Dragons target Robbie Farah's kicking

G

Dragons target Robbie Farah's kicking

* Steve Gee
* June 25, 2010 12:00AM
\
\
THE Dragons have turned to reading body language in a bid to shut down the deadly kicking game of Robbie Farah in tonight's clash with Wests Tigers.

With his left-right combination with Benji Marshall, the Tigers have one of the toughest kicking games to read for rival fullbacks and wingers.

Farah's penchant for 40-20s and huge territorial gains from dummy-half are key weapons.

But St George fullback Darius Boyd says the Dragons have prepared by studying the body language nuances of the Tigers skipper's kicking game.

The ploy comes as both the Dragons' and Tigers' plans have been thrown into disarray as Farah battles to recover from a corked shin that has prevented him from training all week.

"We will just [watch] where he might be standing a bit different or something like that to compensate for the left foot," he said. "We watched a bit of video and it depends where they are on the field. If they're inside the 40m and more so what side of the field they're on."

Boyd said the left-right combination of Farah and Marshall made the Tigers' kicking game difficult to counter.

"They have Benji and whoever else on the right and [Robbie] on the left, which makes it a lot harder," he said. "But we've got a bit of a plan for what us back three are going to do so I think we should be right." Boyd has been the Dragons' most consistent player this year, with his attack and faultless form under the high ball making the side impregnable at the back.

Boyd expects the Tigers' attack to ask plenty of questions of the NRL's best defence.

"They can score tries all over the park so we have to cut down the time for their key players like Farah and Benji," he said.

"It's wherever they are on the field. Robbie is always around the middle doing his thing and then Benji is out wider, and I suppose wherever Benji is we will probably look to have a few numbers there.

"But whenever both those guys are on the field you've got to be worried."

Following Origin II, Boyd will play his third game in 10 days, but insists he is fresh.

"I'm feeling good," he said. "I haven't had any injuries, touch wood, [just] a few niggles and I think we've got the week off after the third Origin game [on July 7] so I will be looking forward to that."

i never think of kicking as our strong point, alot of our 40-20 attempts dont work. we like running on the last tackle with some grubbers through, so i really hope the dragons back line have wasted time studying our kicking game.

can't wait to see this game!!!!!!

lol, do we have a kicking game? It's funny how they want to target our kicking game and we suck at it. Anyways, Farah is playing and hope he has a good kicking game on him tonight none the less!!

Members online

Back