Grant Jones

Swannie47

He comes across as an intelligent and articulate individual who really knows his stuff. He's also getting his team to play passionate smart football. (The exact opposite to the NRL team). Anyone know if he harbours ambitions to be an NRL coach and if so, could someone like him be our next coach?

I'd say he would harbour those ambitions. So he better start looking elsewhere.

I like the way he has instilled in his charges composure and patience they were gone yesterday but persisted and got over there opponents ..assistant coach next would be a stepping stone but not with Sheens witches hats has that sown up .I have been impressed though.

I said this last week in the Stephen Kearney 2012 coach thread.

Stuff Kearney, Jones is the man for the job.

2008, Gentle was the coach of the 20s, had Moltzen, Lui, Dwyer, Woods, Ayshford, Mataka and Tagive in his team, and couldn't manage a finals spot.

2009, Jones loses Moltzen, Tagive and Ayshford to first grade, Mataka to BRET, while developing Lui and Dwyer into first grade players, makes the grand final.

2010, he's lost a lot of the 2009 grand final side, but is still sitting in 2nd and looking more competitive than ever.

The guy knows how to coach a team and develop them into a well drilled side. Get rid of Sheens, Simmons and Gentle, and put Jones in there with Folkes as his assistant. You know it makes sense.

And I remember so well when he was appointed as 20's coach someone on here commented that he got the job because "he's a mate of McDonnells".

He was assistant coach at Roosters with Murray I think, way back when. Then involved with recruitment at Parra. He's been around for a while and can coach!!!!!!!!!

Jesus…can you blokes just leave Grant Jones alone...

If you stuff up my sole enjoyment of watching the Wests Tigers Under 20's team perform...I'll spew...

Look out Grant 1 loss is all it takes...

BTW ...how did you beat Souff's minus your best attacking player pulling out and then down to a 2 bench rotation cause of injury during the game,,,

At one stage I looked down to the bench and the was no one there...

@tigesup said:
And I remember so well when he was appointed as 20's coach someone on here commented that he got the job because "he's a mate of McDonnells".

He was assistant coach at Roosters with Murray I think, way back when. Then involved with recruitment at Parra. He's been around for a while and can coach!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely he can coach and if the Tigers fail to make the finals this year, which they are every chance of doing so, then Sheens should walk and Jones should take over.

Couldn't agree more Willow. Sheens re-signed promising he'll deliver results in the next two seasons. IMO that means top 8 both years, if not top 4 at least one of those years. Anything less and he should have the balls to walk.

The feeling I get is that there's a stale culture in the team with Sheens still there. He's done what he was brought in to do, but after 4 years of nothing, to me it seems like they need to start afresh.

Just on another side note, Dean Parata's performance yesterday was outstanding. His style is so similar to Isaac Luke. Could be a good back up although we've already got Carr and Corby.

@alex said:
Couldn't agree more Willow. Sheens re-signed promising he'll deliver results in the next two seasons. IMO that means top 8 both years, if not top 4 at least one of those years. Anything less and he should have the balls to walk.

The feeling I get is that there's a stale culture in the team with Sheens still there. He's done what he was brought in to do, but after 4 years of nothing, to me it seems like they need to start afresh.

Just on another side note, Dean Parata's performance yesterday was outstanding. His style is so similar to Isaac Luke. Could be a good back up although we've already got Carr and Corby.

Got more time too…

I mean Jones had to put Politoni at 5/8th switch Jackson to the wing Kaumata to fullback and I think even Spence ran in the centres late cause that's all he had left.....All on the run during a game....

WE 1st's......had Mitch Brown....lucky....

Latest posts

Back