast powerful backrower that hits like a truck.

Re: Chris Lawrence

Unread postby king sirro » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:12 pm
I have always hated how people like to turn centres into backrowers. Ive always believed that you leave the big strong centres where they are, however, the situation with Lawrence is a little different.

Lawrence is lacking the explosive speed that helped him burst onto the scene. His lateral movement is down and struggles to tackle when someone gets on the outside of him. His footwork was never fancy but he's even lost some of that.

NOW, take a look at this. Chris Lawrence is our best one on one hitter in the team. He even hits harder than Gareth IMO. His hit ups when we are on the backfoot coming out of our end are strong.

For me, he is showing all the signs that the backrow is where he will re-establish himself. I can see him playing an Anthony Watmough type role but with a better ability to hit the edges. It really could be the making of him.

I'd play Chris off the bench for the rest of the year as an impact left backrower and see how he goes. Then an off season putting just a few more kg's on will see him as a fast powerful backrower that hits like a truck.

I'm not quite ready to write him off yet. But I'm close. He looked knackered to me before Cherry-Evans' try.
And just on that - there are 12 blokes who should hang their head in shame. The fact that our biggest forward, Aaron Woods was the only player to have a fair dinkum go, even though he must have known he had no chance of catching the guy (unless he tripped over), is a damning indictment on the rest of the team. If I was Potter I'd be 'explaining' to those other 12 players just what they looked like when they let Woods do go that 'extra mile' on his own.

I keep waiting and hoping for Lawerence to bounce back and find that brillance of old. Maybe a change of scene either a poitional change (I'd out with the backrow) or a change of clubs would do him good.

@derailed said:
I keep waiting and hoping for Lawerence to bounce back and find that brillance of old. Maybe a change of scene either a poitional change (I'd out with the backrow) or a change of clubs would do him good.

Won't do him much good if his problem is physical.

@GNR4LIFE said:
Good to see people are finally waking up to the fact that its his injury that has been responsible for his form over the last 12 months. There was so much ignorance on here last yr with people saying he was bludging when the truth all along was that he was suffering the after affects of almost being crippled the season before.

How has it taken people this long to see it?

We on the forum aren't the ones who need to be convinced. The coach needs to evaluate what is best for the team and stick by his convictions.
Can't remember anyone say Lawrence was bludging last year, if they were that is ridiculous, the bloke has always given his best.
If the injury is still bothering him 18 months later there is every chance he ain't ever gonna get over it, Iike Happy said: maybe we should let him go while we can still get something in return for him?

I'd be trying him out in the forwards before saying sayonara. Could have the potential to turn into a Luke Lewis type player

Supposedly he did a bit of damage to his hammy in the Parra game and shouldn;t have played against Manly. Probably with Koro out they tried to manage him through the game so that side of the backline wasn;t completely inexperienced. Didn;t work.

I think everyone on this Forum loves Lawrence me included but he is unfortunately a shadow of the player he once was. I agree he should be turned into a second rower but would do it through the vehicle of State Cup. In the meantime promote Tim Simona.

Our backline needs pace and I believe we have the cattle at the club

Teddy
Koro
Simona
Ashyford
Nofo/Moltzen

I am not the biggest Moltzen fan but do admit he has played well this year but Teddy appears to be a better full back option which the make up of our side requires,

would we consider him in the backrow? Bring him on to replace Anasta?

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

I agree Lawrence is a shadow if his former self

But in his defense of that DCE try the other night, he might not have given 100% chase because of the irregular events leading up to that try. (Sometimes the refs let the play go on for abit until they decide to call it back due to communicating with the pocket refs)

So yeah, if it was a legit break away or intercept, I'm pretty sure Lawrence would have put in more effort

I am not fussed about the intercept.

It is when forced to backpedal and read the play he seems to no longer have the first step power to close gaps and that allows line breaks. Paired with his rush infield defence it is a real concern

@mtd said:
would we consider him in the backrow? Bring him on to replace Anasta?

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

Yep - agree with that. He would basically shift two in and defend closer to the ruck. Although in Rowdy's defence in 2010-11 wasn't Benji playing on that side of the field? The opportunities he got were much better than what Milky provides - (I don't think Milky will make the grade with the TIgers unfortunately).

I think if he had someone distributing the ball that allowed him to hit the holes he used to we mightn't be complaining.

Also, those calling For Moltzen to be played at wing need to understand that a winger normally makes dirty yards on the first hit-up. Could you imagine Timmy doing that? The starts to our sets of six would be appauling. we struggle with go forward enough as is.

Latest posts

Back