Fifita

hybrid_tiger

How good is this guy?

More importantly, how strong is his fend? We have been missing an impact prop like this for years, he is aggressive, makes plenty of metres, and ALWAYS has a go. He hits the line like a truck and often drags three or four players with him everytime.

He will play Origin in a few years. Unfortunately he is a Queenslander. :cry:

he is from griffith though maybe he could do something ala inglis and his queenslander heritage. Awesome effort 6 hitups for 150 m is incredible in anyones language

Give him another off-season in the gym to work on his strength and lose a little more fat, Fifita can stamp himself as one of the best young front rowers in the game in the next 12 months. He's such a hard player to tackle 1 on 1, as his fend as you mention Hybrid, is so damn strong and effective. Another strong game from him once again tonight.

is he off contract at the end of this year?

i want him to be the next player signed to a 3 year contract.

would be shattered to finally get a young prop and then lose him.

priority no.1

The brothers were sent down to Griffiths because they were getting into a bit of trouble is the story I heard.

Has a bit of mongrel too, just needs to watch the self control (a bit Gibbs like at times)

His fend is impressive yes but he is actually starting to take the line on at pace. A part of his game that has been somewhat lacking in his First Grade appearances.

Great to see him improving all the time though

@smeghead said:

Thats what I think is most impressive. He's come straight into first grade and I don't remember him ever looking out of place. Which for such a young guy playing as a prop where players normally don;t make much of an impact until they are older is very unusual.
But at the same time every game you can see him getting better and better and learning more. He obviously is working really hard off the paddock as well as having a heap of natural talent.
Mighty impressive start to a career for such a young prop.

We need to extend his contract a.s.a.p.

Our props are looking good. Galloway and Fifita can both have an impact. Gibbs can grind it out. Maybe we will get another quality prop but Payten at the moment can ball play and defend well.

He was sent to griffith from western sydney was the story I thought? I'm not really sure where the queenslander claims are from…

I think he is originally from the penrith area but him and his brother were getting into some trouble with the wrong crowd so their parents sent them to griffith to live with relos in their teens. From there they were chased by about 7 nrl clubs. I believe they actually came down and played a trial with the sharks 20s but then we snuck under their guard and signed them.

http://www.areanews.com.au/news/local/sport/general/fifitas-future-decided/1330266.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doesn;t explicitly state where he's from but the last line says his family live in Sydney.

Fifita’s future decided
SCOTT HAZLEWOOD
10 Oct, 2008 08:04 AM
IT WILL be a case of same colours different club for barnstorming ball-runner Andrew Fifita in 2009, after being signed by the Wests Tigers Toyota Cup side.

The recent premiership winner with the Waratah Tigers impressed scouts with his performances in the local competition and also with trials in Sydney.

The rampaging second-rower was courted by as many as four NRL clubs during the past year, with the Tigers beating Manly, Cronulla and Melbourne for the 19-year-old’s services.

But Fifita’s signature could have easily ended up on a Sharks contract, having trialled with the shire-based side before deciding to side with the club close to his heart.

Speaking to The Area News from Sydney on Wednesday, Fifita said it was good to finally have his future decided, adding the hard work now begins with a tortuous off-season already planned for the new recruit. “It’s good to finally sign something,” Fifita said.

“I’ve been down here the last few weeks training with a lot of the first grade guys and they have been really good.

“The rest of the club has been really good as well, looking after me.”

Fifita has seen a lot of the inside of the Wests Tigers gym over the last few weeks, and has been put on notice that the club expects him to practically live there over the summer months.

“I’ve already been doing weights sessions and a fair bit of cardio as well,” he said.

“In the weight sessions they really max you out, but they have put me on a diet as well and they said they want me to get bigger and fitter before the end of the pre-season.”

If he manages to tick both off his to-do list, Fifita said club officials have already waved a first grade jersey in his face if injuries in the top-grade and his personal form warrant his promotion.

“They said they’re not afraid about putting me up for a debut if they needed me, but I’m just trying to take it one step at a time,” he said.

Fifita, who also excelled at rugby union, said there was never as much lure from the other code, despite being picked in the Southern Inland Rugby Union country representative side earlier this year.

The ACT Brumbies also picked him in a squad of merit earlier in the year, but the hard-running forward said league was always going to win out.

Andrew won’t be the only Fifita in a Tigers jersey next year, with twin brother David also being snapped up by the black and golds.

The move is also beneficial for Fifita off the field, as it reunites him with his family who live in Sydney.

@smeghead said:
His fend is impressive yes but he is actually starting to take the line on at pace. A part of his game that has been somewhat lacking in his First Grade appearances.

He got caught out defensively again last night. That same scene of when a line break is made he is seen trudging back with no sense of urgency looking at the ground.
Both brothers do it.
Hope they both can work hard on this part of their game and continue to stamp their authority with the big boys. The next two years should see these boys step up to a somewhat phenomenal level.

Wow….21 playing in the toughest position on the field....

Fifita is fantastic.....

I predicited at the beginning of the year he will be Rookie of the Year and i still think he is head and shoulders above anyone else. Literally!

Latest posts

Back