Gallen not being picked for Blues

benjibrotown

Does anyone else think that this was a disgraceful decision leaving him out of the side? In my opinion there is no other player in the NRL who puts in more effort week to week. This guy carries the Cronulla Sharks and to be left out for players like Waterhouse and Idris on the bench is so stupid. If they want to talk about picking players will mongrel for NSW (Ennis) why not apply this to Gallen. Great efforts tonight once again from him with 200metres in running metres, 38 tackles and 3 offloads. In my opinion he must be picked for game 2!!
What does everybody else think??

I know that many would disagree but I love him as a player.

He should have been picked

Backrow is the one position where NSW couldn't go wrong. Gallen has that mongrel and all those quality attributes and is performing weekly with the Sharks. He is unlucky though one could say he hasn't achieved at that level and now its someone elses turn.

I know he isnt well liked but the guy works his backside off.

He's almost the equivalent of 2 players, makes 40 tackles a game and 25 hitups with some offloads.

I'd take him over Creagh or Waterhouse.

Waterhouse is a myth. Poor selection.

I wish we signed him when he had the "chance". Would've been excellent playing lock as a 3rd tight runner, could fill in as a shadow prop (which he does in his current role) and could allow Ellis to play as a wide running backrower rather than having to make the hard yards.

he's a workhorse and has been carrying the sharks for awhile, but he's been useless for every origin game he's played, ill discipline high error count just a liability imo

i think he fits this myth of 'origin style player' but don't think he should be picked

Considering guys like Josh Perry and Brett White have been picked, his go forward would've been amazingly handy.

lol "nothing else to say"…...thanks for your contribution.

The bloke can play, in fact he regularly has stats that rival those of two players put together - especially in meters gained.

People in here get delirious when Galloway has 13 runs for 100 meters...Gallen does twice that every game.

@stryker said:
lol "nothing else to say"…...thanks for your contribution.

The bloke can play, in fact he regularly has stats that rival those of two players put together - especially in meters gained.

People in here get delirious when Galloway has 13 runs for 100 meters...Gallen does twice that every game.

In fact to back that statement up Stryker last night Gallen made 220 metres with the ball, in Galloways last 3 matches all together he ran 250 metres. I know its not all about stats but it just shows you how much this guy gets through compared to a top prop in the competition, not to mention the amount of impact he makes on a game. It just
astonishes me that leroy larhs, Waterhouse a White get picked before him.

Gallen is in a similar boat to Farah and Campese. Despite having a mortgage over their position in their club sides, they don't play the traditional role for that position. Gallen despite being a lock, sometimes plays as a prop, sometimes as a wide backrower, sometimes as a playmaker, he even gets into dummy half at times. In a rep side, you have 10 days to work with your teammates and fully understand their games, so you can play with them in the big one.

Also, on Gallen, he's aggression and impact is similar to what the Blues will get out of Watmough. If Gallen plays exclusively as a backrower, you've basically got the 2 identical players in the side. It's got to be either Watmough or Gallen, and based on last years series, Watmough gets the nod in my book. The Blues did shoot themselves in the foot by not picking a worker for the pack though (in defence). Queensland have Harrison, and before that Johnson was a key part of the side.

I wouldn't exactly say Gallen is similar to Watmough.

Watmough's a devastating edge Runner, Gallen is more of a workhorse.

I think

11\. Watmough
12\. Gallen

would've wokred quite well.

Disgraceful decision Gallen has been one of the top forwards in the game over the last couope of years and NSW really needed his aggression. I honestly cant believe Creagh got picked after running away last year and he only runs the ball when he's 20 out from his own line… NSW really needed Odonnell Gallen and Bird to add some starch to teh team

Gallen wouldn't be in my origin side, I was very unimpressed with him last year giving away silly penalties and having no impact in attack. He's tough and has a great workrate but he's not a particularly good ballplayer. He's playing lock for the Sharks and has no linebreaks, no linebreak assists and no try assists. He's simply a hitup man and you need more than that in origin. On current form I'd have Heighno in origin before Gallen. He's getting through plenty of work in attack and defence and is doing more with the ball in hand and breaking the line. He's broken twice as many tackles as Gallen too.

Back