Could be a dumb question

hank37w

This could be a dumb question but you know that NRL team that originates from south of the border, I believe they are called Melbourne Storm as far as I know, but the question I have is why do so many people refer to them as "Storms."

I don't know, maybe I've got it wrong but I always thought they were "Melbourne Storm" or just simply "Storm."

I don't know where it comes from but "Storms" really pisses me off, am I just an old cranky Tigers supporter that hasn't seen anywhere near enough Premierships in their time or does it piss anyone else off as well.

Honest question, because it pisses me off as much as it pisses off @Geo when the "LIVE GAME" pre-fix banner goes missing from the NRL Round Spoilers. Couldn't help but notice that @Geo is a "Storms" man/person/whatever.

This could be a dumb question but you know that NRL team that originates from south of the border, I believe they are called Melbourne Storm as far as I know, but the question I have is why do so many people refer to them as "Storms."

I don't know, maybe I've got it wrong but I always thought they were "Melbourne Storm" or just simply "Storm."

I don't know where it comes from but "Storms" really pisses me off, am I just an old cranky Tigers supporter that hasn't seen anywhere near enough Premierships in their time or does it piss anyone else off as well.

Honest question, because it pisses me off as much as it pisses off @Geo when the "LIVE GAME" pre-fix banner goes missing from the NRL Round Spoilers. Couldn't help but notice that @Geo is a "Storms" man/person/whatever.
It's Storm.
Ppl saying storms are either retarded or taking the piss

Never called them storms my self but I remember a competition to name them and a little girl made a picture with some pencils and texters and she won and she called them the Melbourne Storm

Reactions: PJ_

That has annoyed me also - “storms” - ridiculously illiterate

Thank God they are not publicly seething. Radio personality Mark Levy has told nine.com.au Reynolds’ family is “privately seething” about how Reynolds was treated before he ultimately accepted a three-year, $2.4 million deal with Brisbane.
Thought this belonged in the dumb category.

Never heard anyone call them that. Anyone that does it's a reflection on their poor grammar,

But yes the West Tigers is a far bigger and more frequent crime

Calling them Storms is a deliberate act to upset Storm supporters.

Reactions: Geo
It’s the affect of pluralisation.
The Melbourne team collectively can’t be known as the Storm ‘singular’ just as all the other 15 teams are named as an object that is in plural form.
Consider it from another perspective would people be asking the same question if the New Zealand team were known as the Aukland ‘past’ or current New Zealand Warrior?
Gold Coast Titan?
After all the name is in representation of the club as a whole.

In the end I believe Melbourne did it too create this dissimilarity and to ultimately lead to this debate.

I laugh every time some one says the Storms, but technically they are correct.

Edit. Nevermind the examples, they too can only be Plural.
The plural form of Storm is Storms.
So ultimately the club got it wrong in the first place when it named them.

Last edited:
Used to annoy me until Brandon Smith started calling them Storms. Now I’m on board with it.

It’s the affect of pluralisation.
The Melbourne team collectively can’t be known as the Storm ‘singular’ just as all the other 15 teams are named as an object that is in plural form.
Consider it from another perspective would people be asking the same question if the New Zealand team were known as the Aukland ‘past’ or current New Zealand Warrior?
Gold Coast Titan?
After all the name is in representation of the club as a whole.

In the end I believe Melbourne did it too create this dissimilarity and to ultimately lead to this debate.

I laugh every time some one says the Storms, but technically they are correct.

Edit. Nevermind the examples, they too can only be Plural.
The plural form of Storm is Storms.
So ultimately the club got it wrong in the first place when it named them.
Now I know why you need a name, sorry names 🤣🤣🤣

Back