Every club has bad years

krayola

This year is ours.

We've had a pretty good run actually. It's been 10 years since our last truly poor season. At the end of 2003, there was very little internally at the club that you could look to and say "that gives me hope". We employed a turnstile called Cory Pearson, a great touch football player called Hasan Saleh, a tryer called Fitzhenry and a reserve grade half called Ben Jeffries.

But Benji came along, Princey, Richards and a few other fringe players got signed, and most importantly, the first real products of our junior systems came through the following year. We reaped the benefits of this, particularly the junior crop, up until this season. We weren't great for all of that time, but we weren't as bad as now either. But with most of those juniors now gone, it's time to rebuild. And to truly rebuild, you need to bottom out, which is what this season represents.

Over the last 10 years, current powerhouses Manly, Souths, Easts, the Cowboys, and the Dogs have all had dreadful years. We've hung nearly 50 on all of those teams in their lean years (bar Manly). Manly's bad year helped uncover Anthony Watmough. The others, caused by financial mismanagement, poor recruitment and injury toll, helped sweep a broom through clubs, be it in player ranks or admin staff. I see similarities between these clubs and our current predicament.

Those clubs above, and others I haven't mentioned, like the Warriors, the Titans and the Raiders, all emerged from bad years with better playing rosters and a realisation that things needed to change. That process is already beginning here too and I doubt in coming years they'll be too many 50 point losses.

So please, some of you, suck it up. This is the year that had to happen.

true mate, the only thing harder then being a tiger fan at the moment is bein a dad of young tiger cub he's takin it bad but told him true supporter mate thats what we are

Every club?? never seen the storm and Broncos have a bad year a bad year for them would be finishing 8th

@Golden said:
Every club?? never seen the storm and Broncos have a bad year a bad year for them would be finishing 8th

Storm when they got busted for cheating the cap, got the spoon….I would call that a bad year.

Broncos are lucky to have such a massive pool. 3 Teams for 4.5 million people. Not bad.

Also they are well managed, unlike us.

I agree to a degree, and hope that blooding so many youngsters will result in some added depth and competition for positions next year.

However, if you look at teams like the Dogs or Roosters, they respond to poor seasons by opening the cheque book. So far our only signing is Pat Richards, and most good players were signed up months back. I think it might be a slow rebuild for us.

Golden you're spot on. The storm have cap help meaning that a bad year is harder to come by. Theyve also had the benefit of having coaches in Anderson and Bellamy who happen to be two of the best of their respective generations. A by product of their success is that players then want to go there. It speaks loudly about Sheens as a coach that even after 2005 and his appointment as Aus. coach no players were keen to come here.
Brisbane doesn't need explaining but there's a coach by product there again.

Masterton, one thing I should have added is that I think we try to recruit but rarely succeed. Going back to the ARL days our clubs were both viewed as laughing stocks and merging them hardly changes that. We have opened our pockets over the years but probably had to pay a bit more than other clubs because our culture isn't as desirable. Our boards ridiculous actions are hardly welcoming for potential recruits. Hence why most of our playing roster aside from the fringe players like Cashmere, Cayless and the like are club juniors. That's our club identity so far these 14 years but perhaps change is in the air.

ive said many times that i think the way to stay competitive is to use what i call the Ferguson Method: continually give young players a go progressively so that in coming years the core of the team is ready.
right now i think we are seeing the the product of tim sheens not doing this enough. sure he gave a lot of young guys a start, but for too long he held too many back.
at man united, they are (were) always giving young guys games, dropping them back, more games, etc… it is a progressive maturation process whereby when the time comes they are ready to replace the incumbents.
the bright side of right now is that with this exaggerated version of this process, the tigers will be far better off in seasons to come as guys like nofu, sirronen, sue, etc, will be well prepared to form the core.

@spudoakes said:
true mate, the only thing harder then being a tiger fan at the moment is bein a dad of young tiger cub he's takin it bad but told him true supporter mate thats what we are

not a dad myself yet, but once read that supporting a sporting team is good for kids because it gives them a way to see that not everything in life is always peachy. these days, everything is geared towards non competitiveness. in juniors, every kid gets a trophy, and here in WA (aussie rules) they dont even keep the score. how is this good for kids?! seems like they just cant handle any sort of disappointments.

:crazy

its great that your son is learning a valuable lesson about loyalty! good on you. :slight_smile:

again, im not a dad myself, so can only give my opinion as i see it. more than willing to be told i am wrong.

I don't mind having a bad year now and then. Every year, one team comes first and one comes last.

But if a team comes last too often, what happens? Crowds fall. Sponsorship money falls. In-fighting increases. Then what?

Either:
a) you remain a cellar dweller for years on end (eg Wests and Balmain during the 90s)
b) you have a white knight step in (eg Souths)
c) more drastic measures (eg Fitzroy in the AFL)
d) you become extinct (eg Norths)

Members online

Back