First two NRL rounds face axe if.....

TheDaBoss

Well-known member
The NRL’s innovations committee will decide on Thursday whether to controversially scrap the opening two rounds of the season and start the premiership from scratch when the competition resumes.

It is understood the committee — christened Project Apollo — will not only send a recommendation to the ARL Commission on what form the competition should take and where it should be based when it resumes, but also whether the two games that have already been played should still count.


Should they opt to scrap those two games, it is likely to prompt outrage at the clubs who began the season with wins before the competition was forced into hibernation by COVID-19.

READ NEXT

Commissioner Wayne Pearce, who heads up Project Apollo, said the final decision would lay with the ARL Commission but the committee would make a recommendation later this week.

It is understood there are concerns over the impact the opening two games would have on the integrity of the competition should it resume under a conference format.

“We will probably be determining whether or not we use the competition points from the start of the year,” Pearce said. “Some people would say that would take away the integrity of the competition if you are going to have a different competition structure.

READ MORE:Junior eyes June lift-off for NRL, barring hysteria
“Others will say the players have played two games and it should count. There are pros and cons both ways.”

Adding another layer of complexity to the decision is the presence of Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson and Canberra chief executive Don Furner on the committee.

Robinson’s Sydney Roosters, the defending premiers, lost both their games before the competition was forced to stop. Furner’s Raiders, beaten in last year’s grand final, won both their games. Both have plenty to win and lose depending on the outcome, particularly if the competition is reduced to 15 rounds when the NRL is given the green light to go again.

Yet former deputy premier Troy Grant, part of the committee that is deciding the immediate fate of rugby league, insisted both men only had the game’s best interests at heart.

“In that first meeting we had Trent and Donnie Furner, and I am not exaggerating or embellishing this, they made suggestions that were detrimental to both their clubs for the good of the game,” Grant said.

“So I have no question about their integrity. I was sitting there surprised with a couple of their suggestions. I know people like to throw stones but I can guarantee you they are rugby league men and they are only doing it for the good of the game.”

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart was adamant the two rounds already played should stand.

“The NRL told us earlier the first two rounds would stand,” Stuart said. “If they were to go back on this and create a whole new competition it is totally unfair to every team that prepared for the first two games and won competition points. I promise you I would fight this for my players, our sponsors and every single Raiders fan. I’m positive Trent Robinson who is on the innovations committee understands how hard players work in preparation for the start of the season and deserve their results.”

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold, whose team is also undefeated in 2020, backed Stuart.

“Surely that’s not right,” Seibold said. “For the integrity of the competition the first two games need to be counted. Obviously I’m going to say that because we’ve won two games but it’s the fair way.”

The Australian understands Grant will speak to NSW Police Commissioner Michael Fuller and NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian in coming days to seek clarity around what the NRL needs to do to convince them the time is right to reignite the game.

The game is navigating a series of minefields as it attempts to resume playing in coming weeks, not least where it should station the players should they be placed in ‘bubbles’.

There has been a push for a conference system with eight teams based in Sydney and eight in Brisbane, although there is also a belief the game would be best served by having every team in one city. Western Sydney would seem the most logical destination given it would mean players would have instant access to medical facilities as well as training grounds.

The NRL’s greatest ally in getting the competition going again may be statistics that show the infection rate has been dropping — on Sunday it was 2.21 per cent in NSW compared to 22.27 per cent when the competition was stopped on March 23.

The southeast corner of Queensland and Townsville are also in the mix to host teams when the competition resumes.

The Australian has seen the proposal by the consortium pushing Suncorp Stadium and Cbus Super Stadium on the Gold Coast as potential venues for the code.

Their proposal suggests consideration should be given to allow families to join the players in quarantine — and raised the prospect of in-house schooling for players’ children.

Suncorp Stadium chief Alan Graham has forwarded a proposal to the NRL to have games played at three venues over a nine-week period — Suncorp, Cbus Super Stadium and potentially Redcliffe.

“While no one can predict for sure, we would speculate that at that time, social distancing measures are likely to be still in place and the competition would therefore restart without spectators,” the proposal reads.

“Even if borders are reopened by then there would still be a need to provide adequate quarantining of players, coaching staff and officials to ensure the competition is not disrupted by any fresh outbreaks amongst the key participants.

“Our proposal is designed to address each of these risks and provide the NRL with the opportunity to relaunch the competition in a safe, well managed environment as a critical stepping stone in putting the game and all of its stakeholders back on the road to recovery

“The number of teams to be based in each location is flexible. Consideration can also be given to allow families to join the players given the duration they may be in these quarantined properties. In-house schooling could be an option for player’s children.”
 
@tigerbenji said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140081) said:
Thought Greenburgh said point would stand.

Why would you believe anything Greenturd said?
 
Just goes to show once again how self Centered our society is ... Getting the Como up and running again would be a miracle... Shorten comp / no Warriors players actually given the opportunity to earn a wage .. but wait what about our points from the other suspended comp .. honestly selfishness knows no bounds these days !
 
I think they need to spend more money on a committee to check over what the other committee is thinking..who then can report to the decision committee which can determine which committee' proposal the games committee will introduce then get approval from the final committee..
 
@Geo said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140087) said:
I think they need to spend more money on a committee to check over what the other committee is thinking..who then can report to the decision committee which can determine which committee' proposal the games committee will introduce then get approval from the final committee..

.......righto :joy:
 
@happy_tiger said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140033) said:
Keep the points ...forget the for and against perhaps .....

Keep the points and for and against - that puts us 4th in our conference
 
@Geo said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140087) said:
I think they need to spend more money on a committee to check over what the other committee is thinking..who then can report to the decision committee which can determine which committee' proposal the games committee will introduce then get approval from the final committee..

Yes minister
 
@Geo said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140087) said:
I think they need to spend more money on a committee to check over what the other committee is thinking..who then can report to the decision committee which can determine which committee' proposal the games committee will introduce then get approval from the final committee..

Yes, Sir Humphrey Appleby.
 
@jadtiger said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140097) said:
@Geo said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140087) said:
I think they need to spend more money on a committee to check over what the other committee is thinking..who then can report to the decision committee which can determine which committee' proposal the games committee will introduce then get approval from the final committee..

Yes minister

lol..that's the NRL in a nutshell tho..it would be funny if it wasn't serious..

I'm mean they have a Refs committee of 6 blokes who decide on who the ref is going to be that week..a rule committee .. a whole of game committee..a judiciary committee..probably a how much air to put in the ball committee..

Then they wonder where all the money went..
 
@Geo said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140099) said:
@jadtiger said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140097) said:
@Geo said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140087) said:
I think they need to spend more money on a committee to check over what the other committee is thinking..who then can report to the decision committee which can determine which committee' proposal the games committee will introduce then get approval from the final committee..

Yes minister

lol..that's the NRL in a nutshell tho..it would be funny if it wasn't serious..

I'm mean they have a Refs committee of 6 blokes who decide on who the ref is going to be that week..a rule committee .. a whole of game committee..a judiciary committee..probably a how much air to put in the ball committee..

Then they wonder where all the money went..

Yes it really is tragic the way these imposters have conducted themselves.I have always had many issues with the administration of the game but it has intensified since the formation of the NRL,they are incompetant beyond measure
 
@Snake said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140084) said:
Just goes to show once again how self Centered our society is ... Getting the Como up and running again would be a miracle... Shorten comp / no Warriors players actually given the opportunity to earn a wage .. but wait what about our points from the other suspended comp .. honestly selfishness knows no bounds these days !

Warriors were in deep turmoil having to stay in Australia for two rounds not knowing when they would return to NZ. The two teams, each of which took took 2 points from their matches against the Warriors, should not be entitled to keep them especially as the Warriors won't be playing at all in the new competition. On the basis of fairness all points won by teams in the old competition must be forfeited for the new competition.
 
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-scraps-points-stripping-plan-after-player-backlash/news-story/1ae9eb94e10ca299f506c2057cf6fc44

maybe not
 
No conflict of interest here 😂! Not when the Pearse’s are involved.. This whole game is run by mugs..
How can a totally different Comp with two different conferences and one team not playing and shortened to half the season be classified the same as the postponed season .. am I missing something other than preferential treatment ! the NRL are an organisation that just keeps giving .. a book needs to be written about this mob the 101 how to destroy a sporting organisation ..
 
@Snake said in [First two NRL rounds face axe if\.\.\.\.\.](/post/1140155) said:
No conflict of interest here 😂! Not when the Pearse’s are involved.. This whole game is run by mugs..
How can a totally different Comp with two different conferences and one team not playing and shortened to half the season be classified the same as the postponed season .. am I missing something other than preferential treatment ! the NRL are an organisation that just keeps giving .. a book needs to be written about this mob the 101 how to destroy a sporting organisation ..

Again I ask Snake ...what choice do they have in regards to getting the comp up and running unless we base all teams at one place
 

Latest posts

Members online

Back
Top